Thread: Hatcher's Pass

Default Hatcher's Pass

I'm going to Hatcher's pass in two weeks and I was wondering could anyone recommend some nice 2 or 3 day hikes to do. I was reading about that bomber but I guess the glacier will be too dangerous. Also, what is the bear density around this area like? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles-C View Post
    I'm going to Hatcher's pass in two weeks and I was wondering could anyone recommend some nice 2 or 3 day hikes to do. I was reading about that bomber but I guess the glacier will be too dangerous. Also, what is the bear density around this area like? Thanks.
    What bomber in Hatchers Pass involves a Glacier?

I can only assume you mean the B-29 that crashed on Baldy many years ago? That is on the Wasilla side of the range and nowhere close to a glacier.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Depending on your orientation skills, you might just consider hitting the tundra and heading off the trails. There are some great areas up near Archangel....

Default Bomber Glacier

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What bomber in Hatchers Pass involves a Glacier?

I can only assume you mean the B-29 that crashed on Baldy many years ago? That is on the Wasilla side of the range and nowhere close to a glacier.

I'm guessing Charles is referring to the wreck on Bomber Glacier, north and west of Reed Lakes, not the wreck on Baldy.

Charles- If there is fresh snow on the glacier, I wouldn't go near it...but I've never been a big fan of running around on glaciers. The Reed Lakes area would be a great spot to camp out and do day hikes from there. Lots of ridges to explore out that way.

Thanks, I guess we'll get camped up on Reed lakes and explore from there.