Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Son's first moose

  1. #1
    Member Bigrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    68

    Default Son's first moose

    Let me start off by apologizing for no pics

    My wife and son camped out the day opening day.(I had to work.) Opening morning they took the canoe across the lake and spent the morning fighting thick brush, devils club, and only seeing brown bears.

    After taking the afternoon off to take a nap, they decided to drive down the road to another area and spend the evening glassing a large meadow. On the way to the meadow, my son says, "It would be awesome if a big bull walked out in front of us right now." The moose gods must have been listening to him, around the next corner a 41" with 3 brow tines bull WALKED across the road and stood broadside on the other side of the road.
    There was a couple of seconds of discussion af he was legal or not, he turned his head and looked right at them. My wife said all she heard was ,"1,2,3, he's legal" Bam! One shot right through the vitals with the Mossberg .308 that I bought him for his 16th birthday this year, and the moose ran 50 yards and piled up 30' off the road.

    My wife had to drive a few miles to get cell service so she could send me a text message. Pretty cool to see the message "Moose down need help".
    I got dressed and drove the 50 miles in record time to find them already having it half skinned and one quarter off.

    Finshed cleaning it and drove to town to hang it. We were all showered and back in bed by 4 am.

    Camera batteries were dead because they had been taking pictures of the brown bears from earlier. I will post pics after his wall mount is done.

    I just want to say how proud of him I am, we sat down together and watched the Fish & Game video. If you haven't done it already with your kids I highly recommend it. He made a good shot on a good moose and filled our freezer.

  2. #2
    Member Kort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    132

    Thumbs up Congrats!

    Good to hear. To bad you couldn't have been there when it all went down. Lucky boy to have his mom out with him!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    60

    Default Shooting Across the Road??

    I do believe you are supposed to be 150 ft off of a drivable surface before you shoot anything. Not 100% sure but I dont think shooting across the road is safe either. Congratulation to your son though!!

  4. #4

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrob View Post
    The moose gods must have been listening to him, around the next corner a 41" with 3 brow tines bull WALKED across the road and stood broadside on the other side of the road.
    There was a couple of seconds of discussion af he was legal or not, he turned his head and looked right at them. My wife said all she heard was ,"1,2,3, he's legal" Bam!
    Did I read this correctly? Did he really shoot across the road or have you mistyped?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    New member fishnhuntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    317

    Default

    I'm not going to dissect his post, I'm going to assume he took one step off the road (same side) and took him down. Congrats to your son, you, and wife for stepping up and taking him in your absence.

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357 View Post
    I do believe you are supposed to be 150 ft off of a drivable surface before you shoot anything. Not 100% sure but I dont think shooting across the road is safe either. Congratulation to your son though!!
    In most places you just have to be off the road - even by a foot - for it to be legal. Some parks and refuges have different rules, but the general rule is that you cannot shoot from or across a road, but no distances are specified.

  7. #7
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    congrats on your son's moose. For the other posters, you need to understand what you are reading. The moose was on the other side of the road, and then the moose walked across the road and they shot it. So quick to make accusations.

  8. #8

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    congrats on your son's moose. For the other posters, you need to understand what you are reading. The moose was on the other side of the road, and then the moose walked across the road and they shot it. So quick to make accusations.
    Not what was stated. Go back and re-read the original post. But the story will likely change a hundred times as it is retold by many. Sorta like an eye witness being lousy witness'. Comprehension of the written word is hard for many. Usually the first statements are closest to being correct after that it is often embellishment or damage control.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    today-Idaho
    Posts
    394

    Default Yippee!!

    Hooray for your family!!
    It's great your family hunts together and even better to have success now and then.
    Good eating and post photos of the boy in the yard at least!

  10. #10
    Member Bigrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    68

    Default Arm chair hunters

    This is exactly the reason I didn't post the story any sooner. People have to pick every @#$# thing apart. He made a good shot from the grass on the SAME side of the road as the moose. HE NEVER SHOT ACROSS THE ROAD!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Member Bigrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    68

    Default Thanks

    Thank you to all of you who read this and saw it for what it is a proud father wanting to tell the story.

  12. #12

    Talking Great

    I think its great that the kids get to go hunting they are the future in our woods.
    great that the wife took your son out in your absence. And last but not least Great for your son! I am a proud father that had his daughter kill her first moose as well.
    Congrats BigRob!!!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Good job to your son and wife, and to you for having him prepared. I know the feeling as my daughter shot her first moose this year as well. Hopefully you will be there for the next one. There is a lot of pride showing on my daughters face everytime we eat some of "Her" moose and I am sure you will see that look as well.

  14. #14
    Member Bigrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Did I read this correctly? Did he really shoot across the road or have you mistyped?



    No I didn't mistype YOU misread.

  15. #15

    Default

    Seems like some folks on this forum read these success stories just looking for any angle to find the poster committing some violation. Makes me wonder why anybody would post a success story here. Congrats on the moose hunt and sorry that the internet cops tried to bust you.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Honestly, I think the reason folks point out potential violations is because they want to help. Yeah, a few come across a bit too harshly, but making sure that folks reading are clear on the regulations is a helpful thing. The troopers read these forums as well, so it's important that we help each other stay within the bounds of the law. When a post is unclear, it's not unreasonable for folks to ask a question or two. It has been perhaps a bit too common lately, but I think the motivations of most folks who ask such questions is good.


    Side note - Hey Rob, can you take a picture of your boy with the antlers in the yard to share with us? Few things are better than pictures of a proud youngster with their first big game harvest. Congratulations to you both!

  17. #17
    Member BIGAKSTUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Awesome story! It sounds like you have a new man of the house when it comes to filling the freezer. Kudos to your wife for going with him in your stead, a lot of women wouldn't do that. Its also great that you are getting it mounted for him, always wish i would have done that with my first moose..............but instead the rack is all bleached and molded on a wood shed. Good hunt
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

  18. #18
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    always wish i would have done that with my first moose..............but instead the rack is all bleached and molded on a wood shed. Good hunt
    At least yours is there...my 54 was stolen out of our backyard

  19. #19

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrob View Post
    No I didn't mistype YOU misread.
    But you stated: "The moose gods must have been listening to him, around the next corner a 41" with 3 brow tines bull WALKED across the road and stood broadside on the other side of the road.
    There was a couple of seconds of discussion af he was legal or not, he turned his head and looked right at them. My wife said all she heard was ,"1,2,3, he's legal" Bam!".

    Originally I interpreted your words to mean the "other" side of the road. But thanks for clearing this matter up.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  20. #20

    Thumbs up way to go...

    I am happy for all of you. I think a family moose hunt is the best Alaska has to offer and almost anyone can do it. I remember how thrilled me and my parents were when I shot my first moose at age 16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •