Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 Opti on Alaskan XL

Default 150 Opti on Alaskan XL

I need some opinions on putting a 150 Optimax on a 20 ft. Wooldridge Alaskan XL. I want to use the boat for jet and prop. Does anyone have a setup close to this and what do you think?

I have a 20' wooldridge sport with 150 E-Tec jet. I am happy with its over all performance. Wide open I see about 33 knots, but usually cruise in the mid 20's. I have looked into doing the jet / prop switch to get the best of fuel economy while in deeper water. The best way to do it is to get the spacer for the lower, it is about 5" wide and bolt between the lower unit and motor in order to get the prop to the proper depth. The reason I have not done this yet is the cost, prop lower unit + spacer = NOT cheap. The fuel savings just does not add up.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

Keep an eye and Craigslist and Ebay. I got one for TBlooma's boat last year for $185 shipped.

He has a 20' Wooley w/ 150 Opti. The times I have been in the boat it's seems to be a good setup with either jet or prop. On prop it flies, but any chop and it'll beat you to death.

I run a 20' Sport w/175 OPTI with both prop and jet. Also owned 20' Alaskan II w/135 OPTI. We never had any issues with load hauling or lack of power with either set up. I hear the new XL model is awfully nice. You on the Kuskokwim?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    I need some opinions on putting a 150 Optimax on a 20 ft. Wooldridge Alaskan XL. I want to use the boat for jet and prop. Does anyone have a setup close to this and what do you think?
    I run one of the new Alaskan II w/ a 140 Suzuki jet. It's not the XL, but good enough for me. I really like the power to weight ratio and it sips fuel. The power overall is great even when loaded (1000#) of gear +/-... Have thought about the prop conversion, but not too hard. It would be faster and haul more, but that would only be for trips that are once a year if that. If you run the Kuskokwim primarily and use a prop with the 150 Opti, I don't think you'd have any issues at all unless you hit shallow water where a jet would be needed. My boat hauls a-- as it is, I could only imagine a prop on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    Hey Kusko,

I just ran the break-in yesterday on a 150 Opti with a pump installed (110 Jet). My boat is an 18.5 foot, 1995 Hewescraft river runner. I had the wife, my son and a full 40 gallons of fuel, plus other gear.

The boat has good power with that much weight although I dropped off the wife and son on the beach to take some pictures of the boat on step, I felt a huge difference in performance when they got out.

JMHO - If you are a speed freak and will be hauling allot of gear or 2-3 people most of the time I would get a 175 or 200HP, but that is just me, I am a speed demon, you would have no problem if you ran the prop, but with the jet you loose that extra 40HP which is allot.

My GPS at 4000 rpm said 30mph with 3 people in the boat.

Have fun

Here are a couple of pics from the BigHorn Canyon in Montana...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pics from the BigHorn Canyon in Montana...beautiful place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys. Most of my boating is on the main Kusko, but I will be headed up some tributaries where a switch out is probable.

Kusko,

Get ahold of Randy Hambright at The Boat Shop in Fairbanks (452-4032). He rigged his XL with this in mind this past spring, and has had some problems with it, I think mostly due to the transom/lift modifications he had done to it, monkeyed with the steering capability I think - he'd have the specifics. He put an E-Tec 150 on it rigged for both jet and prop. Another buddy of mine in town runs both on his 2006 20' Alaskan II with a small block E-Tec 200; he's out hunting now but can relay anything he has to say on his set up when he gets back to town.

I run an E-Tec 175 on my XL (strictly with the jet unit) and it's a truly amazing machine - I ran a 17' Alaskan with a 115 Yamaha for many years and this new rig is leaps and bounds beyond what the old one could do. My philosophy is that the Alaskan series of Wooldridge hulls are designed for jets, and not so much props - but that's not to say that many folks have good success with putting a prop unit on them.

Default Wooly and Alweld

I have a 22'x70" Alweld w/ a 150hp jet/prop. The jet was used on fire support this summer, and did a great job w/ heavy loads. With the prop I run over 2,500 in the boat at 36mph down the Yukon.
    My buddy has the 20' Wooly w/ the same 150hp. He runs solely jet. This boat was also used on fire support and ran like a raped ape with 6 guys and gear. The young man driving that boat fell in love with the set up.
    Could I use more HP on my 22' boat? Yes. Well, not really, but I'd like it. I am looking at a 200hp or bigger Opti to hang on it, partly to reduce fuel consumption. Keep in mind that every year we run big Yukon safaris and will put on anywhere from 30 to 60 hours in September alone, most of it heavily loaded.
    For the average boater, on a 20' Wooldridge, the 150hp is more than enough motor most of the time.

Default PM

Kusko - I sent you a PM.

I am ordering a 20' XL or 20' Xtra Plus in September (any opinions?). I am currently up in the air with the motor. Alot of people here (Kuskokwim) are running props with lifts and switching out to jets when they need to. I plan on spending most my time up side river but the savings of running a prop as long as possible is very appealing with the price of gas here. Anyway, I was looking at the mercury opti pro xs 150/175/200. I'm not sure about ETECs I really like what they appear to offer but I have 0 experience with them and have not talked with anyone about them. I am also not sure of the service here (bethel) with them. I think 4 strokes are out due to the hole shot or lack of. Thanks in advance!

I have a 20ft Wooly sport with a 225 opti (for sale by the way!). I have the Jet and the prop lower units and the spacer (bay kit). top speed is right at 50mph. Fuel economy with the prop is 4.35 miles per gallon. As AKhilux noted the parts are not cheap. The lower unit and bay kit cost about $4500 or more.

20' Sport is a great boat. My buddy just got a 17.5' Sport. I've decided on the XL now I'm just sorting out the motor. Ya, there is nothing cheep about the motors or their parts but I'm splitting the boat with my Dad so at least that cuts all costs in half Given the winds we had yesterday the 15 degrees up front would have been nice, there was some rough spots

I wouldn't put anything smaller than a 175 on it. The 200 would give you better performance with the jet, especially with heavier loads. The Prop Shop is who I deal with out there and I've been satisfied with them. And you're right on about saving that little bit of gas/money by running a prop until you get to the shallow stuff. Do you have previous experience running the side rivers?

Thanks for the info consistent with what I was leaning towards. I just moved out here this May but I have already run a few in some of my friends boats (I drove). So experience yes a lot no But thats half the fun exploring new areas.

Sounds like you picked a Winner!! I grew up out there on those rivers and miss them dearly. The Kwethluk and Keys (as it's usually called) to name a view, are lots of fun and your setup should do awesome! Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGR0WN View Post
    I wouldn't put anything smaller than a 175 on it. The 200 would give you better performance with the jet, especially with heavier loads. The Prop Shop is who I deal with out there and I've been satisfied with them. And you're right on about saving that little bit of gas/money by running a prop until you get to the shallow stuff. Do you have previous experience running the side rivers?
    Another advantage to running the 200 (I believe it requires an H.O. version) is that you can run a "super pump" for the jet - it's a larger jet bowl/impeller combination that *really* gives it some giddyup - you can't (or at least shouldn't) run a super pump on a motor that's any smaller.

I've run my XL with a 175 for 2 seasons now and can safely say you won't be disappointed

Default Options...options....

I'm sold on the 175....Now I'm going through the additional options that I'm having added here they are:
    Canvas and side curtains
    Cruise curtain
    Swivel for upholstered seat
    Upholstered seats with backrests for 36" lockable storage boxes
    12V power plug for accessories
    5 8" cleats

Anything you guys didn't add that you wish you would have or any must have that I overlooked? Thanks again!

Just a few things you might look into:
    Smart craft gauges
    Racor fuel filter
    main tank shutoff valve/external tank hookup
    dual batteries
    VHF
    passenger windshield wiper

I also got the extended canopy which gave me almost 2 extra feet of room under the canopy. Makes a huge difference compared to the standard sized canopy - especially when bringing a few extra people or hauling stuff you don't want to get wet. Of course then there is always adding a stereo system for some tunes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast