Thread: Why oh why can't I find ALASKA King Crab??

Default Why oh why can't I find ALASKA King Crab??

Maybe the first time in years today that I went to buy some king crab legs. Go to New Sagaya and all they have is legs in a bag. Bag says Product of Russia. No thanks.
    Go to Costco where I can get individual legs. Product of Russia. I think all the legs from both places (and I guess everywhere else right now) were previously frozen, so seems like I should be able to buy a product of Alaska even though it's not in season. Same gripe about finding farmed salmon in the local stores. Guess people buy it so they keep on selling it. Shame.

last years stock is sold out, give it a month and a half and there will be fresh crab on the shelves again
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

might try coal point in homer, they likely have AK product.... guaranteed they won't have any from russia.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Big Box Business...

They buy according to opportunity, and crab from Russia or Alaska has nothing to do with the marketing of the product. The availability and price has everything to do with the marketing of the product.

The big box customer is unpreferential in king crab origins. To the customer, it's all about the product and price of it, and not its origins.

I learned this from a family member who was a big box buyer. I also observed it as a big box customer in the Lower 48.

Red Crab from Alaska costs me $16.99 a lb. in Kodiak plus the expense of bringing it back home. Russian crab costs me $12.99 a lb. right in my own hometown.

Do the math and you'll deduce as the smart consumer that many of you are...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Try a small company in Anchorage called AquaTech. They sell Alaskan King Crab. When I bought some in August they had Bristol Bay Red Crab and Norton Sound Red Crab. They had the best price of all the places I called for pricing and getting Alaskan crab.

Bering Sea season is in November.

anyone know where you can buy ALASKAN shrimp? all i can find in anchorage is china shrimp! I KNOW their waters are polluted!
    Semper Fi!

Try 10th & M. I'm not sure if there are any seasons going on right now, though. The PWS sidestripe fishery is done for the year, but I'm not sure about SE spot shrimp.

brian, if you are looking for AK shrimp i believe some fisheries will be opening this week in SE, look to sagaya or 10th and m when the boats come in...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Vegas!

I read an article in the Daily News Miner today that said they shipped about 600,000 pounds of Alaska King Crab to Vegas. I am glad I bought a 20 pound box about a month ago. I can tell the difference between the Russinan stuff and the Primo Alaska King Crab.

Default Oct 15 opening

Pretty much all of the Bering Sea crab fisheries (including Bristol Bay red king crab) open on October 15, though not all are fished immediately under rationalization (BB red king crab is fished immediately). I would imagine that it wouldn't be until late-october or early-november that fresh or fresh-frozen crab hits any retail stores.

King crab season starts here in a couple of weeks. They are busy loading pots now. You aren't likely to find much before this year's catch makes it to market.
    Now what ?