Thread: Rifle Comparison

Default Rifle Comparison

I have looked at other threads and gained a wealth of info on different rifle brands/loads etc. I am pretty set on purchasing a Tikka T3 chambered in either .300 WinMag or an .06. Most of my hunting is usually for deer on Admiralty Island or short hunts for Moose in the Mat-Valley which is where I currently live. I have shot all my deer with .243s, 30-30's and 308, but I would like something a little bigger. I am not interested in "bigger is better" calibers and I would rather not get beat up with the kick. Heres my question: Which rifle has more kick .300 or 30.06 with 180 or 200 grain bullets and how does that compare with the .338. And the second part of that question would be this. Which caliber/bullet grain combination would do the least amount of damage on deer? (Compare between .30-06, .300WinMag, or .338?) I hope those questions made sense! Thanks for your input. For the record, I want a Tikka because I can't afford a Sako and since my family is from Finland (grandfather immigrated) I'm keeping with tradition!!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

I wouldn't get too hard of a hitter in a Tikka T3. 30-06 is a great classic caliber, that would be my choice of the three. I have a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag and it kicks at least as hard as my 338 win mag ruger mkII. Keep in mind those are lightweight rifles.

Default recoil pads?

How about recoil pads? I have always shot with stock pads and so they tend to be about average. Any recommendations?
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Limbsaver first choice, pachmeyer (Spelling ?) decelerator second.

Thumbs up

One Fin to another...

The Tikka T3 is a well thought out design, very well made, an excellent performer, and an outstanding value.

I'm guessing you are asking about a stainless/synthetic T3-Lite in .30-06 Springfield or .300 WIN MAG?

For what it appears you'll be wanting the new rifle for at present... the .30-06 would be my take. Perfect for deer w/ somewhat reasonable safety back-up for bigger critters on those ventures in Southeast Alaska. Recoil will be OK for most shoulders in 150 through 220gr loadings. On occasional Moose it'll also do the job... tho' the .300 WIN Mag and .338 WIN MAG will be better suited for the heavier game tasks.

The .300 WIN MAG will have more punch for certain at both ends! Still a fine choice... likely a better all-arounder for the hunts you described and will hold the edge when using heavier bullets. Some might say, you could shoot 'managed-recoil' loads on up to the highest-energy premium ammunition. Sounds good... however... really you'll end up with one load you've sighted in for, plus what shoots the best for what you are doing, and probably stick with that load.

In .338 WIN MAG --- one of the finest all-around North American big game cartridges ever introduced is a great choice because it will do-it-all. In the T3-LITE you'll be talking loads uponloads of felt recoil that most would relate is too much (even for this this caliber) in this lightweight set-up.

On Blacktails, I've seen the difference in performance from all three... I like the the .30-06! Game went down going nowhere just as fast (even better than the other choices mentioned here in most cases) Damage was never too devastating in terms of meat loss issues. I can't say the same for the .300 & .338 WIN MAGS. I've had better results w/ the .375 H&H in this application as well as an all-rounder.

I'd go the Tikka T3-LITE stainless/synthetic in .30-06.

Go with the 30-06, that's a great caliber and you won't want a bigger caliber with that rifle, it's LIGHT. Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, and you're good to go.

A friend of mine just picked up one of these in .300 WSM. Its very accurate and it certainly barks pretty good. I don't find it intolerable but it will get your attention.

Unless you have some experience dealing with recoil I'd go with a .30-06.

I'm shooting a T3 stainless in .30-06 with a limbsaver recoil pad and I like it so far!

Keep in mind the following about Tikkas

1. Extra mags are hard to get and expensive. Buy one with your rifle so as not to be in a situation where you are magless the day before the hunt.

2. They handle gas poorly. Be vigilant in your handloads and always wear eye protection.

3. Their customer service is Beretta. The worst. makes kimber look good.

There do tend to kick. We install tons of Decel pads on them. We prefer the decel pads to the limbsavers because the grind better and look nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We prefer the decel pads to the limbsavers because the grind better and look nicer.
    I've yet to hear about a good customer service experience w/ Beretta. You'd think that since they've been in the biz for so long, theyd have it dialed in by now....

I prefer the limbsaver...especially when its free

Default Pads

Keep in mind the following about Tikkas

1. Extra mags are hard to get and expensive. Buy one with your rifle so as not to be in a situation where you are magless the day before the hunt.

2. They handle gas poorly. Be vigilant in your handloads and always wear eye protection.

There do tend to kick. We install tons of Decel pads on them. We prefer the decel pads to the limbsavers because the grind better and look nicer.
    Decelerators do grind better !! The Limbsaver requires NO fitting; They are a fit right out of the package, just remove the screws and replace.

I use an 06' T3-SS and like it very much, the recoil is tolerable with heavy bullets after I replaced the factory recoil pad with a Limbsaver. This recoil pad replacement also seemed to help the group size.The only negative I have with this rifle the bolt shroud is plastic and mine broke. I haven't tried to replace it yet however as it is cosmetic and it's hunting season.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

They are a fit right out of the package, just remove the screws and replace.
    if ya like that kind of "fit"

Default OK

if ya like that kind of "fit"
    Mine fits like it was ground for the rifle and didn't cost $50.oo to have installed. Some may not fit as well as mine; I only have mine as a ONE-TIME example.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks for all the input in helping me decide on my rifle. I've noticed that most folks that have T3's have the T3 Lites. How about the Laminated wood stalks? The lites weigh 6 3/16 lbs and the Laminated Wood weighs 6 13/16 lbs. Would this make much of a difference? If the T3 lites are having issues with bold shrouds cracking, then I might go with the Laminated stock for the extra strength.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    If the T3 lites are having issues with bold shrouds cracking, then I might go with the Laminated stock for the extra strength.
    I dont know if its necessarily an 'issue', this was the first I'd heard of someone having a problem with it. Also, I thought the whole T3 line had the plastic shroud, regardless of stock options...

I also have Tikka Whitetail Model 695 in 30.06 but is an older design and is a bit heavier then the T3. It shoots right at MOA with most all factory loads. The recoil is very manageable.

Default Tikka

I see there is one for sale in the forum gun sales category. Blue/synthetic and a pretty good scope.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=63482

It is in 30-06 which I agree with is a very versatile caliber.

FYI