Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my first Griz!!!

Talking I got my first Griz!!!

It all started about 4 years ago when I found a high valley and a huge bull moose that eluded me. I returned the next year with a friend and lo and behold the same thing happened in that valley and the adjacent one. We shot two bull caribou up there and saw another big one and so I named it "The Valley of the Bulls". On one trip I saw a nice griz but didn't really care about shooting it. I took some pics at less than 200 yds. Well, since then a friend said to me "they eat lots of moose". So, I figured it was time to shoot one if I had the chance.

This year I took a friend moose hunting who has never shot a moose. I really wanted him to get on to one. He's an old elk bow hunter from Oregon who has lived here for about 15 years. Well, we headed up to the Valley of the Bulls only to find bears, bears, bears!!! The second day we spotted this guy and went after him. He was in/above one of our moose hunting valleys. He was in the berry patch in the sun and we tried getting to him. By the time we got there we could not find him, so we hung out for a while and figured he must have headed down in the thick stuff. We then returned to our spotting point only to then see him again walking around where we had been hanging out and hour before!! I took these pics through my spotter at 52x and cropped them to blow them up. Check him out. The one where he is sitting showing off his fat belly.... he was sitting where we had been sitting!!! I then watched him walk over the ridge. Bummer, oh well, back to moose hunting.

Now I'm no expert in judging bears but this guy was a big bear, he just waddled when he walked, his belly looked like it dragged on the ground, from the back end he looked like he didn't have any legs and was just huge. He almost looked out of proportion..... huge body from the shoulders back and his head seemed small compared to it.

The next evening we were watching the valley and decided to move around the top of the rocky ridge we were on to look at the other one. We were above our tent a couple hundred yards when I spotted movement above treeline by a shrub. IT'S THE BEAR!! I said, but, then he started moving and I could tell right away it was a different bear! We were maybe 5 or 600 yards out. There was a small rise in front of the bear and I knew I could get down to the saddle and skootch over and come right up on him. I took off and as I was headed down the ridge the bear started coming our way! He came into view and I ranged him at 275yds. I wanted to be under 200 for a shot. I had some cover in the rocks and quickly slipped up onto a little out cropping right above the tent and there he was, 165 yards in the wide open! He was walking towards me head on, then turned a little giving me close to a broad side shot through the ribs and hopefully out the far shoulder. He spun around and I hit him again and he hit the ground but was still sitting up trying to go, I shot him again in the vitals area and down he went, he was laying with back towards me trying to get up so I shot him again, this time in the spine. That put him out of his misery. I couldn't believe it, I JUST KILLED A GRIZ!! We later determined he was dead after the second shot but I remember someone saying "taxidermists can fix holes" so I shot him until he was dead, dead, dead. I was able to shoot this guy with my first handloads for the 325 wizbang. 220gr Sierra Gamekings at 2750+ fps. All were complete pass throughs. How cool. Here he is.

We then decided that since we had seen griz in both valleys and no bulls we would move. We went several miles away to a different spot, seeing griz sign both low and high. After we moved, the following morning I was perched in a nice spot watching a valley and saddle when all of the sudden ANOTHER griz comes around the mountain! I ranged him at 300yds he was on the move angling towards me, then he headed down in my valley and I lost him in the tress at 245 yds!. I beat feet back over to my buddy. We didn't see the bear come out of the valley, nor did we see any bulls so we moved again to a different spot. Which, when we got to looking around saw more griz sign and no bulls. Well, now the Valley of the Bulls has a new name, Valley of the Bears! Oh, and we did not see one bull.
    Last edited by Snyd; 09-15-2009 at 11:08.

Beautiful bear, Snyd.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-13-2009 at 11:00. Reason: sp.

Thumbs up

Congrats on the Bear. You have now graduated to the level of your southern cousins. Bears have been a problem like this for several years in southcentral. They will continue to plaque you and the moose until they are dealt with. Want more moose? Provide some Bear Hunters of the location and they will help you out. Or...get used to hunting bears.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Congrats Snyd! Very nice bear indeed!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Wink great

Great post and nice grizz. I would be happy to provide my services to you, free of charge of course. Just shoot me the coordinates to your valley and I will go ahead and "remove" a grizz for you.

congrats on an awesome bear snyd! dont worry, a good taxidermist can fix anything, so they say, and ive seen some amazing miracles performed

Very nice bear!

Love the highlights on that grizzly! Do you have any pics of the hide with the bones shaken out? It would be nice to see those colors. Well done, Snyd.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Very beautiful bear and great write-up. Thanks for sharing your success with us! I've got a black bear hunt planned for the weekend of the 25th, but if the snow doesn't hit too soon up north I hope to go chase grizzlies on the first weekend of October. If that doesn't work out, well....are you looking for a hunting parnter next fall?

Congrats Perry on a great bear! Those are awesome pics, and yes the first one looks like a hog.

I'm guessing your swine flu cleared up before the hunt?

Congratulations Perry. We were looking for a bear while moose hunting last couple days, but nada. Hungry for meat and a fat grizzly would be some fine eating, not to mention all the winter gear I could make with the hide. And I actually remembered to buy a grizzly tag this spring. Beautiful hide on that bear of yours!

What a beauty. Good job. Where was your .454 lever?

Default Awesome man

I think as hunters, we all deserve a trophy hunt now and then. Plus not to mention helping the moose and caribou populations. I personally like shooting bears! I eat most of them. So just wondering if you guys tried the meat on the mountain grizzly? Plus how did the sport hill treat ya up there?

Congrats man!

Thumbs up

Congrats indeed but as mentioned where is the 454L/A or that 45colt.Yep maybe next and hope you have lots of chances. Of course four shoots with the 325 Wizzbang might make the 45colt seem small,it ain't.

Congrats! Beautiful bear and a great story. Very well described. If you need help thinning the herd, you'll find it on this forum. Oh, please include me to the ones that would help out

Great job Snyd. I hope you can get rid of more bear and see some moose in your valley soon. I know both times I have been moose/caribou hunting in your great state, I could have shot grizzly bears. Non resident rules won't allow when hunting without guide though. In fact the first time out on our ten day hunt we were able to recognize 12 different bears; some were sows with cubs, but still twelve in about a two mile radius???

Thanks for sharing your story and many more bear for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    We later determined he was dead after the second shot but I remember someone saying "taxidermists can fix holes" so I shot him until he was dead, dead, dead. I was able to shoot this guy with my first handloads for the 325 wizbang.
    Nice colored bear, nice size for on the couch or on the wall.
    If you had to shoot him that many times it doesn't sound like the 325 is such a wizbang.
    How many holes will the taxi have to fix?
    Hey............don't throw any of that meat in the dumpster!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Very nice bear. Good coloration, should make a gorgeous rug or mount.

Good job writing it up too!

Default Nice lookin bear

Congrats and good job thinning out those calf eaters.

Lots have made comments as to eating interior/berry eating grizzlies. So what's the word? Burger? Sausage? Steaks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast