Thread: 6.5 x 55mm Swede, Primer Experiments

Default 6.5 x 55mm Swede, Primer Experiments

PRIMER EXPERIMENT

I took my old trusty m/96 out to the range today and a new (to me) CG-63.
    Unfortunately it seems the CG63 has some bedding problems as it groups right and left no matter what.

I was experimenting with different primers using a load of 46.3 grains of H-1000. I am still trying to find what is close to the original NC1220 powder.
    All loads were with Lapua brass, a Sierra 140 grain HPBT Match King bullet, and all loaded to 3.100 inches. With a very slight roll crimp.
    I fired 3 groups, of ten shots each and averaged them.

Federal 210 Match Primer.......... CG63....2,528 fps 0.90 inch group
    ................................................m/96...2,517 fps 0.60 inch group

CCI 34 Military Primer.............CG63..2,540 fps...1.0 inch group
    ............................................m/96..2,503 fps...1.5 inch group

Win, WLR primer....................CG63..2,579 fps....0.40 inch group ********* GOOD LOAD
    ............................................m/96..2,514 fps....1.0 inch group
    ONLY 17 fps extreme spread on this load!

CCI-200 Primer.......................CG63...2,560 fps...3.0 inch group
    ..............................................m/96..2,535 fps...2.0 inch group

CCI-BR-2 Primer......................CG63...2,563 fps...1.1 inch group
    ..............................................m/96....2,547 fps...0.70 inch group
    Only a 10 fps SD on this load!
    Might have shot better but both rifles were dirty and I was in a hurry.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Really

IF your CG-63 has a bedding problem "DON"T FIX IT" !! .40 at 100 yards with open sights isn't that shabby. Repairing the problem might open your groups up.

DID you ever finish your 416 Taylor?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I was experimenting with different primers using a load of 46.3 grains of H-1000. I am still trying to find what is close to the original NC1220 powder.
    Try RL-22 or Norma MRP

Repairing the problem might open your groups up
    Then you have not seen the other threads I have done with before and after my bedding jobs...

DID you ever finish your 416 Taylor
    Still looking for a stock. I ran out of money and my flying business did not do so well this year. I traded off a couple of other shootin irons but those went to vet bills or home repair...

Try RL-22 or Norma MRP
    I have done extensive experiments with RL22. It is probably the best all around powder for the 6.5x55mm. Although it is temp sensitive.

BUT, it is faster than the original NC1220 in which 46.3 grains gave 2,575 to 2,590 fps for a 139 grain boat-tail in a m/96 rifle.
    H-1000 with a WLR primer is pretty darn close.

RL-22 pushes a 139 grain at 2,730 fps using 46.3 grains, from a 29.1 inch barreled m/96. With a 0.68 inch group by the way...

I would like to try some Norma MRP ,,,if I could ever find any...

BUT, it is faster than the original NC1220 in which 46.3 grains gave 2,575 to 2,590 fps for a 139 grain boat-tail in a m/96 rifle.
    H-1000 with a WLR primer is pretty darn close.

RL-22 pushes a 139 grain at 2,730 fps using 46.3 grains, from a 29.1 inch barreled m/96. With a 0.68 inch group by the way...
    Hmmm when I pulled swedish ball the powder ran 45.3, 44 grains of RL22 duplicated the Swede velocity

I got the powder weight in grams from a Swedish military ammunition book.
    SEE ATTACHED PICS.

They list a NC1220 powder load of 3 grams (3 g = 46.2970 gr) for a 9.0 gram bullet (138.9 grains) This was for a muzzle velocity of 790 meters per second from a m.96 rifle.

They also list an old load for the original 10.1 gram (155.8 grains) using GKRIII powder and a 2.4 gram (37 grains) powder charge. I think that is close to H-380. It seems they also used this load for a 139 grain bullet in some loadings.

They also loaded tracer and armor piercing ammo with lighter bullets.(120 grain bullets) They used 2.9 grams (44.7 grains) of NC1220 powder in those loadings.

There was also ammo down-loaded so it would have the same trajectory as some anti-tank rounds. These were used for sub-caliber practice and as spotting rounds.

Note that they also loaded target ammo with a 140 grain (9.1 gram) bullet loaded to 800 meters per second.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swede ammo book pic1.jpg   Swede ammo book pic 2.jpg  

Default Re22 and MRP

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

I would like to try some Norma MRP ,,,if I could ever find any...
    Friend of mine wrote to Alliant and asked about rumors circulating about Reloader 22 and Norma MRP. According to the reply he received, Re22 and MRP are the same powder.
    When it was introduced, as I recall, Re22 wasn't noted for being real consistent, but the stuff I've used in the last ten years has been excellent.
    Not sure that I'd put a lot of effort into searching for MRP, to be honest. If I happened across a can, I'd have to give it an audition, but I'm sure not disappointed with 22, and the difference in price about caps the argument for me!

I got the powder weight in grams from a Swedish military ammunition book.
    I got the weight from my trusty Lyman DPS II

Re22 and MRP are the same powder.
    Thats my understanding

Brav01

Looks like the bedding job worked out. Although it was not with the bullet weight I expected....

Load info on pic/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5 swede 120gr loads with RL19 001.jpg  

That's impressive shooting with any rifle, and exceptional shooting with a 50yr old open sighted, military relic!

Now you've got me thinking...maybe I shouldn't re-bbl my Mod 38...

Well then there is this group from my 1900 Oberndorf made m/96 Swede Mauser....

109 years old.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5 Swede H-1000&140gr Sierra 001.jpg  

I am in awe of not just the quality of craftsmanship apparent in the old European military rifles, but also your ability to shoot them. Open sights? One shot every 20 seconds? 6kt cross wind? You've got target shooting down to an art my friend!