Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this before?

Question Anyone seen this before?

I took this Goldeneye yesterday and noticed that there was some "jewlery" attached to the webbing of a foot. Looks to be a clasp of some sort and has only the number 214 on it. I'm going to give ADF&G a call tomorrow to see if they have any information regarding. Thought maybe someone else has run across something similar. Never seen anything like it personally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Russians

Yes, that is a Russian Waterfowl Research Consortium research tag. They do the same type of waterfowl research we do here in the states over there in Siberia. If you remove the tag, the underside will have a separate serial number. The Cyrillic characters instantly give it away as Russian.

Don't call them, by the way. They will demand you send the bird back. It's actually written into their laws, so there's no arguing with them on the point...

(The above is completely bogus and should not be taken as the truth at all . Sorry!)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Cool

I shot a brant with the same thing a few years ago, and I talked to the feds about it and never got an answer. Let me know if you get any info.

You can see it on the web on the right

Never actually seen one but I have seen them on a website about all the different bands that different agencies use on birds. Not sure who uses that particular one but if you google band information you can find out more. Good stuff

this may help. i found this by searching yahoo and typed in (different type of water fowl bands) here is the web cite http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/aboutaux.htm
    Web Tags and Plasticine Bands

Web tags are small markers of metal with a code (usually one or more letters) identifying the bander on one side and a number indicating the individual bird. The tags were developed to mark fingerling fish and have been adopted by bird banders for use on waterfowl chicks. Web tags may identify the local area or nest site of the bird, or be part of a study on chick growth and survival. The use of web tags allows individual marking of birds that were too small to band. Because web tags are used on chicks, they are the only auxiliary marker that is allowed to be used without banding the bird with a federally numbered band without special permissions. If the bird is later trapped and is large enough for banding, the band is added to the bird at that time. Web tags can allow banders to be more precise in their age determinations that might be possible using the birds physical appearance alone, as the tag will indicate the exact year hatched.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Post Thanks for the laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Yes, that is a Russian Waterfowl Research Consortium research tag. They do the same type of waterfowl research we do here in the states over there in Siberia. If you remove the tag, the underside will have a separate serial number. The Cyrillic characters instantly give it away as Russian.

Don't call them, by the way. They will demand you send the bird back. It's actually written into their laws, so there's no arguing with them on the point...

(The above is completely bogus and should not be taken as the truth at all . Sorry!)

-Gr
    I actually considered it for a moment.......

They are web tags. they are typically put on ducklings or goslings that are still at the nest. I have personally put them on Dusky Canadas and Black Brant. Obviously they are put on other species as well. I have shot a few brant with some web tags as well.

Typically they don't last to long on birds but sometimes they do last a while. I would try to report them if you get one.

Lightbulb What I found out

Thanks for the info guys and Fusion you nailed it. It's a web tag and I reported it to the FBX Migratory Bird office per the direction of ADF&G. I was told that it was placed by a researcher and they were really appreciative that I had made the effort to find the proper place to report it. They took the number of the tag and my info and are supposed to call me tomorrow with more details about the bird.

Fishermann222, here's the number to the FBX Migratory Bird office: 456-0427. I also called the bird band hotline and was given a specific number to report web tags, it's: 301-497-5969. Between the two, you should be able to find out something about your Brant web tag.

Red face Oops

Dolt! It looks like my theory on the Russians was wrong... again. Sorry!

Glad it got a chuckle, though. Happy waterfowling, ladies and gents.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Yup, you guys got it. We put those tags on ducklings and goslings to track them from the nest. The birds are too small to take a full size band at that point. Often times we can use the tag number to track it back to the very egg the bird was hatched out of. It is also a way to track the birds age. We know which years those tags were put on so we can age the bird exactly when it is collected. These types of data are very important and any attempt to get it back to the researcher is definitely appreciated. Be sure to read the number from both sides of the tag. I've never seen one with letters on them (not that they don't occur). In my experience one side has the year, either 2 or 4 digit, the other has a unique identifier. Typically we try and install them so that the year is down. The bottom tends to wear off quicker and we can sometimes trace the unique identifier back without the year.

I worked on brant for several years and we used those tags a ton in our analysis. If anyone has brant webtags (or even plastics bands) feel free to send me a message. I will get you the info on the bird and pass it along to the lab where it will be used. The green band in the above photo was most likely put on a bird from the North Slope.

Ohhh, and they can last quite a long time. I have banded birds that are 5-10 years old with webtags on. If you can't get help locally try calling the National Bird Banding Lab 1-800-327-BAND or just google it for more info. They handle all banding operations in the US and are where you typically need to go to report bands. I'm more than willing to help as well.

Post Web Tag Update

This Common Goldeneye was banded (as a duckling of course) on June 15, 2009 between MP 44 & 45 on Chena Hot Springs Road. The mother/hen of the duckling was a new capture this 2009 season so they don't know her origin or breeding history on the study site.

I was told also that there has been a Common Goldeneye nesting project off Chena Hot Springs Road for several years. Many nest boxes have been built and put up in this area specifically to provide nesting sites for the Common Goldeneye.

Great information and thanks to all those (like patrickL) who are involved with this type of valuable work and research.

That's exactly the kind of info we get from those webtags. Unfortunatley with ducks, they don't live as long as geese. We've had reports of webtags and bands for bant that we could trace back quite aways. Pretty cool to know the life of your bird.

There's been a goldeneye project going down south here too. Nothing serious as far as I know but they have put up nest boxes down along turnagain arm and have been checking them off and on for years.

Sounds like that duck's life expectancy was about 6'mos or less. So how far away from MP 44/45 did yas shoot it?

I also shot a goldeneye today that had a web band. I'm going to contact the bird hotline and see what I can find out.

Just an example of what we get from all this banding and webtagging info.

If I am reading that green plastic band correctly, it is KNE Green. That bird was banded in 1991 on the North Slope as an Adult Male. From what I can tell it was shot in September 2006 so would be 17+ years old when shot. That's 15 years since banding plus we knew it was at least 2 years old when banded. Pretty old bird.

It also was seen breeding from 1995-1998 and again in 2002 with the same female (her band was 52T Yellow). I can get more info on breeding success if folks are interested. It will just take me a bit to look it up. If anyone else has brant bands or webtags shoot me a message and I can look up the info for you.

One interesting thing here. If we don't have hunters reporting bands we don't know what happened to this bird after 2002. We have no records from our field work after its last sighting on the breeding grounds in 2002. Therefore, when we estimate survival we can't really pin down when it was last alive. With the band reporting we now know that the bird was still alive in 2006 even though we hadn't resighted its band since 2002. Pretty valuable information.

Let me know if you want more info.

Default Patrick L

YOu beat me to it. You are exactly correct. Only thing you forgot to mention was where it was harvested. I was very surprised to see how old that bird was.

We don't have the harvest location data as we don't use it for much. Harvest is so low that harvest data is pretty limited for brant. My guess is given you harvested it in September, you were lucky enough to be hunting in Cold Bay. Lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post

It also was seen breeding from 1995-1998 and again in 2002 with the same female (her band was 52T Yellow).
    Hmmm she wasn't traveling with him in '06

Default nope

He was harvested on Nunivak Island.

Nunivak, wow, that's an unusual place to be hunting waterfowl. Great spot but not the most common.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast