Thread: Tips/Pointers/What am I doing wrong.

Default Tips/Pointers/What am I doing wrong.

All right gents. Help a fellow out.
    I've been fishing the parks highway streams hard. Every chance I get Im gone, up the highway and doing my thing.
    So far I've fished Byers, Troublesome, Rabideux, Montana, Sheep, and Willow.

Im not hitting SH##. Having never fished beads before I have done some reading and feel like im doing it right. I've also thrown just about everything else i can think of out there. Im just not running into fish.

Where are the trout? I've tried everything. Fishing the fast water, fishing the pools, Fishing the deep spots, shallow spots. Fishing upstream, fishing downstream. I cover as much water as I can before dark on foot.
    To be brutally honest Im not even seeing all that many fish.

Is it too early? Too late?
    I enjoy fishing just for fishing sake as much as the next guy... but I can't help but feel like all this diesel fuel needs to start paying off in fish pictures or Im gonna call it a year.

So.. hit me up with some pointers. Some Fresh ideas.
    I don't want to steal anyones hole. But Id certainly like to see some fish.

BTW: If anyone in the Anchorage/ER area wants to fish. Wed, Sat, Sun are a pretty regular thing. I get off at two and jam up there. All I ask is you pitch for half a tank of diesel (35$-40$), and you bring some sweet fishing stories to share on the ride up. I got a crew cab and usually have a buddy.. so yeah.

don't feel bad, most of the word I have been hearing from the rivers up north is a little slower than normal. I fished a couple of times this year and didn't do as good as I normally do. And just like you said, I didn't see much in the way of fish. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, I just hope it is an off year.

The best I can do for you is to tell you to drive two hours south and hit the Kenai. It's best fished from a boat though.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    The best I can do for you is to tell you to drive two hours south and hit the Kenai. It's best fished from a boat though.
    ...At the "B" word my wallet shrivels up like testes in glacier water.

Spin or fly?

Good bead fishermen carry lots of variations of beads. Different colors and sizes of beads can make the difference between a good day and a skunk day. Sometimes the difference is so subtle it's hard to imagine it could make a difference. But it does. (I am not an accomplished bead fisherman. I'm reporting my impressions after having fished with a couple of guys who are.)

Default Variations...conditions...

Agree with Mr. Pid - that mixing things up sometimes matters. With beads, some have great faith is replicating the size/color of eggs in the water - which makes sense, but sometimes I see a 10mm bead work when 8mm eggs are in the water...same with color - red or orange or speckled beads when the eggs are peach/apricot swirl. Fish like something different sometimes. Not sure how else to account for the blue beads seen for sale.

High water can complicate fishing - how are water levels?

Good luck.

Default Mouth

Check the mouths of the fish you do catch also, they keep a many secrets in there! I have changed a bead pattern that looked identical to what I saw in the water to what was in their mouth and made a HUGE difference, both in the valley and on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Agree with Mr. Pid - that mixing things up sometimes matters. With beads, some have great faith is replicating the size/color of eggs in the water - which makes sense, but sometimes I see a 10mm bead work when 8mm eggs are in the water...same with color - red or orange or speckled beads when the eggs are peach/apricot swirl. Fish like something different sometimes. Not sure how else to account for the blue beads seen for sale.

High water can complicate fishing - how are water levels?

Good luck.
    They look normal to me.. But this is the first year I've fished them

Actually, the levels are fairly low. The pinks are gone, the chums are going and the silvers are ripening to spawn. Right now, find the spawning chums. I've been using a 10mm dull, glow bead "chum bead" and you should have success. You have to do a lot of walking and fishing various water (runs, pockets, holes, etc...). The 'bows are spread out, you'll find one here, a couple there and occasionally find several in one spot. Have patience, enjoy the scenery and over time you'll get dialed in. Tight Lines!

My post disappeared? Operator error I assume. I have not had much luck with beads on the Parks streams lately. I have done very well with Olive micro jigs, Olive Wooley Buggers, with and without beads/cones, and better yet with fairly large drys such as Caddis imitations in size 10 or so. All my trout have come on jigs (80th to 60th ounce) and Woolies. I've caught lots of big Grayling on Dries.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    To be brutally honest Im not even seeing all that many fish.
    ICB12,
    I'll ask the obvious, since I didn't read it anywhere....are you wearing a pair of amber/yellow polarized glasses? If not, I would recommend before you changed anything else, you went our and bought a pair. You can normally find a pair for 15-20 dollars around town.

Also, where in the water column are you fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Omykiss View Post
    Actually, the levels are fairly low.
    This is good to know. Having no idea of what the normal levels were this time of year.. its kind of a best guess.. and how does it look kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    My post disappeared? Operator error I assume. I have not had much luck with beads on the Parks streams lately. I have done very well with Olive micro jigs, Olive Wooley Buggers, with and without beads/cones, and better yet with fairly large drys such as Caddis imitations in size 10 or so. All my trout have come on jigs (80th to 60th ounce) and Woolies. I've caught lots of big Grayling on Dries.
    I usually rely on the olive WB to catch me some fish. But its to no avail recently. Thanks for the good info!

Quote Originally Posted by flying ties View Post
    ICB12,
    I'll ask the obvious, since I didn't read it anywhere....are you wearing a pair of amber/yellow polarized glasses? If not, I would recommend before you changed anything else, you went our and bought a pair. You can normally find a pair for 15-20 dollars around town.

Also, where in the water column are you fishing?
    I Wear a cheapo pair until dark when I have to stumble and crash my way through brush and over the rocky streambed back to the highway and cook my ramen with the jetboil on the tailgate.

Id have to say that I've mostly been concentrating on the bottom of the water column. Say 75 percent bottom, 15 percent surface, 10 percent mid level.