Thread: Palmer Hay Flats

Default Palmer Hay Flats

I'm planning on trying the hay flats tomorrow for my first AK duck hunt. I really have no clue on where to even start so i'm just going to wing it. Is there somewhere I can park and walk in and still have some decent hunting? I currently live down KGB, so the closer the parking spot the better.

Thanks,
    Zach

Default cottonwood creek access

off of fairview loop. I'll be there as well, in the "wood" paneled jeep.

go to google earth and type in hay field road follow it you will find the sign for the access road. I was down there to day just looking from the parking area. Of in the distance I heard a couple shots and saw A couple birds fly off in the distance. When your driving down there is a good elevated spot to stop the truck and look over the marsh...I saw some fairly large ponds way out in the distance....Hope that helps I will be trying down there this week for the first time to. Send me a PM when you get back Im curious about which route to take. Left over the bridge or right following the slue

Thanks for the Info guys, i'll try to get down there to do some hunting but if not i'm going to at least check it out.
    Jeff, i'll be in a 04 dark gray silverado, hopefully down there before the sun comes up.

Are you guys without a boat? If not try rabbit slough you can row a canoe up or down. It is the access at trunk that goes down along the parks there is some large lakes down stream. Along the railroad tracks is a good spot walking out on the flats If you move around in the grass down there the birds flush but a dog is a must the grass is tall and the water is a plenty. In any case guys good luck

I was out on the Hay Flats today...man there wasn't much moving. Took one shot got no ducks...but man was it great. Beats the heck out of work any day of the week.

Default Hunting the Hayflats

Been going out just about every afternoon and hunting till sunset this past week. Doesnt seem to be many birds coming in yet from up north. Shot 1x Mallard & 1x Pintail on Tues, not many birds seen at all Wed. Shot 1x Mallard & 1x Pintail & 1x Gwt on Thurs seemed to be a few birds in the area that day. Friday was slow got 1x Mallard late in the day not many birds that day either and the yesterday shot 1x Mallard and seen a few others most come up out of range. Mind you been jump shooting as birds not flying much due to the warm weather. Hopefully the weather cools off a bit and maybe a little rain would help things inprove.

On Saturday we say about 15-20 teal flying, but that was about 20 mins before 7AM... We saw several Malards, but they were all out of range...way out of range. I'm gonna try to get back on Wed and Thurs and maybe try some jump shooting. I'm to old to stand still that long

Quit whining Dan, it wasn't that bad. I even found you a chair and everything. We should go hunt grouse this weekend, since the birds aren't down here yet.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Plenty of Spoonies available if you want em.

The hayflats were as slow as I had ever seen them. We need some bad weather out west to get more birds to show up. Hopefully the low water doesn't have them moving though quickly.