Thread: HD - Useful or gimmick?

Default HD - Useful or gimmick?

Looking at an upgrade from my Nikon D40X. Seeing lots of hype out there about HD capabilities, 20fps vs. 24fps, autofocus during live recording, etc., etc.

Is HD even worth factoring in to the debate about which SLR to get? Especially for outdor/nature work? Is it a practical feature that can be made good use of given the SLR's single-shot-friendly form factor?

Thanks for the input.

No one can answer that question for you. If you want the video features of HD capable DSLR, then it would be valuable. If not, it's not. Some will pay extra for it, and others will look the other way. But gimmick, it is not. For some it is highly valuable.

Not looking for someone to tell me what to buy. Looking for other's opinions on whether they found the HD useful in outdoors/nature settings, especially since SLR camera bodies aren't really made for handheld live vieo shooting. Or, did they find it looked interesting when they bought the SLR, but then found they never really used it.

Thanks for any insight folks might have.

if you shoot video clips with your camera then the HD will look far better....if you don't shoot video then don't bother....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    if you shoot video clips with your camera then the HD will look far better....if you don't shoot video then don't bother....
    Thanks, that's a helpful way to look at it. So it doesn't sound like it opens a new paradigm in outdoor/nature photography on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by plexed View Post
    it doesn't sound like it opens a new paradigm in outdoor/nature photography on its own.
    no........
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. Can't judge for others though.

Brian,

Congrats on your new purchase. I look forward to hearing (seeing) what you think of it and your impression of the video. Good luck.

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

I love my HD camcorder (Canon Vixia HF100) and have played around with the 24fps. It looks very cinema-like with the barely discernable flicker, but when flipped over to 30fps the HD quality really shines.

Personally, I'd save the money and buy a dedicated camcorder that got a higher fps.

Keep your Nikon lenses and go for the D300s
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather