Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sutton and beyond area trails

Default Sutton and beyond area trails

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and it looks like the ATV riders have the most information regarding the Glen Hwy trails, so I am hoping for just a few people willing to share info. The trails i'm interested in are King River, Pinochle, Hicks, Caribou, etc for horseback riding. Are these trails at all horse friendly? I have googled my computer to death trying to find trail maps and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My horse is still down in the "lower 48", but I'm working on bringing her and possibly another up next spring. I always try to be a considerate rider (kick my horse's poo off the trails, move off the trail for other people/riders/atv etc). I hope posting this in the ATV section is not wrong..just let me know and I will move it to whatever location it needs to be in (any suggestions?). Thanks

Default trail info

Lots of info on the stickey post at the top of ATV section. Im no expert. Ive only ridden pinocle once. I would consider it horse freindly. I have no first had knowledge of the others. Those areas get lots of traffic so there are alot of people on here that use them. Some one on here should be able to help. As for horse poo on the trail. The moose dont remove theirs. I wouldnt worry about it. :0P Hillbilly

Default Horse S#@t

I'd rather step in horse poo than bear poo. I'm not much of a horse-man but I think all of these trails would be okay for a horse. Hope you have a good place to keep her this winter, it can get spendy up here. Good luck, Kort

I think Puritan and Permanente would be fine. They are both fairly wide trailed with room to get off the trail. The biggest challenge I can see is getting off the trail in time in case an ATV rider is going full throttle and doesn't see you in time (most ride carefully but not all) or the noise might cause your horse to shy. Other trails too might be fine, but those two came immediately to mind. Oh, the Buffalo Mine area might be good, as well.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

All those trails are horse friendly. Before the ATV industry boomed, horses were probably the most common way of using those trails. There are a few places with loose rock where you'll do a little walking but not much.

What kind of info are you looking for? We have one member in our group, the Mat-Su Trails Council, that has logged more miles and days on horseback in that country than anyone alive.

One trail you didn't list is the Chickaloon River trail. It's not passable with ATVs so access is limited to horses and hikers.

As a former horse owner/rider myself, I would probably take Kings river off the to do list as it has become very rocky. If it is wet it gets quite slick as well. I never liked putting my horses on trails like that and I rode a lot in Colorado back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    As a former horse owner/rider myself, I would probably take Kings river off the to do list as it has become very rocky. If it is wet it gets quite slick as well. I never liked putting my horses on trails like that and I rode a lot in Colorado back then.
    Good point. There are a couple trails there that are still ok. The Red Mountain Trail cuts off the main trail before it gets into the rocks and the "lower" trail that crosses Kings River to Permenante is a nice easy ride.

Isn't there alot of horse/hiking type trails around the Lazy mountain area?

Quote Originally Posted by michael wascom View Post
    Isn't there alot of horse/hiking type trails around the Lazy mountain area?
    I have friends that live up there and they have told me that, yes. I've never been there myself though.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Another good resource is ATVfrontier.com just go to the Alaska section and there is an extensive trails list with good detail.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Another good resource is ATVfrontier.com just go to the Alaska section and there is an extensive trails list with good detail.
    Thanks Mud!

Trails Link

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Not to mention traffic. Plus someone might try and steal your horse lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Lots of trails

Akcowgirl please feel free to P M me. The original trails into those areas were horse only, The Permenante was cut on top of a horse trail to access a lime deposit that was never mined. There are horses friendly trails that access the same country as the ATV trails. There are rugged horse only trails all around Anchorage, ER, and Palmer. I personally have ridden and packed in most. Some of the trails are well known, others are pristine. I have to say, I enjoy my ATV and horses both. In over 30 years of back country riding, I have had only one unpleasant experience with an ATV and that was a two wheeled motor cycle. Many times I have met an ATV while horseback and have been offered food, drink shelter etc.

Thumbs up

The very best Horse Trails you can easily access and provide exceptional moose and sheep hunting, is from Sheep Mountain on the Glenn Hwy that lead into Majestic Valley. There are several established camps along the way. A couple of cabins to stay in as well. Too few know about them, so sometimes you have to go over or around some deadfallen trees, other than that, no obstacles. If you hunt moose in there, you need a pack animal, or clear out a strip and arrange for a pick up of the meat on one of the gravel bars.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Talking Thanks!

Thank you so much everyone for the info! It sounds like I will have plenty of trails to choose from once I get my mare up to Chickaloon! I have hiked with my brother about 6 miles in on the Permanente Trail and cant wait to get further back there on my horse. Any additional info on what trail is like further back would be awesome. Also info on how to find the trailheads everyone mentioned would be super helpful or info on how to find actual maps. ( I haven't had a chance to search the ATVfrontier link yet so maybe I will find that info there). I imagine I will end up doing a lot of exploring anyways I am still trying to figure out how this forum works as far as posting replies and replying to individual messages, so I will try to reply to the individual messages now........we will see if I do it right lol. Thanks, Courtney

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    The very best Horse Trails you can easily access and provide exceptional moose and sheep hunting, is from Sheep Mountain on the Glenn Hwy that lead into Majestic Valley. There are several established camps along the way. A couple of cabins to stay in as well. Too few know about them, so sometimes you have to go over or around some deadfallen trees, other than that, no obstacles. If you hunt moose in there, you need a pack animal, or clear out a strip and arrange for a pick up of the meat on one of the gravel bars.
    Thanks, is there a mile marker for a certain trail to get back there? (I don't know that area, I have always ridden in the Anchorage area so I only know those trails). As far as the cabins, are they first come first served, or is there a way to reserve if you know you are heading that way? My mare is not broke to pack meat....but since my brother, dad, and mom all hunt who knows what will end up happening once I get her (and poss. a few others) out there right!? Majestic Valley....hmmmm that just sounds like perfect horseback riding country, I am so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Thank you, I will check it out for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    Good point. There are a couple trails there that are still ok. The Red Mountain Trail cuts off the main trail before it gets into the rocks and the "lower" trail that crosses Kings River to Permenante is a nice easy ride.
    How do I find the Red Mountain Trail? I realize Kings River is a busy trail but I am curious about it since I will be living so close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    All those trails are horse friendly. Before the ATV industry boomed, horses were probably the most common way of using those trails. There are a few places with loose rock where you'll do a little walking but not much.

What kind of info are you looking for? We have one member in our group, the Mat-Su Trails Council, that has logged more miles and days on horseback in that country than anyone alive.

One trail you didn't list is the Chickaloon River trail. It's not passable with ATVs so access is limited to horses and hikers.
    Snowbear, The info I am looking for is mainly how to actually find all these trails....mile markers and/or trail maps. How do I find the Chickaloon River trail? I would love to find some non-motorized trails. Is there a way to get in touch with your friend on the Mat-Su Trails Council? It would be great to get in touch w/people who do horseback ride out there since I don't have any trail riding partners. Thanks!

Default hmmmm

Im sure there are Alaska specific books out there for riding horses up here. I think any ATV trails should be used with caution on a horse wether it be King River trail or any other one that has limited time for you to get either off or to the side before some atv comes flying around the corner. You have just as much right to be there as do 4 wheelers and hikers but your on top of a animal that reacts differently to noises. Horses are quiet and can sneek up on a moose or encounter a bear and will definately give a thrill ride when spooked also.

I had a horse up here when i was younger and though she was a great mountain horse i would always wonder how i would ever catch her if she took off and left me behind on my butt.

We were brush bustin up by Trapper creek on the wheelers and when we came out on a trail there were two horses and riders that were about freeked out from the sound and motion of the grass and trees moveing on the side of the trail. The horses were deffinately skitish?

I personally would look for access into areas without heavy atv traffic as much as possible just for peace of mind. Weekdays on the horse and not holidays either, its bad enough on foot hopeing some speed demon doesnt make us spill our berry buckets with his/her handle bar mirrors. Ive seen close calls on king river even though its posted 15mph.

I rarelly see horses out there so they must have better places than on the atv trails.

Majestic Valley is pristine and not ATV accessible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast