Thread: Opinions on Volvo 290 Duoprop

Default Opinions on Volvo 290 Duoprop

I'm looking at a boat with a Volvo 572 combined with a 290 duoprop sterndrive. I've always had outboards, so I'm looking for some guidance on what to look for when I inspect the boat. Does anyone have experience with these combos than can offer me some pointers?

Thanks,

-Luke

post some more info on the engine package and maybe some of us can help you

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The engine is a remanufactured (not rebuilt) VP 572 with 350 hours. I know little about the sterndrive other than it is a 290 duoprop and has not given the previous owner any trouble (no leaks, no water, etc). It has not been rebuilt in the last 4-5 years, so presumably there are at least 500 hours on the sterndrive.

The owner has changed the outdrive and engine oil religiously at 100 hours, but it's older.

I guess the biggest question (very difficult to answer) is how much risk am I taking on by buying an older outdrive coupled with this motor. Having never owned a sterndrive, I'm also curious about the maintenance intervals, and how often they need to be rebuilt (also a difficult and subjective question).

Don't know anything about your engine, but I've got a boat with twin KAD44 engines and dp-e drives. I believe the dp-e drives are pretty much the same as the 290 drives.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that these drives typically go anywhere between 800 to 1,500 hours before they need to be rebuilt. Also, they're not particularly robust drives, and how long they go will depend a lot how how they've been used, or abused.

Bottom line: No way to know what kind of shape your drive is in, or how much service it's likely to give you, without knowing a lot more about how many hours it has on it, a what kind of hours they were.

I have a 41P volvo diesel w/a 290 dupprop drive on my bowpicker, my drive has aprox 8000 hours on it and has never been rebuilt, it has had new u joints every 1000 hours, new shaft seals(2 sets) and the shifting cone was lapped just last year. In my opinion the 1500 hour rebuild theory is BS unless the drive has been abused or just plain beat up. I ALWAYS idle down the engine before shifting, never try to push a big load of weight(fish) and in general just baby the drive. When gillnetting i probaly shift the drive 150-300 times a day while working my gear, all in all its been a good drive and i owe its longevity to me being easy on it and more importantly never having any of the local dealers work on it, only guy that has touched it is a good friend of mine that works on outdrives, if you'd like his number just pm me.
    Just look the drive over carefully, if the skeg has paint missing or is chewed up then the boat was run in shallow water or grounded, look over both bellows(rubber boots) for cracks or cuts, wiggle the drive forth & back up & down that will tell you if the steering helmet is worn or if the pins holding the drive to the transom mount is worn, tilt the drive up with the trim pump and go away for a couple of hours when you come back see if the drive has come down any, if it did then either the trim rams are leaking or the trim pump is bad. If you can get the top box off, you'll have to drain the oil out of the drive, when you get the top box off there will be a coupling in the whole where the shaft connects , sight down inside the coupling and see if the splines are straight, if they are then the drive has never had a bad bottom or log strike, if it has waves in the splines then it had a hard hit and there may be more hidden damage in the drive(chipped gears, bearing damage).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692