Thread: Great Northern Guns

Default Great Northern Guns

I had decided to change from 9mm to 40 S&W. I read many articles before doing this & wanted to see what pistols are available. I checked at a couple stores that let me simply hold their pistols.
    The salesman at Great Northern Guns brought out every 40 caliber pistol they had, which was a great selection, and explained about the differences between each of them. He then insisted I try the triggers on each of them (which I hadn't been able to do anywhere else). They had Smith & Wesson, H&K, Sig, Walther, Springfield, & a couple others. He then pulled out a custom 1911 & had me try the trigger, which was unbelieveable. By this time, I was drooling on their counter. I know where my PFD is going. Kudos to Great Northern Guns!

I know what you mean, when me and my wife went in once, I noticed a beautiful rifle on the wall. Salesman showed it to me, it was a Rigby .275 Rigby, for a then inexpensive $2500. I told my wife this is what we would carry for a pot rifle were we headed to Africa in the '20's, then the salesman pulled a gigantic double-barreled rifle off the wall and handed it to my wife, telling her "this is what would be the heavy rifle". By this time all the salesmen were hanging around chatting the wife up...long and short of it...this is one of the only shops my wife will go in because the guys don't treat her like a retarded female, only a woman that might be interested in purchasing a firearm. They always pull a gat or two from under the glass to show her.
    GNG is a class act.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default exactly

I've been going there since 1993 when i got up here . I can proudly say I have bought every new gun I have purchased from them ...

Quote Originally Posted by brettcar View Post
    I had decided to change from 9mm to 40 S&W. I read many articles before doing this & wanted to see what pistols are available. I checked at a couple stores that let me simply hold their pistols.
    The salesman at Great Northern Guns brought out every 40 caliber pistol they had, which was a great selection, and explained about the differences between each of them. He then insisted I try the triggers on each of them (which I hadn't been able to do anywhere else). They had Smith & Wesson, H&K, Sig, Walther, Springfield, & a couple others. He then pulled out a custom 1911 & had me try the trigger, which was unbelieveable. By this time, I was drooling on their counter. I know where my PFD is going. Kudos to Great Northern Guns!

was that friday around 1230 or so ?

I agree on GNG. Nice place to do business. I shopped there frequently when I lived in Anchorage.

Wish I knew of the Fairbanks equivalent.

Great Northern Guns has been my choice for a firearms dealer since I got into guns 3 years ago. From the first time I went in there to pick out a gun, they treated me with courtesy and respect. I know most of their employees on a first name basis and they know me when I walk in. I even get invited to their annual parties which is nice, no other gun dealer that I know of holds parties.

Their selection is great and prices are reasonable.

My 2nd choice would be Gun Runners on Northern Lights. They'll take just about any kind of gun imaginable LOL!

Yes, it was around 12:30 or so on Friday.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I like that place too.

I've noticed recently, they've had some rather unique used guns for sale, things not seen elsewhere. It's an interesting place to look around. You never know what you'll find.

I'd like to find a Single Shot 30-30.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I was there visiting with my buds today, they got a nice supply of 4895 IIRC.

And they are open on Sunday Easy to look around and I don't mind drinking their "coffee."

Default 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I like that place too.

I've noticed recently, they've had some rather unique used guns for sale, things not seen elsewhere. It's an interesting place to look around. You never know what you'll find.

I'd like to find a Single Shot 30-30.

Smitty of the North
    Smitty, not sure if you have looked at H&R but they make a single shot 30-30.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

Not a real fancy gun but is in the right caliber.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Smitty, not sure if you have looked at H&R but they make a single shot 30-30.
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

Not a real fancy gun but is in the right caliber.
    Thanks markopolo:

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I know what you mean, when me and my wife went in once, I noticed a beautiful rifle on the wall. Salesman showed it to me, it was a Rigby .275 Rigby, for a then inexpensive $2500. I told my wife this is what we would carry for a pot rifle were we headed to Africa in the '20's, then the salesman pulled a gigantic double-barreled rifle off the wall and handed it to my wife, telling her "this is what would be the heavy rifle". By this time all the salesmen were hanging around chatting the wife up...long and short of it...this is one of the only shops my wife will go in because the guys don't treat her like a retarded female, only a woman that might be interested in purchasing a firearm. They always pull a gat or two from under the glass to show her.
    GNG is a class act.
    I have had the same experiences with GNG's and my wife feels the same way as yours!

The wife bought me a 500 Smith with the gold bear on the side from GNG. She did all the dealing with them and had it shipped to a local FFL. Everything went great.

Yog is a great guy to deal with. He's the only reason I ever stop by Great Norther Guns.

Me and Yog go way back...so do me and Joe.

Other than Gunrunners, GNG is the only shop I will go to on a regular basis