Thread: Eureka moose hunt

Default Eureka moose hunt

My buddy and I left Friday night for a quick moose hunt. Our moose hunting "base" has primarily been in the valley so we decided to see some new country. Got up on a ridge and saw 3 cows, but then some guys on 4 wheelers decided when they too saw the cows they would camp right there. We were bummed because we had 4 wheeled 3 miles in and walked another mile and STILL couldn't get away from people. Saw 12 moose, all cows and calves except one that might have been a spike but didn't get a good look. He was the only moose that ran when seen on the road. I guess we'll just keep hunting the valley and hope our hard work pays off...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

North or South side of the highway? For hunting purposes in that area, 3 miles in isn't very far.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

We were 52 miles in a couple years ago. There were 10 or more wheelers back there. Look for the places that people drive right past.

Should have went further we went 25 miles yesterday and settled for a fork, while dressing it two 50+ moose came down the same draw but having two moose down as darkness came would just have been to much with only two machines and no extra fuel. I was amazed at the number of cows out there with out calves though.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Should have went further we went 25 miles yesterday and settled for a fork, while dressing it two 50+ moose came down the same draw but having two moose down as darkness came would just have been to much with only two machines and no extra fuel. I was amazed at the number of cows out there with out calves though.
    Bears or wolves? Saw a wolf chasing a cow moose in a pond until the cow had enough and got to shallow water and stood her ground. No calf is sight either, probably already eaten.

Ya I expected as much, just nice to get out and see some place new. Won't be going back this year though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Black bears

See many black bears up there??

i went to the same general area this weekend as well. saw one cow with 2 calves and some bunnies and ducks. found a fresh wolf track and a few bear tracks. good time for a weekend. no bulls and very few bull tracks as well
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    See many black bears up there??
    Blackies are few and far between on the north side. I've seen grizz, but never a blackie. South side of the highway may prove differently as I have seen tracks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Thanks

Thanks for the bear info.

Campingfool,
    I agree with what has been said, seen grizz and tons of grizz sign, but i have never seen any blackies and i have hunted that area for 10+ years now.

Pike_place,
    its sucks about the amount of people back there, but you do have to go farther than 3 miles back. i hear that people who get 20+ usually have good sucess.

The very unfortunate thing that has happened to that area this year is the new Tier I hunt. People who normally wouldnt moose hunt in that are are now forced to do that. Now there is more hunting pressure than in past years.

I was also hunting up there this past weekend and noticed that it was alot warmer than it normally is this time of year up there. saw cows and calfs all weekend and one bull that was in the 30" range. We also saw a Sow and cub eating on a moose kill.

Default Lot's of bears

I did a lot of scouting before the season opened up near Eureka. I probably saw over 25 cow moose and not one of them had a calf. I also saw over 15 grizzly bears. That took the guess work out of where the moose calves went. So in addition to our moose this year I also harvested a pretty sow grizzly to do my part.

are the grizzlies not shootable? I thought one a year?
    looks like i'll have to check the regs again/.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Blast away!!!

You cant take a sow if it has a cub with it, and both the ones i saw had cubs. Otherwise i would have taken one.

anyone wanna take me up there? or at least show me what its ike back there? I have an atv and will travel ... i'm only onje hour from eureka.. let me know..i have an unfilled moose harvest also.. but i might subsitance that one..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

anyone wanna take me up there? or at least show me what its ike back there?
    I might take a jaunt up there for a day during the first weekend of October if the snow hasn't hit yet. I'll let you know. It's been many years since I've been back there, but I'd be up for exploring with you and hopefully finding a bear (or two!).

i'm good with that.. let me know