Thread: Okuma Reels

Default Okuma Reels

Thinking of buying an Okuma reel for silvers. I saw one at Sportsman with a line counter. I can't remember the model. Anyone like or dislike these reels.
    Ray

I had one of the cheaper versions, $30ish. The plastic handle broke on it after a few uses. Got the same brand in a $60ish dollar range and it doing me pretty good. I would say 6 out of 10 stars.

Default Avenger AV50

That is the reel i have. I bought it for kings and it works great. I have about 4 of them (for friends who come up in the summer) and they seem to do great. Never had one break yet. I use them for silvers too and again they work great..

Default good reels

One of the better reels for the money.

Default Cedros

I have a number of their Cedros jigging rods and reels, both spinning and conventional. That is their high end saltwater tackle. They have been bulletproof and the finish is sweet.

We go throught about 100 okumas a year here at my resort. They are just cheap reels. we had to replace all the handles since the pins would snap. Granted they get used alot more than personal use. But i would stay away from them. I have shakespeare tidewater that is a great saltwater reel.

I was looking for a new smaller reel for silvers this year as well... I did quite a bit of diggin online and pretty much everywhere I found said Daiwa was the best bet.

I took the online consensus advice and picked up one of their mid range reels and it's been fantastic. despite the abuse I've put it through... (I have a nasty habit of dunking reels when baiting lures. )

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    I was looking for a new smaller reel for silvers this year as well... I did quite a bit of diggin online and pretty much everywhere I found said Daiwa was the best bet.

I took the online consensus advice and picked up one of their mid range reels and it's been fantastic. despite the abuse I've put it through... (I have a nasty habit of dunking reels when baiting lures. )
    Sierra Dragon, if you have time would you post the model of the Daiwa you have?

Thanks, Jay (fellow known reel abuser - LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Sierra Dragon, if you have time would you post the model of the Daiwa you have?

Thanks, Jay (fellow known reel abuser - LOL!)

Daiwa Exceler 4000 - Its spooled with Maxima ultragreen 15lb monofiliment line. and it's been a trooper for silvers this season. it's been much nicer than the Abu Garcia it replaced. I picked it up for around $75,

the salesmen tried to foist off some generic brand that felt nice in the store but who knows how long in the field... then he tried to sell me a $250 magnetic latched bail model... I don't like fishing THAT much

For the money a Pflueger President is darn hard to beat. Mine worked awesome for Reds this summer on the Kenai and i even caught a few halibut on it in Homer.