Thread: Background checks

Default Background checks

I have been a hunter for years and own several firearms, have interest in purchasing a new handgun and a hunting rifle this fall but a glitch in my past has been keeping me from proceeding. I am not a convicted felon nor am I an evil person but about 13 years ago I was convicted of domestic violence (no weapons involved) after a house party got out of hand, aside from a horrible day for everyone and the stigma of this hanging over your head forever can I still purchase?? I have done some research and learned in Alaska 10 years have to have elapsed? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Spend the money to consult an attorney experienced in firearms law for clarification. Under both federal and state law anyone convicted of domestic violence cannot own firearms or ammunition even if the charge was a misdemeanor. I hope your conviction was something else but if it's DV you are screwed when it comes to firearms ownership.

Default not sure

of the length of time that must pass but I believe even if you have a felony you can (after a certain # of years) apply to the courts to retain your firearms rights. It also probably depends on the offense. I have an aquaintance that has a felony on thier record but after the time limit passed he applied for firearm possesion rights and was awarded them.
    Last edited by dandeo2003; 09-12-2009 at 20:30. Reason: add to

Easiest thing to do is buy at gunshows or want adds.That said just to clear my conscience I would get the OK from the local judge.It is a fact of life and I knew cops that had to check their gun in at the end of shift due to DV

Easiest thing to do is buy at gunshows or want adds.
    thats a federal felony...on his side if he does it and on the sellers side if he knows it

I believe he is already clear by Alaska (Fed) law,at least for rifle and shotgun.But like I said it would ease my mind to have a judges papers

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    thats a federal felony...on his side if he does it and on the sellers side if he knows it
    I would listen to WildAlaska.........

the reason the laws governing federal law are in place is to make sure that a person CONVICTED of domestic violence is not buying a fire arm that could present then for prolonged imprisonment. I honestly believe that people on this board do not serve this law to their own personal ends and believe in the law to continue an ongoing investigation.
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I believe he is already clear by Alaska (Fed) law,at least for rifle and shotgun.But like I said it would ease my mind to have a judges papers

Nope. He is barred by Federal Law from buying, owning or posessing a firearm and the only way out is to get a pardon from the gov.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

G. Gordon Liddy said he cannot legally own firearms, but his wife owns a bunch of'em.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    G. Gordon Liddy said he cannot legally own firearms, but his wife owns a bunch of'em.

Smitty of the North
    If he lives in the same home as his wife he should shut up about it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It would be a felony for ANYONE to knowingly transfer ANY firearm to someone convicted of a crime of domestic violence, misdemenor or otherwise. It is also a felony for someone who has been convicted to posess ANY firearm, be it a long gun or handgun. See USC 922 which deals with unlawful acts. To publicly encourage unlawful acts on this board such as "just buy at gunshows" is a recipe for legal disaster. Consult an attorney or a Judge and see if you can get your conviction expunged or set aside. It's cheaper to pay the lawyer BEFORE you get yourself and someone else in trouble. Good luck! GUNBUGS

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    If he lives in the same home as his wife he should shut up about it!
    He's mentioned it on his Radio Show, more than once, and even talked about going shooting. I don't think he's too worried.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default G. Gordon Liddy

G. Gordon Liddy was pardoned by President Ford. I think that means he has his rights restored and is now "clean".

Kirk out.

Default Are you kidding?

One DV and the man is barred FOR LIFE from owning a firearm? That is nonsensical. I think a man's record should speak for itself. 13 years without a charge is enough to clear anyone.

So..did the court actually notify you that you're rights were suspended or surrendered? BTW, I think most lawyers will give you 1/2 hour free consultation, that may be enough to actually figure out where you stand legally.

Good luck,

Tim

Default Lautenburg (don't quote my spelling)

I don't agree with that law but it is the a Federal law. Having a lawyer talk to a state judge is a waste of time.

Yes, under this law you lose right to own/posses firearems for life. And the bad part is that you don't need to be convicted, just accused.

Yes, under this law you lose right to own/posses firearems for life. And the bad part is that you don't need to be convicted, just accused.
    Wrong. An accusation does not trigger a lifetime ban.

I believe its just like the difference between Alaska and the fed on pot. There are differences and I know of lots of Alaskan provideing meat for their families that fall under this law.