Thread: Moose wallow question

Default Moose wallow question

I know that moose tend to rut around the same areas from year to year, but i've always kind of wondered if they utilize the same wallows from year to year. I have found some old wallows in the pre-rut this year, all pounded out and old hair all up in them, but didn't get a chance to wander back in that way and see if a bull had come back to the same hole.

Has anyone seen a moose coming back to a wallow that they had scoped out before the rutting season? If this is in fact what they do, then i have a pretty hot spot for a tree stand next year.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Question

No idea but the ones I have seen appear to have been a one time use deal. I have found ridges though that have several different ones.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Pee in it. See if any respond. I havent' tried it with moose yet, but I've been reading that peeing in deer scrapes seems to really set them off.

You know, I have heard of that too, for deer. I read an article about it in North American Hunter mag., but i think I would be pretty adament about trying that for the first time in a known rutting zone, as I have always been told to "leave no trace" in your hot spot. In the area i am scoping out there are a TON of tree scraps, so i've never really thought a moose would be interested in scraping the same tree twice or have a special place in his heart for it. But i have only found 3 or 4 rut pound holes, which made me wonder.............

Are you sure it a Moose wallow? The reason Iím asking is it is too early for moose to scrape much less make a wallow. I also donít understand why there is hair in the wallow.

I have seen several dozen scrapes, some are use every year, others are use for few years and abandon and some are a one time only. I have neveral seen hair in a moose scrape.

I was up at flattop last night seeing how much in rut the moose were and i was able to call in three bulls then i just backed off and watched the three bulls together. One was about 60 inches and the other two only 45-50. the two smaller ones started to fight and were pushing each other around pretty good. That was pretty cool to watch. The bigger bull went to the bushes and was really racking the brush so there starting to get a bit active in their rut behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Are you sure it a Moose wallow? The reason Iím asking is it is too early for moose to scrape much less make a wallow. I also donít understand why there is hair in the wallow.

I have seen several dozen scrapes, some are use every year, others are use for few years and abandon and some are a one time only. I have neveral seen hair in a moose scrape.
    Yes, a wallow is a chunk of ground that rutting bulls stomp out and pee in during he rut. Cows will sometimes roll around in these because of the scent, thus, probably the reason for the hair as far as i can figure. The wallows i saw were obviously from last season, but they were pounded to almost a foot lower than the surrounding ground, it just made me realize that i didn't know for sure or not if moose use the same wallows from year to year. But i guess a moose is big and powerful enough to stomp the ground down a foot in a season.

It is interesting to hear that you have seen scrapes used more than once, that doesn't seem to be the case where i hunt, as the scrapes i've found during a season just looks gray and dead the next.

Default Wallows

I bought a set of 4 tapes made by a chap named Alex Gouthro - best tapes I have seen on moose - 6 hours long - tells a lot about moose behavor, extensive calling tips, many actual set ups - however only one or two were actual hunting w'kills. He describes a difference in hunting Alaskan moose vs Canadian - mainly the way the bulls gather their harems. He stresses more bull sounds in Alaska prompting a fight - more cow calling for Canadian and lower 48 moose...
    Anyway, he said moose rut pits are not normally vary productive - perhaps if its steaming fresh it indicates a potential bull in the immediate area - but when they are roaming for love they may make a pit to see if any cows are in heat and if not may move on several miles.
    Hope this helps! Whitetails will repeat using scrapes very early - usually stop a week or so into the rut. Larger bucks are not as apt to make repeat trips however - they will come by and wind check but not neccesarily work the scrape....