Thread: porky recipes

Default porky recipes

O.K. the wife always wanted to try a porky. Have not taken one yet but considering it if we get different ideas on cookin him up.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    O.K. the wife always wanted to try a porky. Have not taken one yet but considering it if we get different ideas on cookin him up.
    Who's going to cook it?

Default who

She will of course!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Put it on the barbie, hope to be going thru the area about 10/13

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Put it on the barbie, hope to be going thru the area about 10/13
    As in, "Start cooking it now" ??
    Sorry no recipes.

Default never had one, but...

for starters, I'd like to try one slow roasted over a charcoal bbq

OR

throw it in the crock pot (slow cooker) with a light brown sugar/ cider vineger rub on the lowest setting. Keep an eye on it and add a little water now and then to keep it moist. 12oz +/- of beer works good too. But it has to actually go in the crockpot....

That's how we used to cook beaver/raccoon/muskrat & groundhogs when I was young. It's done when the meat falls off the bone. We'd add bbq sauce (cookies bbq, can't get it up here, but lee&perrins or sweet babyrays is close) and turn it into bbq sandwiches. I'd have to give it a try without the sauce first, just to see....

Now, I'm gettin hungry..... can't shoot the big guns this year, so maybe I'll go sneakin and lookin for a sticky pig......

cut as much of the fat off first and then par boil it in salt water. Next roast it in a roasting pan that has a wire grate suspending it off of the bottom so that the grease can drain off.

Serve with potatoes and onions so that you have something to eat when you throw the meat away.

I joking about throwing the meat away. It is very greasy though and should be treated much like an old stew hen. Porkies are not bad and if you get the chance; try beaver too. We used to eat beaver for Thanksgiving dinner when I was a kid.

Thumbs up cooking porcupine or beaver recipe

I've done this with porcupine, beaver and even rabbit and it is very tasty. Of course it always depends on how you deal with your meat while out in the field.

Chunk up the meat. You can leave the bones in but it will require more cooking time. For rabbit just cut it up as you would for fried chicken.

In a large skillet (I like cast iron) add water to just barely cover the meat adding 1/8 cup soy sauce and some spices. I like chopped garlic, dry or fresh onions, black pepper and either sage or summer savory.

Bring to a rapid boil then cover and continue to boil gently for at least 1 1/2 hour (maybe two if you have left the bone in or until very tender).

Drain any remaining water. I usually just boil toward the end of the cooking time with lid cracked open until the water boils off.

Add a little oil (depending on how fat your meat is) and cook on high, flipping meat occasionally (every 3-5 minutes), until just slightly crispy and very brown. Goes good with just about any side dish.

Then chow down.

Grandma Lori
    PS this thread should probably be in the pantry section.
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley