Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaze King Princess

Default Blaze King Princess

Hi,

What are your thoughts on the Blaze King Princess?

I built a 16 x 32' two story cabin that I would like to heat it with a wood stove that has a long burn time on low. I understand that Blaze King measured this low 20 hr burn time while burning Oak. How does it do while burning Birch or Spruce? Now I have a little over 1000 square feet and the Princess calls for 1500+ square feet home to heat. Not sure if they mean 1500+ on hig or low. Would this stove be to much for my cabin?

Thanks for the info,

MJ

Default BK Princess

I have a old non cat princess in my 16x24 with 20' ceilings chalet style.

It is by some accounts to big for this little cabin, but on good birch I can throttle it down and burn 12 hours at 10-15 degrees or below and be comfortable. When it is -35 my neighbors come over to our cabin because it is the warmest cabin around.

my buddy had a two story 24x32 of marginal construction and insulation qualities and he too has a princess. It takes a few hours to heat the place up, but once it is warm it runs on about half damper for 7-9 hours on a load of decent birch.

Tom

I have the Princess in my house. Before we added on this summer, it was 1700sf. Last winter, even in January, I could load it up with birch at about 6:30 in the morning, set the thermostat to 1 1/2-2 and it would still be warm in the house by the time my daughter got home from school in the afternoon and threw a couple more logs on the fire. I wasn't burning the best wood, either. Most of it was stuff that had been down for a few years without being bucked or split at a friend's house. I got it for free, so I figured I'd burn it. A lot of it was pretty conky, but it still burned well enough. With better wood, I'm sure it would have burned longer and hotter. It was dry by the time I burned it, but had lost a lot of BTUs.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Is your buddy's a non cat also?
    Another problem that I'm going to have is that my current stove has a eight inch flue. I'm looking to go to a six flue, but I do not want to remove my eight pipe in the roof. Could I go to a 8x6 reducer? I see that they are made, but would that mess up my draft in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I have the Princess in my house. Before we added on this summer, it was 1700sf. Last winter, even in January, I could load it up with birch at about 6:30 in the morning, set the thermostat to 1 1/2-2 and it would still be warm in the house by the time my daughter got home from school in the afternoon and threw a couple more logs on the fire. I wasn't burning the best wood, either. Most of it was stuff that had been down for a few years without being bucked or split at a friend's house. I got it for free, so I figured I'd burn it. A lot of it was pretty conky, but it still burned well enough. With better wood, I'm sure it would have burned longer and hotter. It was dry by the time I burned it, but had lost a lot of BTUs.

Is your princess a non cat?

8" is for real stoves.. leave the 6" pipe for the cheap imitations. BLAZE KING ALL THE WAY!
    Semper Fi!

Hmm I had this problem also with the flue. I just ran the 6" inside the 8" which = better insulation for the pipe. That was on my barrel stove How ever I did purchase a blaze king this last summer. I chose the king classic for heating about 1400 sq ft. It may be too much stove however at -50 I do not want to be short of heat. I had a barrel stove before and it did great. I hope the blaze king will do better. With the barrel stove I burned about 4 cords a yr.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcity2 View Post
    Hmm I had this problem also with the flue. I just ran the 6" inside the 8" which = better insulation for the pipe. That was on my barrel stove How ever I did purchase a blaze king this last summer. I chose the king classic for heating about 1400 sq ft. It may be too much stove however at -50 I do not want to be short of heat. I had a barrel stove before and it did great. I hope the blaze king will do better. With the barrel stove I burned about 4 cords a yr.
    I heard of people that ran 6" metalbestos pipe inside of 8" metalbestos and they said it worked fine. I think that I'm just going to try the reducer 8" to 6".

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman6x6 View Post
    Is your princess a non cat?
    Mine is catalytic.

FWIW, if it was me, I'd go with the King instead of the Princess. The King uses 8" flue. The price difference isn't outrageous, and nothing says you have to stoke it all the way up if you're concerned about having too much stove for the size of your cabin. The only reason I didn't get the King was that I had a pretty new 6" chimney, and couldn't see spending the money to convert it to 8".
    If you decide on the Princess, you can adapt your 8" down to 6". At worst, it will draft more than it was designed for and burn faster. On the other hand, depending on your chimney layout, location, height, etc., it may not make any difference. You wouldn't want to try going the other way, but that might be the best solution all the way around if you don't want to get the King right now. It leaves you with the option of changing over later if you want to.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Mine is catalytic.

FWIW, if it was me, I'd go with the King instead of the Princess. The King uses 8" flue. The price difference isn't outrageous, and nothing says you have to stoke it all the way up if you're concerned about having too much stove for the size of your cabin. The only reason I didn't get the King was that I had a pretty new 6" chimney, and couldn't see spending the money to convert it to 8".
    If you decide on the Princess, you can adapt your 8" down to 6". At worst, it will draft more than it was designed for and burn faster. On the other hand, depending on your chimney layout, location, height, etc., it may not make any difference. You wouldn't want to try going the other way, but that might be the best solution all the way around if you don't want to get the King right now. It leaves you with the option of changing over later if you want to.

Good points.

Im not going to go with the King because of the little bit of room I have in the cabin.

My chimney is 14' to the ceiling. Another three feet out. I think that I'll go with a new Princess and buy the 8" to 6" reducer. That reducer would be install around the 14' level. So then their would only 3 feet of 8" metalbestos. If I start having draft problems I think I'll try installing 6" metalbestos inside the existing 8" metalbestos pipe. Then my entire chimney would be 6". I heard of people doing that and they said everything fits nice but I would have to figure out a way to secure the 6" inside the 8". If that dosent work then I guess im going to have remove the 8" pipe. What a pain in the ass that would be.

How big is your cabin? Does the Princess heat it up nice and how long is your average burn time on birch.

Thanks,

Mike

For constant heating the smaller Princess may be fine. If you intend to show up to a cold cabin on Friday nights all winter you'll wish you had the King or an equivalent, and probably will in a year or two.

Initial heat-up and maintenance heat. Consider your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    For constant heating the smaller Princess may be fine. If you intend to show up to a cold cabin on Friday nights all winter you'll wish you had the King or an equivalent, and probably will in a year or two.

I think that the King would be just too big. Size and btu output for the size of my cabin. I have a big Earth stove that just cooks me out on low. When I do get to my cabin for the first time in two weeks on those -20 below days the earth stove heats up the cabin in a few minutes but then it just gets too hot. I could never find a happy meadium with it. I believe I would have the same problem with the king.

My house was about 1700sf. We added on over the summer, so its closer to 2400 now. We'll see how much difference I notice when I fire up the stove for the winter. With a full load of good birch, I can easily go for 12+ hours. I don't think I've ever left it unattended longer than that, but it was still going good at that point.
    Those old Earth Stoves are awesome, but can be somewhat difficult to control the heat. I'd love to have one if I could find one that was still in good shape. Most people don't want to get rid of them if they have one of the older ones.
    The thing about Blaze Kings is that the temp control is so much more precise. Even with a large stove, you can control it so that it doesn't burn you out of the house. I didn't quite believe it until I had one, since I was used to older stoves.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

That really surprises me. I have a 16x24 1.5 story, and a non-cat princess with an 8" stack.

It's all I can do to keep it cool in there. It takes less than 10 minutes to go from -25 to +90, once it gets going. This past winter, which was unusually cold for us (-20-35) I kept the stove on "1" and still had to keep a couple windows cracked.

I'm running 24" OC 2x6 with R-21 walls.

I can't imagine what kind of hurt I'd be in with a King

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    That really surprises me. I have a 16x24 1.5 story, and a non-cat princess with an 8" stack.

It's all I can do to keep it cool in there. It takes less than 10 minutes to go from -25 to +90, once it gets going. This past winter, which was unusually cold for us (-20-35) I kept the stove on "1" and still had to keep a couple windows cracked.

I'm running 24" OC 2x6 with R-21 walls.

I can't imagine what kind of hurt I'd be in with a King
    I agree with you.

Default Blaze King Stoves - Where to buy

Where is the best place to buy a Blaze King Stove - anyone making any deals
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    Where is the best place to buy a Blaze King Stove - anyone making any deals
    Before you make the purchase, do yourself a favor and check out some of the high end stoves. With the stimulus money and tax credits, you can buy a quality stove for the same or less money than the ones with a cheaper price tag. You have to look at the tags and see if they stove you like qualifies for the discount. This goes for pipe and flue as well. Take a look/comparison at the stores in Anchorage as well. If you have time to shop, you can save big money.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Princess

tonight it is currently +4

My Princess is stoked with a nice bed of coals and a slow burn on #1... two year old birch split in quarters.... 600sf cottage... two windows cracked.... and +78

Typical.... Yes I have too much stove.... but I have the warmest cabin for 20 miles at 20 below...

Older Blaze Kings are like older women..... not quite as sexy, but way better in the long run.... I love my 1986 Princess....

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    tonight it is currently +4

My Princess is stoked with a nice bed of coals and a slow burn on #1... two year old birch split in quarters.... 600sf cottage... two windows cracked.... and +78

Typical.... Yes I have too much stove.... but I have the warmest cabin for 20 miles at 20 below...

Older Blaze Kings are like older women..... not quite as sexy, but way better in the long run.... I love my 1986 Princess....

Tom

very true.. love my old blaze king! now if i could just find a smokin deal on some seasoned birch since i wasent prepared this year!
    Semper Fi!

Default Princess is great

I have a catalytic Princess & am very happy with it.My cabin is 16x20,2 story.R-19 on 24" centers.I did not have all the insulation or vapor barrier up last winter & it still kept the cabin comfortable overnight at around -10
    I loaded it up on average 2 to 3 times in 24 hrs. My wood wasn't seasoned that great either...split birch & spruce seasoned 8-12 months.I think as I get the cabin sealed up tighter & more seasoned wood I'll be able to get
    12= hrs. on a load.Bought mine at Ak.Fireplace outside of Wasilla,Dan is
    helpful & knowledgable.
    Buzzy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast