Thread: awsome rainbow day!!!

Default awsome rainbow day!!!

I fished a stocked lake for rainbows today and knew there were big ones as i caught ONE last year in it. Today was fish after fish and they just kept getting bigger!! Had to keep the last one as it ingested the hook clear down into its throat, it was the size of a red salmon. I couldnt even use the net, i played it like a Pro, adjusting the drag lighter as it dove deeper and reeled it back towards the boat only to watch it strip line, turning the boat with every run. what felt like 15 minutes later it finally was tuckered out enough for me to boat it. I have honestely never caught such a big trout, it was the thrill of a lifetime. They have energy like Silver salmon and releasing others back to fish for next year means they will only get bigger. I went by myself as there is little room in the raft so if someone would have been in the front of the boat when the fish completely jumped over the bow they would have been knocked out of the boat anyway. Wife used the camera last weekend and used up all the memory and didnt tell me, so i couldnt take a pict of it until i got home, so ,

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4655/dsc01086zm.jpg heres the pict

Those fish were right on the bottom, caught a few up top with a red and blue vibrax but most were jigged and for the tiny little nibbles they made, they sure were alot bigger than there bite. If i tugged and felt a fish lip, the very next second a fish would come flying out of the water 30 feet on the opposite side of the boat, unbelievable they could travel 30 feet down to 30 feet off my port that fast!!!!

Never got to report a 20+ rainbow on my fishing license before, feel like i should be in a special club now!!

And to think i almost packed it in when i got there at 8:30 and it was raining cats and dogs. The one last year is small compared to this monster

Thats a nice sized fish! It almost looks fake. nice catch
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Dats a hog man, especially fop a lake stocky. Congrats.

a stocked lake in anchorage? ive seen and caught some bows out of jewel lake that were that size, but they are really hard to catch.

Don't know what lake that's from, but they put close to 1000 brood-stock hogs in Cheney Lake this year. Little lake, big fish. Could be a lot of fun.

Nice job!

Default restocked bait

and didnt realize how expensive balls of fire are. $3.99 for a midget bottle of them!! Im thinking a bead and one egg per bait up next time.

I havent fished Cheney lake in a long time but years ago when i lived in that area i think i kept one and it tasted like dirt? I really enjoyed the catch and release style though so as long as they dont stomach the hook.

Will the fish die if i just cut the line and let the hook rust away or is it pretty much toast for the fish if they swallow it down??

Default catch and release

I am not trying to start a fight here, but have you considered using lures instead of bait if you intend to release the fish? With a lure, the fish usually don't swallow the hook as deep as they do with bait. Just a thought.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

id cut the line. the hook will usually rot and the fish does have a better chance of living.

Default no problem jake

i only had this one take it down so far, but good point and option was there but i found an egg on a jig worked best. I was useing those jigs like for ice fishing with the sqwiggly tails with a single hook.

ive cut salt water hooks , ill keep in mind fresh water will rust also but slower in sure.

That is a nice catch. This is why I pretty much only bait fish if I'm back south with my brother fishing for catfish. I've been told that rainbows can desolve hooks pretty good but don't ever use those cheap gold colored hooks as they do not rust away.I think if they are not bleeding to bad cutting the line as close to the hook as you can is giving it a pretty good chance at making it.
    I can't think it to be great eating at that size, are you having it mounted?

the #1 reason I switched to flies was to stop killing fish. Thats a great bow, a fish of a life time it sounds like and thats what the stocked lakes are for, to catch and keep fish, hope he tasted good.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default great eating

wife said better than salmon!

I did think about getting it mounted but in the future how do you proceed to do that?

I had to clean it, but didnt want to take off the head and tail because i didnt have any film left, so i brought ti home to show the kids. Do you leave them whole if you want a mount made? Do they use the fish or whats the procedures for this? My grandma had a King Salmon mounted and i think they said it was freeze dried??

If just a photo and measurement is all thats needed ill be going back with a empty memory card on the camera next time!!!

Take measurements and pictures (can do with catch and release as well) and find someone who does reproductions. There used to be, and I believe still is a guy in Missouri (charteredwaters.com) that does excellent reproductions.

Default you still can.

just dig deep into the wallet. last time I checked its about $20 per in.
    There is a guy in Wasilla that does world class wood carving of your fish. He is very good and when he is done it will look just like a real fish. His price is $100 per in.

what lake? delong?
    Semper Fi!