Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 XCR

Default Remington 700 XCR

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some opinions on the Remington Model 700 XCR. I'm considering buying one (375 H&H). Pros and Cons would be greatly appriciated.

Default Just bought one

I just purchased one in 338 RUM. I havnt shot it yet but i love it so far. Ill post a report when it gets a little warmer.

Default Remington XCR

I bought one when they first came out in .338 Win Mag. Didn't see the need for a 26" barrel, so after cutting 3" off it now is a handy big game rifle. I wish it came with iron sights as it does with the 375, but either way it is a straight shooter like most 700's. It's been in some nasty weather and doesn't seem to care as much as its owner.

Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I bought one when they first came out in .338 Win Mag. Didn't see the need for a 26" barrel, so after cutting 3" off it now is a handy big game rifle. I wish it came with iron sights as it does with the 375, but either way it is a straight shooter like most 700's. It's been in some nasty weather and doesn't seem to care as much as its owner.

Wyatt
    Thanks for the info Wyatt. I have a question for you though, is the stock loud going though brush? My dad bought a replacement stock for an older 700 he has and it appears the stock is hollow, which makes it loud just picking it up. It appears that the XCR stock is a bit more substantial than the one he has, but just thought I'd ask.

Yamahain'

Default XCR

Yes it's hollow, but not to the point of being noisy while boonie tromping! The couple of inches ahead of the butt pad are the "loudest" but I think the Monte Carlo portion helps stiffen/deaden the whole thing. Hey it can always double as a drum in camp for your nightly entertainment! Either way, I don't think it will ever be an issue - at least if you hunt like I do. What's your plan for the 375 H&H?

Wyatt

I would suggest you go ahead with the purchase. I now have two and will be getting a third in a couple of months. The first was a 30-06, and my most recent purchase was a 375 Remington Ultra Mag. My next will be in 300 Win Mag, but it will have to wait untill after the first of the year.

The more you handle the stock the better you will like it. To me it`s design definitely helps with recoil.

Default Wyatt

Any performance differance with the shorter barrel.

Thanks for all the posts guys, it sounds like the XCR will be a good choice. I plan on using it for Deer mainly, I know it sounds like an overkill, but I hunt on Admirality by myself a fair amount during the early season, so I'll like the added protection.
    Does anyone have any information on the 210 grain Barnes bullet for the .375?

Well christmas came early and I got the 700 XCR .375. I can't wait to get out and shoot it. It's pretty light, I hope those limbsaver recoil pads are as good as they say
    Anyone have any experience with the Nosler Partition 300 grain bullets?

Default Hillbilly

Expect to lose somewhere around 20 fps for every inch you shorten the barrel! I know some have chopped 375's down to 20", but at some point you lose the advantage of the magnum while increasing muzzle blast. I think 22"-23" is usually the sweet spot! I initially found the XCR muzzle heavy and slow to swing, but by cutting 3" off, it now balances more between my hands. I'm now waiting to hear the real specs on the .375 Ruger and might fall to the gun blowhards and build one up.

Wyatt

Default model 700 XCR 375 H&H Mag

I don't know what you are planning on hunting with this, but I was wondering if maybe you had considered the same gun in the 375 remington ultra mag. The loads can be built up to that of a 378 weatherby mag and it is a lot flatter shooting than the H&H. Has more energy and alot higher volicities than then the H&H. Something that I would take a look at if you have not purchased yet. I love my 375 ultra mag.

Hi,

I bought mine last summer. I love it. It is well balanced, nice to shoot gun. The R3 system makes mine feel like a 30-06 hot load recoil wise. I have had several people shoot it and at the end the quote heard was , "I thaught it would kick harder!" It puts a round right where I want it everytime. It likes federals both 270-300 grains sp. I bought 2 boxes of doubletap 300 noslers and 1 box of 350 woodliegh weldcores for spring time squirrel issues (LOL!). I would not even bat an eye over dropping money for another one. Great Gun......

Enjoy!

Ron

Default Yamahain'

Let us know which caliber you choose and how the recoil is. I am interested in this rifle too.

I am considering the XCR in 300 WSM. Was curious if there were any updates / experiences with the XCR line. Does the coating hold up in weather as advertised?

I got one last year chambered in .375 RUM. I had the barrel chopped down to 21" and ordered 100 brass and some Barnes TSX's. I've put nearly 100 rounds through it and love it! I like the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad it comes with.

I did a thread about my rifle....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=Remington

- Clint

Unhappy exteremely inaccurate

Hi guys, I got an XCR in 270 for Christmas last year and am extremely disappointed. The gun handles well and the action is smooth. That is where the good news ends. I haven not been able to sight it in properly, since it loses its zero after a few shots. The first shots go in the general direction. But, as soon as the barrel heats up just a bit the bullets will spray all over the place. Since whitetails in South Carolina are on the tiny side I had to switch to my TC encore for the real hunting. Ammo changes made no difference. Boresighting did not help either.

Default heavy recoil in 270

The XCR kicks like a mule in 270 chambering.

More generally, has Remington gone downhill? I'm asking because I have a 22-year old 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag, and it has been a great, accurate, and perfectly-reliable rifle to this day. But I seem to hear a lot more criticism than praise of their newer rifles.

Default gone downhill....no-way

I have several Rem 700's and the XCR I bought last year in 300wm is a fantastic rifle IMO. I can't get over the low felt recoil on it.

My Model 7 7-08 kicks noticably harder.

I found a 375 ultra mag xcr rem 700 looking to buy any thoughts on it..i got a 338 win mag and im fine with the recoil how is the 375??
    thanks

I got one last year chambered in .375 RUM. I had the barrel chopped down to 21" and ordered 100 brass and some Barnes TSX's. I've put nearly 100 rounds through it and love it! I like the Limbsaver R3 recoil pad it comes with.

I did a thread about my rifle....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=Remington

- Clint[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast