Thread: Wheel spacers on a Rhino...?

Default Wheel spacers on a Rhino...?

With the recall Yamaha is putting 2" spacers on the rear.... What about the front. Anyone put 1 to 1.5 inch spacers on the front and what was your opinion. I like pics if you have some.

AK1032

Quote Originally Posted by AK1032 View Post
    With the recall Yamaha is putting 2" spacers on the rear.... What about the front. Anyone put 1 to 1.5 inch spacers on the front and what was your opinion. I like pics if you have some.

AK1032

Putting rear wheel spaces on the Rhino will actually even up the rear track with the width of the front track. I have been told the front runs a little wider than the rear. I would not recommend spacers for the front of the Rhino. It will increase steering effort and wear on the front hubs and CV joints. You get stability from the rear and steering/cornering from the front. Adjusting your shocks up front will do a lot more for your ride than wheel spacers.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

What he ^ said, plus add terrible bump steer.

Spacers are a "no" "no" they may help on certain quads like a blaster for example since their so skinny, but in most cases your going to brake studs, and put lots of stress on your ball joints. Extended a-arms ( and axles too ) are the only best way to widen your atv/ utv.

Extended A-Arms=longer CV's, not feasible for everyone. I run my Ranger with wheel spacers just to put my tires outside your avarage rut, I get a bit more bite and it digs like a hawg in the mud. That being said, balljoints lasted a year with the 27's. I've never had an issue with anything else, but I do have a Ranger, not a Rhino. I say run 'em. Check with your dealer, "sometimes" they'll help warranty any part defective due to the addition of aftermarket parts- if they are bought in house.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Extended A-Arms=longer CV's, not feasible for everyone.
    Very ture.. Spacers are one of those things were some people love them and others hate them, you really have to try them to know for yourself.

Only extended a-arm kits I have seen lift said vehicle 3-6 inches, moot point when trying to gain stability. All in all, spacers have worked out well...except that they fling mud allll over me and the passenger lol. Bibs and boots are always a must have.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Only extended a-arm kits I have seen lift said vehicle 3-6 inches, moot point when trying to gain stability. All in all, spacers have worked out well...except that they fling mud allll over me and the passenger lol. Bibs and boots are always a must have.
    Wouldn't including extended Axles (as NorthPoleGuy pointed out) prevent that?

Most are referred to as Long Arm kits, and generally include some degree of lift

A good extended A-arm travel kit will run you in the neighborhood of $4,000 - $5,000. If you are just looking to widen out your rig a couple inches then going with offset rims or wheel spacers will work (rear only on the spacers). Offset rims (most all aftermarket rims are offset rims) will widen your ATV/UTV by 4 - 6 inches (2 - 3 inches each side). This is enough for most folks. Adding wheel spacers to the rear will also increase width without increasing steering effort. Wheel spacers are running pretty cheap these days (less than $100.00 for a pair). Get the solid kind...STAY AWAY FROM STUD SPACERS!!!! That will help out with not breaking anything. My offset rims on my Rhino increased my width over stock about 6 inches. I am toying around with going with 1.5 inch rear wheel spacers but I am not sure yet.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Post "I have been told the front runs a little wider than the rear"

they do that so on a longer rig will turn in a tighter circle...Chevy Suburban's are one that have 2' wider axels in the front than the rear....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default I won't do spacers again

I put spacer on my Honda Foreman. I got about 3" of overall width. I know it is not a UTV, however I will not use spacers again. I ended up about 3 miles down a very rough trail, 13 miles from my truck. I heard a crack and I stopped to look over the 4 wheeler. I noted my right rear wheel was leaning. Not good! I turned around and babied the 4 wheeler back to the truck.

When I got home, I pulled the broken one. I found that the 2 of the 4 studs on the hub broke. I then pulled the spacers all the way around. The additional torque caused by tires not fitting nicely in existing ruts was too much. Upon removal, all of the nut on the studs were loose. This caused the spacer stud holes to oval out and broke the studs.

While I like the additional width and additional stability that came with it, I greatly increase risk of breaking my equipment. I'd rather have dependable equipment rather than hiking 20 miles back to the truck.