Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: here moosie mooosie

Default here moosie mooosie

Well nothing so far...have shot a few grouse and the stump shooting really seems to be going well with my shoulder (torn rotator cuff that's healing extremely well).

Hammered a bunch of lowbush cranberries tonight....easy picks and tons of them....makes some great jam!

Havent seen a bull in quite awhile now though...where'd yall hide'm

havent seen squat either.. are you 20b

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Go pick berries

Hey Trady, what's up? Just go pick some berries, fall asleep in the sun, and wake up to the bull of your dreams. How much easier can it be than that?
    Good luck buddy. If I knew, I'd give a holler as I am way too busy to do something like shoot a moose right now.

My son found the "Bull Magnet" caller in the garage, be 5yo in January. He's a natural with it. Thats by far the coolest toy he's gotten his hands on. Plan is to put him to work in the yard and call one in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Greg tried the berry pickn thing yesterday..nothing! Saw a 40"er today on the way in to town from work running trucks to the shop go figure..yes sir I loaded a hole moose in the back of a govt truck haha....that'll go over like flies!

Default FMA

I've been hunting the FMA and same thing, I used to see tons of cows and calves. I've only seen one cow in like 7 days of hunting. did see a nice bull, bue he gave me the slip. Am I the only one who thinks there is less moose in the FMA (20B)?

There are still a good bit on post, Ive been back at birch looking for the bull that slipped me on opening day. I have seen quite a few cow/calf combos. Ive heard two seperate reports of a bull running around the Davis road area.

I dunno steve..post that on the regular hunting forum on here and be prepared to be lynched.

That is the intent of the FMA to reduce animals using bowhunters....and as far as I'm concerned, they've done a **** fine job of it!

saw a cow mid month at chena lakes one morning and another on the west side of the FMA...saw lots more hunters than moose! still fun though

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i see an entire herd of cows every morning on my way to the office... been there all month...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default moose are there..

I was out of town 2 weeks ago and the wife called to say there was a nice bull, cow and calf right in the drive way.

Mid day Monday, I did a stalk but didn't get close enough for a shot.

Late Monday afternoon, I had to go to work for two hours. When I got home, the wife said our dogs were bark at a moose going through the yard and across the road from my house.

Needless to say, and when I am at home, there are never moose in the yard. They must have that 6th sense, when the BigDaddy is home, they know to disappear.

Oh well, I have nearly 2 months to get an anterless in the FMA. I will be off work Monday afternon for 1 week. So, I will be beating the bushes hard.

Will they still be responsive to calling next week? What tactic work well for bringing cows in? Or calling brings the bulls, and maybe a cow with it?

should just be getting better for calling I think - rut really isn't on until about now and the next couple weeks anyway right?

But I've heard lots say that in the FMA a much more subtle calling technique should be used - don't know why...maybe all of us practicing our calls on the same moose all summer long give them some 'selective hearing' ...I did get a laugh when I had to fire up my boat and move while fishing on birch lake two summers ago because this cow was swimming out a couple hundred yards to come see me!

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    should just be getting better for calling I think - rut really isn't on until about now and the next couple weeks anyway right?

!
    Not true, cows start going into heat Sept 20-25.

ok, but doesn't that continue till mid october?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Not true, cows start going into heat Sept 20-25.
    we were watching cows get bred as we left the field this year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

perv (post to short!)

perv (post to short!)

IT WAS A little BULL......

meet on face book here

geez glad I didn't say that my post was....nevermind!

I haven't read much in it over the last couple years but I have a big moose book from the smithsonian - lots of research type stuff, biology, behavior, habitat, management, hunting, incidental kill - just tons of interesting moose stuff. Not sure if librarys have it but it's a great book. I may have to dig it up to refresh myself on rut info (not what Vince is thinking!)

just seems atleast now more so then when I first arrived here and started hunting the area (95), that they are less receptive to aggressive/loud calling, cows, bulls or raking. They do come to it! It's nothing like what I'd call more normal moose hunting (was an asst guide also). I'm by no means an expert, just seems to be my limited experience so take it for what its worth. I do have some areas that you can yell as loud as you want and NO ONE will hear you in the managment area...so calling loud in these areas does have SOME benefit. Just seems that these bulls get called to so often that they arent so receptive to it at a distance. And no I dont even own a 4 wheeler and I dont hunt out of my truck...it's all on foot!

I've called in bulls in the SPRING while out fishing, and again in the late hunt at thanksgiving in the management area...

geez glad I didn't say that my post was....nevermind!

I haven't read much in it over the last couple years but I have a big moose book from the smithsonian - lots of research type stuff, biology, behavior, habitat, management, hunting, incidental kill - just tons of interesting moose stuff. Not sure if librarys have it but it's a great book. I may have to dig it up to refresh myself on rut info (not what Vince is thinking!)

now you presume to knw what i am thinkging?

we watched a 3x3 bull... no palms breeding several cows

this is become the standard for the heavy managment areas i think the larger bulls are not avalible any longer and the samller younger animals are doing the work.

but the point was 9/24 cows were in heat.

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast