Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat registration.

Default Boat registration.

Hey all, can someone please give me the skinny on registering a raft. I've got a 14 ft sb that now has a 6 hp outboard. (occasionally) I suppose I could poke around online and find the answer, but I thought I'd ask you all first to save some time.

I remember a thread awhile back that touched on this, but I didn't see any definitive answers. Do I need to register the raft just because I'm running an outboard on it, or can I get-by because it's less than 16ft?

Thanks in advance.

Anything that floats over 9'6" in length needs ak numbers on it. That is why there are a ton of kayaks sold in the 9'3" length. Motor or not.

See http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm it will have your answer. You must register all powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

HTH

Bill

This is posted in the fly fishing forum as well.

I stand correct after reading the above link. Thanks for posting it. I wasn't aware the laws had changed yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Anything that floats over 9'6" in length needs ak numbers on it. That is why there are a ton of kayaks sold in the 9'3" length. Motor or not.
    This information is incorrect. The requirement to register non-motorized boats was lifted some time ago. The link blybrook posted is the most current information I am aware of, and it shows that non-motorized boats are exempted.

The O.P. inquired about a raft with an outboard. It must be registered.

A tip on placing numbers on a raft; use a stencil and a felt marker, if the boat fabric is light enough for the marker to be read. The decal is a real problem, because it won't stick to your fabric. I stuck mine on the transom plate. Be sure to carry your registration with you in the field!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default How about electric motors

I was just wondering the same question and glad this has come up.
    Does this also mean you need this reg if you are using a electric motor or is it just gas ones.Now for a really dumb question. Where do you get boat reg ? DMV?

DA... I posted a question before reading the last link so I now at least know where to go get it .

Default Placards?

I've seen some rafts in other places with numbers and decals on a board strapped to the frame. Will this suffice here, or do the numbers have to be printed on the raft fabric?

What do I use for the hull number? The serial number from AIRE? How about a bill of sale? Will a credit card receipt suffice?

These things aren't really motor boats, they're rafts, for crying out loud.

This seems like a silly rule to me, but I guess I'll do what I have to to avoid a ticket.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Default Add a motor AND

I'm sure you have to register, BUT a printed reg form of line will do for 60 day, heck thats our summer. I do it ever year so far

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I've seen some rafts in other places with numbers and decals on a board strapped to the frame. Will this suffice here, or do the numbers have to be printed on the raft fabric?

What do I use for the hull number? The serial number from AIRE? How about a bill of sale? Will a credit card receipt suffice?

These things aren't really motor boats, they're rafts, for crying out loud.

This seems like a silly rule to me, but I guess I'll do what I have to to avoid a ticket.

Thanks for the info everyone.
    Yeah, they used to let us get away with the boards, but some guys were moving them from one boat to another to avoid multiple registrations. My understanding is that they frown on this practice now. Sooo... we have to find a way to affix numbers and the decal to the boat itself (so they cannot be moved around). I agree it's crazy.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default AK Number

Have to be permantly affixed to the boat.
    You can use a rubberized paint
    In the Coast Guard we used to cut the letters out of innertube rubber then use rubber cemnt to hold them on
    I went to www.boatnumberplate.com then ordered the kit through West Marine, also bought the glue from them (hypalon uses different cement than pvc coated)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Yeah, they used to let us get away with the boards, but some guys were moving them from one boat to another to avoid multiple registrations. My understanding is that they frown on this practice now. Sooo... we have to find a way to affix numbers and the decal to the boat itself (so they cannot be moved around). I agree it's crazy.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Have to be permantly affixed to the boat.
    You can use a rubberized paint
    In the Coast Guard we used to cut the letters out of innertube rubber then use rubber cemnt to hold them on
    I went to www.boatnumberplate.com then ordered the kit through West Marine, also bought the glue from them (hypalon uses different cement than pvc coated)
    Yes, this is correct and is the best way to go for a boat you plan to run with power for the rest of it's life. But if you want to do drift trips later, you're stuck with the numbers. I prefer something temporary, especially for photographic purposes on the water. It's just aesthetic appeal, I know, but I just can't bring myself to glue numbers on my new Super Leopard. Yet.

-Mike

Default So what else?

I'm not too crazy about permanently adhering numbers to my boat either, when I only use a motor 5-10 times a season. There's got to be a better way.

Some kind of a plastic strip attached with double faced tape maybe? The tape might leave a residue, though...hmmm.

It would be nice if they let you put the numbers on the motor since its only because of the motor anyway.

Default That's a great idea.

I wonder why that wouldn't work. The only reason you have to register is because of the motor. I guess you could switch the motor from one small boat to another, but we're talking about a 6hp here, any boat I put it on is going to be exempt from registration without it!

Then again, these regulations are rarely based on logic.

It takes maybe five minuets to do it and once the numbers are on few will steal your boat as the permenate marker just don't come off. I used rubber contact cement to put on my sticker and its holding so far.

Default Placards plus...

I'm using the placards mounted with cable ties (on the sides), plus have the numbers on the seatbacks (see photo). The stick-on letters/numbers are peeling off, so I'll stencil them next.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 01-17-2010 at 21:58.

Default Registration

They should let us use the boards with the sticker and numbers on our rafts. All of the rafts have serial numbers on each boat or tube and the registration has this number on it too. All the officer has to do to see that the board is on the correct boat is to look at these numbers and verify. I don't see what the problem is for them. It would be nice for us to approach the Coast Guard and the State of Alaska as a unified group and try and get a solution to this.

Default Backing plates OK -- as long as "firmly attached"

Key language from the reference below:

"For inflatable boats, ...the number must be painted on or attached to backing plates that are firmly attached to each side of the forward half of the boat."

State of Alaska
    Division of Motor Vehicles
    Standard Operating Procedures
    SOP No.: B-100 Page No.: 1 Effective: January 1, 2001 Subject: Supersedes: New Dated:
    REGISTRATION NUMBER / VALIDATION STICKER DISPLAY
    Form No.: 02-841 Statute: AS 05.25.055 Regulation: 2 AAC 70.030 - 070

DISPLAY REQUIREMENTS – POWERED BOATS
    Boat Number:

1. Normally the number must be painted or permanently attached to each side of the forward half of the boat. “Permanently Attached” usually means some type of stick-on numbers or decals that make up the complete number. For inflatable boats, canvas boats, boats owned by dealer or manufacturer and used only for demonstration, and boats configured so that a number on the hull or superstructure would not be easily visible, the number must be painted on or attached to backing plates that are firmly attached to each side of the forward half of the boat.
    2. Each number must:

• be in plain vertical block characters 3 inches or more in height;
    • contrast with the color of the background and be distinctly visible and legible;
    • have spaces or hyphens that are equal to the width of a letter other than “I” or a number other than “1” between the letter and number groupings (Examples AK-1234-AA or AK 1234 AA);
    • read from left to right.

Validation Sticker: The sticker must be displayed within 6 inches of the boat number on both sides of the boat. If a backing plate is used to display the boat number, the sticker must also be on the backing plate.

Default Awesome, Thanks!

Thanks Leech, that's good news. I think I'll take that route. I suppose if we kept a copy of the registration with the boat serial number on it, in the dry box with the repair kit or similar, we could always show it to a questioning officer to put them at ease. Of course there will always be the officer who doesn't really know the rules and just wants to be a d**K, but a smile and helpful explanation will often smooth things over with even these types.

Thanks for the input guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast