Thread: .308 parent case is golden!!

Default .308 parent case is golden!!

The older I get the more I like calibers set in the trusted .308 case. I am a fan of the .243 Win for its speed and agile use in the pursuit of varmints and smaller deer species. The .260 Rem is a dandy round with its supreme BC/SD bullet and its accuracy at most hunting distances. of course the .308 Win is a trusted and time tested caliber which if using the appropriately constructed bullet within appropriate distances can take larger game such as elk and everything less in size. The .338 Federal is my current favorite with gobs of ft lbs of energy out to 200/250 yards and seems to be inherently accurate. Also, not to forget the sexy .358 Win which I have yet to purchase. I came close one year ago when I spied a Ruger M77 MKII in all weather format, it was calling my name but I picked up the .338 Federal in Kimber instead. I hope to snag a .358 Win real soon and make it a part of my .308 Win parent case family. A family that shoots together stays together! This parent case

You forgot the 7mm 08. A very nice round in it's own right. Great for black bears within it's range, deer and elk if need be with properly constructed bullets and patient shot selection. Also a handy and potent cartridge in a very nice rifle, the model 7, for sheep and goats.

and the 270 Redding

Default most definitely the 7mm-08

Oh, yes, yes! The 7mm-08, I have one and neglected it on the list, a very potent round indeed! When these calibers in the .308 Win parent case are loaded to max safe loads they seem to shoot more accurate and they really milk the most energy out of the powder. The 7mm-08 in Rem Model Seven would be a great rifle. I have a model 7 in .243 Win and it is very easy to wield and fast to come up and settles well.

I agree. I shoot a Browning BLR in 358 Win, and absolutely love it. I realize that much of my infatuation comes from the lightweight lever action of the BLR, but the cartridge is awesome as well. LOTS of knockdown power. Have fun!

Default taken game?

Terry D,
    What game have you taken with your .358 Win? deer, bear, etc.
    Chaps

I am with you, my son uses a 243, the wife a 308 and I have my 358 Win in a BLR. All three of them are solid performers. I hunt with others, but could be pretty happy with those three if needed. It is hard to beat the versatility of the 308 case. Plus, it is very efficient for what you get out of them. Scotty

Get yourself a 358. It is really a great round with alot of power in a small, easy handling package. Scotty

As good as all of the offspring are I really like the .308 itself. Very efficient and sufficient for more critters than most folks realize. I've had one of one flavor or another for 20 years now and been very happy with it.

One of the rounds thats slow to catch on but excellent is the 260 Remington. The recent popularity of good 6.5mm bullets should help it out some.

I've messed with most of the .308 based cartridges except the .338Fed. I'll have to rectify that pretty soon.

I Agree.

I have a .243, 2 308's, and a 338 Fed.

CHAPS, I bought the BLR a year ago, and haven't had a lot of bush time with it. I shot a big elk with it last fall - caught the rascal in bed, and anchored it from about 30 yds. Most calibers would do that at that range, but I was impressed by the impact of the bullet - it punched his head right around. I shot the elk through the neck, and that was that. He twitched once or twice, and never got a leg under him. I was shooting Hornady 250 gr. soft points, with 40 gr. of Hodgdon 4895. That's a modest load, but I haven't had time to work up and test other loads yet. Maybe this winter. But I am impressed with the mid range accuracy of the loads I have. With a zero hold, the BLR shoots approx. 4 inches low at 250 yds. I'm shooting with open sights, so I haven't tested farther than that yet. With practice, I expect to be confident out to 300 yds. without a scope.

Check some of Beartooth's posts in the past couple of months regarding his Ruger in 358 Win. He seems to be pretty stoked about it.

Have fun with that 308 case! The 7mm-08 is another caliber I'd like to try sometime. Personally, I'm first of all a meat hunter, and meat damage seems to go up in proportion to the amount of powder in the case. I'll stick with the middle-sized calibers!

Terry