Thread: XS engine dying

Question XS engine dying

Hello fellow boaters,

Just looking for a little help and to see if someone else has had or is having this problem with their 200hp Optimax on the XS or simliar boats.

Here is what's going on, every now and again while under power it will just turn off/loose all power on its own. It acts just as if I shut the key off, no power to any gages, no alarms or codes have come up. I've been told that it could be the main power relay but it starts right back up w/out any problems. Could the emergency kill switch be going bad or is it possible that the main power relay is going out but not fried just yet?

I'm trying to get this fixed before the week long hunt on the river. I'd hate for the boat to come off step in the shallow waters with a load, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for all your help.

One more thing. It has only happend about 5-6 times and the boat has less than 80hrs on it.
    Last edited by GAredneck; 09-13-2009 at 17:08. Reason: More info.

Of all the questions asked this summer with people having problems with that engine the problem has always been the main power relay.

Default Location

Is the main power relay the small junction that the positive bat. cable comes off of on the left side of the engine? I was told that if it is the main power relay that they would need the ser# off of it to make sure I get the right one.

It almost sounds like a ignition (key switch) issue.... That switch is what sends all the power to your guages etc.. But the main power relay could also be the issue, never dealt with one of these motors before.