Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to shoot a trophy moose?

Default Who wants to shoot a trophy moose?

I found one, very inaccessible between Jim and Friday Creek at around the 3,000 foot elevation. I saw him whilst glassing (just for fun) to see what I could see. In a gully that looked almost vertical I saw him and two other moose. At first they were black dots, the larger one turned his head towards me and poof, only one third of his body was visible (the black part) and the rest was white antlers. He chased off the other two, of which I assume, were two other bulls in his bachelor group.

Should the hearty souls that may retrieve him; I shall only require that you do not eat me or my family because you are probably a fairly good sized bear if you are successful.

By the way, the hunting has gone from poor to "just plain sucks" in Knik River Valley. That USED to be a decent place to hunt moose until the last 5 years or so... funny that it coincides with the very good bear hunting that is has turned into.

There was a decent sized wolf that I saw towards Metal creek, I didn't think that they ran around as singles that much but I was firmly corrected once I saw him/her tearing for the pucker-brush.

So... bears, wolves; poor moose and even poorer moose hunters.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Yeah, I seen him up in there in bow season, he's a hog! I harvested my bull last week, but he is still floating around in my mind.

well then i spose i may have to take a look-see

Fly over friday creek canyon it will drive you crazy

Before that area went to draw I did a lot of sheep hunting in that area and can remember almost always seeing one or two big (big = at least 60") moose at higher elevations, most commonly in the left hand fork of Friday Creek. Needless to say they were always no where near a super cub strip, and usually in a location I wouldn't even want to try and butcher them in, much less hump out the meat. Whoever I was with always agreed that they were "pretty safe" where they were when we spotted them.

Default Much less

Much less hump out them antlers from the sounds of it. I've never shot a moose.....what does a mega set weight?

with just the skull plate, a good 60" set with normal mass will weigh around 45-60lbs. with the whole head intact, id say very close to 100.

Default Moose

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Much less hump out them antlers from the sounds of it. I've never shot a moose.....what does a mega set weight?
    I shot a moose w/ bow off the Haul road in 2007, and tried to bring the rack, skull and cape (which got soaked by rain) and that thing weighed easily over a hundred pounds, I finally had to drop and skin out the cape and seperate it from skull and Rack. It took two whole days to get all the whole moose out, and numerous trips to and from my truck which was about 1 GPS mile from the truck. It was tough doing it solo, but lots of fun!

man I'd love to shoot a 50" plus bull with my longbow..someday! Doesnt happen I shoot any moose and I'm the kinda guy that would rather shoot a smaller bull any day of the week....but someday before I get TOO old to hump around a biggun it'll happen. now if i could only find one close to town this year ($$$ tight)....oh well.

Default Moose - bah

See any goats on your glassing? I'm heading that way in a couple weeks to try and notch the registration tag I drew. I am still not completely decided between going in at Friday Creek or flying in somewhere higher up.

(Sorry - definitely hijacked the thread...)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    No mega set but my 65" set with just skull cap weighs 55#'s. It was alot harder to get out than the meat but would welcome the trip again. Or should I say "trips and falls". I tripped once and slipped, landed on my back. Felt like a turtle on his back, arms and legs flailing. Kodak moment???

[QUOTE=Gr is for Greg;574515]See any goats on your glassing? I'm heading that way in a couple weeks to try and notch the registration tag I drew.

How do you draw a registration tag??

Default Whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskantrapper View Post

How do you draw a registration tag??
    I meant a drawing tag. Cut me some slack - I'm working late on a Sunday night (between breaks to distract myself from work with this forum ) and I think my brain is fried.

I stand corrected. Thanks

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Kind of funny

I have been back duck hunting down below this area and watched the goats move across the hillside all day. Lots of nannies and kids. Maybe a few teenaged billies. Nothing that stood out in the binos as a mature billy, but they were all very low and near some draws that would have made for an "easy" stalk up from the lake shore.

Several times we did see cow moose up on the hill side.

Some mornings before shooting hours we would listen to the wolves howl back by Friday creek.

Default Put me on him

No pain no gain! Tell me where and we'll go get him

Default motivation

I went in there today and saw the bull in question. My problem is the lack of motivation, or the respect for my own life. That bull will be around next year if he stays up there where he is. You would kill yourself trying to get him down.

I know a guy that has been pulling those big alpine bulls down for years. Early on he would do it solo, making lots of trips. Now days he usually has a few buds and they do the community harvest thing. Basically shooter gets the choice parts and the spent tag and then everyone keeps what they haul out. They keep doing this until they all have their moose or the season ends. With enough friends most moose are accessible on foot, you just have to be charitable w/ the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    With enough friends most moose are accessible on foot, you just have to be charitable w/ the meat.
    Indeed. I'm thinking about doing a 3 mile walk-in this coming Saturday. If I happen to be successful, you'd better believe that I'll be calling three of my closest buddies to help pack it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Indeed. I'm thinking about doing a 3 mile walk-in this coming Saturday. If I happen to be successful, you'd better believe that I'll be calling three of my closest buddies to help pack it out.
    I'll be sitting by the phone

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I'll be sitting by the phone
    If you want to go along, I'd be happy to have the company. It's something of a crapshoot place. There's only about 300 yards of good moose habitat, and I've seen moose there every time I've hiked it in the summer. I've only hunted it once, though, and saw nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast