Thread: Cobray -- World's most strange pistol/shotgun!!!

Default Cobray -- World's most strange pistol/shotgun!!!

And with folding stock:

First off, let me state I am a hunting novice, knowing only the shotguns available to me, but never antiques or the odd rarities that are highly sought after....now exit stage left....

My neighbor and cousin are using this freak-of-nature .45/.410 hand-shotgun to bag grouse when out stalking moose at Pt. McKenzie.

With limited research I learned this company also made "poor man's" uzis and "streetsweepers!"

Anyone familiar with these guns? I'd like to learn a lot more and possibly buy one. (And by stating such, what is a good place to find such a gun online and via print ads?)

They are as safe as they look nice

A friend of mine had one of these...er, jewels...for a brief time a long while (maybe 15 years ago) back and I got to have some experience shooting and attempting to repair it. I don't believe they're (mercifully) produced anymore as his was a complete loss in almost every respect. The only bright side is if you lose it you won't worry much about it.

You can do much, much better for a compact and light grouse getter. My son has been using a NEF single (tamer or something like that) with good results that I picked up for cheap. There are dozens and dozens of lower priced .410s floating around that will give better service (IMHO) than the Cobray product and if your budget allows you can find some real jewels in .410 doubles and pumps for a bit more.

You can also go up to a 20 ga. and find anything for any price you'd be willing to spend (and likely way, way more) in pumps, singles, doubles and autos.

Leinad makes and sells them now

Hodge,

I thank you for your reply. I wasn't interested in purchasing this gun for hunting -- far from it.
    I want one to collect -- to have as a keepsake and to freak other newbie hunters as it had done me!

My favorite shotguns are semi-auto Brownings with at least 40 years vintage...and I know these carry a pretty price tag!

Oh...my cousin and his friend -- the friend that owns this gun -- are using a .300 Win Mag and .338 Mag for moose this weekend...

I had a combo .22/.410 pistol made from the same company. It was really a piece of trash and would not even dent primers reliably. I got rid of it. If you want a neat little takedown .410/.22, get a Springfield Armory M6. Might have to look around a bit and pay a bit more, but it will last and go bang every time. I have one and with I had another in stainless steel, plus they made the M6 model in .22Hornet too.

The HunterIam,

I can understand your position. My cousin said today, upon returning from his Pt. McKenzie moose hunt* that he'd rather have a 12 guage for any distant range shooting. But when trekking through the woods all the grouse shot over the past two weeks were from 80 feet and under; and the Cobray .45/.410 was a good gun to have.

I believe you were referencing this gun?

http://www.milesfortis.com/church/akc13.htm

Now that is one odd looking weapon - definitely not "conventional" at all....How cool!

Personally, I'd rather use a Mossberg 12 guage, with 7 1/2 shot when hunting birds, so that if I run into something bigger I could exchange the shells with slugs.

--
    * From Friday, Sept. 11 until mid-day (Sunday), my cousin came within 25-30 feet of a cow moose off a trail. When a legal bull was spotted, it was about 600 yards out - so my cousin had a bead on him, or so he thought when it dashed into the woods. His .300 Win mag should have been able to nail that beast. It's rack was roughly 50-55" and it's weight was guesstimated at 1300-1400 lbs.

if you are still interested in learning more about, or buying one of these shotguns...... you can e-mail Justin xthexheadx@gmail.com