Thread: Interesting Goose Flight Formation

Default Interesting Goose Flight Formation

I was standing in my front yard today around noon when a huge flock of Canadians came in from the northwest (from the Kenai river mouth area). As they approached my house they started turning to the north. They proceeded to start flying into a tight circle until the leading birds were just behind the tailing birds and it looked like a huge doughnut in the sky. They continued to circle the same spot for a full minute just a couple hundred yards north of my house over a residential area. As I watched, I then hear some honking from behind and look back to see a smaller formation coming in from the southwest on a beeline for the circling geese. As soon as this second formation arrived at the location of the first, the two groups merged into one, then spiraling out of this huge doughnut, they formed up into a huge vee and proceeded east.

I wished I would have had a video camera as this was a very cool event to watch. I'd never seen such a thing before.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

They were probably grabbing altitude for their flight. I have seen similar behavior out of sand hill crane. In any event, it is cool to watch.

Wow, that sounds crazy! How many birds are we talking about? Have you done any searching on the net to find info on similar behaviors or video?

Are you sure they were canada geese? I was at the upper end of Skilak Lake Saturday evening when several hundred sandhill carnes did they same thing. It looked like they were climbing in a thermal for an easy gain in altitude.

I've seen cranes do this before as well but I have never seen any geese do it. I would think they would all do it for the same reason

Lost track of this thread...

Yes, they were loud, honking geese. Dark bodies, black necks, white stripe on the head. The second group that came in flew right over my head, almost scraping the tree tops.

The first group that stopped to circle was at an altitude of no more than 300 feet and did not change that altitude at all during their pause to circle.

From my view point, it simply appeared that group 1 went into a "holding pattern" and waited for group 2 to catch up and join them. There was probably around 150-200 or more birds in the first group and the second group had perhaps 30.

Wish I would have had a video camera handy to capture it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I saw a flock tonight about two hundred dark colored geese, They were pretty high! they came out of the west with the sun at their backs. After they flew by I noticed something flashing white in the middle of the flock so I picked up the binos and there was six of them that were solid white. I think they were swans from the wing movement. Seemed kind of unusual to see them flying with the geese. But this is the north slope and it has been snowing all day off and on. I guess they could have been snows but they did not fly like them.