Thread: On R&R from the Stan looking for birds

Default On R&R from the Stan looking for birds

Hey guys Im on R&R from Afghanistan for about 10 more days. I hunted birchwood only last season with some success looking to nail some birds around the Anchorage area. My dad is flying up and we both wanna try to find the birds. I dont have a boat but I do have pretty strong legs, some deeks, a call and warm coffee.....any ideas. On monday Im going down to the AF&W to see if they have maps. Thanks for your help

Default I'll go with ya

I hunt the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, but you need to have a basic hunter ed. to hunt there. If you have ever taken a Hunter Ed course, you just need to get the certification number, and you can get the permit online.

Other than that, I hunt the Palmer Hay Flats from time to time. You're welcome to come with me. I'll warn you though, I don't do that well, hehe. Other than opening day, I never get more than one or two. So you may want to look for more reliable sources. I don't have a boat either, so I'm always trudging through the swamp - it's fun!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Went to my usual walk in spot at birchwood, nailed 5, mostly Gaddys. Lots of big groups with 10+ birds. Left cause I ran out of shells...guess not shooting for a year hindered me. Shot 2 birds then tried to put the decoys out but couldnt leave the blind because of all the birds circling. Good times Good Times

Wow! That's excellent. It's really slow on the Anchorage flats. Last time I went out, I only saw one duck, forget getting five to fall. I've never hunted out at Birchwood - perhaps that's a mistake.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.