Thread: 1st river trip in the new HB

Default 1st river trip in the new HB

1st actuall river trip in the HB,loaded up our gear and 4 xtra gas cans and headed accross lake laberge,down 30 mile and about 35 miles up the teslin river.Then a few days later headed back down the teslin and up 30 mile which was high and very quick just up from hootalinqua,lake laberge was angry as usual,we battled approx 4' waves the 21 miles back to the boat ramp.The HB handled it great,averaged about 14 miles/gal.No bull moose,just a few cows and many eagles.

Sounds like a lifelong friendship started to me.Very nice looking rig

great stuff grit,

Sounds like you have quite the set up for all your traveling. I see you have the ash rails on your canoe too......very good looking boat. I hope you get a good moose this yr.

Default HB canoe

it looks good sounds like you had a good trip, if you want to improve what you have, look at a lift to fit the rig , it will help a lot in shallow water, it will enable you to go over sand bars, would not have to pull it as much an will extend the life of your prop a lot, it is made in Fairbanks my 2 CTS SID

Default Hb canoe

I have run a lot of rivers in the 30 + years with 19 FT Grumman ft. it is a good canoe, but if I had it to do all over again I would have to get an HB unit with a lift thoes photos shure look good to me, keep up the trips an have a good day SID

Thanks for the comments,I thought about the lift.But on my HB without the transom cut out, my honda long shaft skag is right at the bottom of the boat.I just recieved my rockhopper for my honda,will install it this week.I hopefully will see how the HB will come up river with a moose on board,might be very slow.Anyone ever manage to stuff 2 moose in their HB,wonder how much freeboard would be left!!

Any advise on what to coat the ash rails with,they are alittle rubbed,want to sand them before winter and apply varnish of some sort.

Default Hb canoe

it is like you said the plate is even with the botton that means the tip of the skag is about 12 inchs lower in the water column, if you had a lift you could cut that down to 2 to 4 inchs below the bottom as you get in shallow water you go slower an the transom will go down a little this will let you take the motor out of the water a little more you ""can't"" go fast with the motor jacked up, but you will go faster that pulling by hand keep you water pump wet or it will melt most of the outboards have a plastic pump with a metal insert [they will melt]

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Thanks for the comments,I thought about the lift.But on my HB without the transom cut out, my honda long shaft skag is right at the bottom of the boat.I just recieved my rockhopper for my honda,will install it this week.I hopefully will see how the HB will come up river with a moose on board,might be very slow.Anyone ever manage to stuff 2 moose in their HB,wonder how much freeboard would be left!!

Any advise on what to coat the ash rails with,they are alittle rubbed,want to sand them before winter and apply varnish of some sort.

Spar varnish is a marine varnish....great stuff for boats, and snow shoes too. Some of it has a tint. I finished all my seats with spar varnish, it's held up pretty good.

Great post! Have to say I'm a little jealous!

BTW the same properties that make spar varnish a great marine finish make it a great bow finish too.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.