Thread: Ruger Redhawk v. Colt Anaconda

Default Ruger Redhawk v. Colt Anaconda

Fired an Anaconda (in .45 Colt) years ago and really liked it. My purchase for 2010 will be my trail gun. Was thinking a new 4" Redhawk in .44 Magnum, but I'd like to know what people think are the plusses and minuses for each revolver. Maybe a used 4" Anaconda is worth looking for. Thanks in advance!

Thumbs up DA .44MAG --- COLT vs. RUGER

Both are good DA revolvers -

Accuracy is on par if you shoot well with good full-house ammo... off the rock-solid bench rest look for 1.5" at 50yards - both are capable performers.

Fit, finish, comfort will be close... however, the Colt will have everything including the trigger just nicer overall.

Grips can be changed so not worth going into much detail here... Hogue is a better, more comfortable/controllable replacement solution than factory on both guns in terms of hand/knuckle position and soaking up hot loads.

The Colt's rib and irons are nicer than the Red-Ramp Ruger sights... again that can be customized somewhat.

I give the overall strength and robustness tho' to the Ruger. I also give the nod to Ruger on warranty.

Cylinder's open and close more or less in the same way from a little different controls. They will however index/revolve in opposite directions if that makes for any preference.

Ruger has no collector value whatsoever... plenty of new or used ones out there. Repair and parts not hard to come by. The Colt has collector interest (w/ a higher price-tag) and likely will not let you down... just keep in mind an easy, inexpensive fix won't be coming anytime soon.

I've owned both and both have cylinders long enough for heavey bullets. I think the Colt now days will cost you about twice as much but it looks better. I'm sure the Ruger is stronger as far as staying tight longer.I purchased six of them for myself and friends in 94 when the big handgun bullet craze was realy getting going.A year later myself and a couple others sold the Colts(not at a loss) and kept the Rugers which I still shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Both are good DA revolvers -

Accuracy is on par if you shoot well with good full-house ammo... off the rock-solid bench rest look for 1.5" at 50yards - both are capable performers.

Fit, finish, comfort will be close... however, the Colt will have everything including the trigger just nicer overall.

Grips can be changed so not worth going into much detail here... Hogue is a better, more comfortable/controllable replacement solution than factory on both guns in terms of hand/knuckle position and soaking up hot loads.

The Colt's rib and irons are nicer than the Red-Ramp Ruger sights... again that can be customized somewhat.

I give the overall strength and robustness tho' to the Ruger. I also give the nod to Ruger on warranty.

Cylinder's open and close more or less in the same way from a little different controls. They will however index/revolve in opposite directions if that makes for any preference.

Ruger has no collector value whatsoever... plenty of new or used ones out there. Repair and parts not hard to come by. The Colt has collector interest (w/ a higher price-tag) and likely will not let you down... just keep in mind an easy, inexpensive fix won't be coming anytime soon.
    Makes me think Colt, which I think looks like a higher end revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I've owned both and both have cylinders long enough for heavey bullets. I think the Colt now days will cost you about twice as much but it looks better. I'm sure the Ruger is stronger as far as staying tight longer.I purchased six of them for myself and friends in 94 when the big handgun bullet craze was realy getting going.A year later myself and a couple others sold the Colts(not at a loss) and kept the Rugers which I still shoot
    Makes me think Ruger. Sounds more trouble free.

Yes I agree the Colt is much nicer looking IMO.

Thanks guys, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. When the time comes I'll let you know what I end up getting.

Pretty isn't everything!

My old buddy "Butch" bought one of those big Colts at the same time I bought my 4" Redhawk. Now thousands of rounds later through both guns my Redhawk is still tight while his Colt has gotten pretty sloppy.

Cylinder play was about the same on both when new. Now the big Colt is much looser. The ring on the cylinder is much nastier on the Colt than on the Ruger.

My honest opinion would be to buy the Ruger and spend the difference in price on ammo/loading components!

Butch's Colt may have cost nearly twice as much as I paid for the Redhawk way back when, but I wouldn't trade him straight across now!

I went through this last year. IF you can find a 4 inch Anaconda in 45 Colt it will cost you. I did find one a guy had in Anchorage for 900 bucks but I couldn't look at it. He described it to me and it had been shot quite a bit. If you can find one like new they go for 1200+. Well, I bought a new 4 inch Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt for 650 bucks. It shoots 360gr Cast Performance at 1155fps as accurate as I can shoot it. I did replace the Hogue grips with some pachmeyers, they fit my hand better. I also got a hold of some wood Redhawk grips as well which I like also.

Thumbs up Ruger Redhawk v. Colt Anaconda

Had a Colt in 44 magnum, sold it, no regrets, have a redhawk in 45 colt 4 inch, trouble free, and grips are available.
    Need some good reloading data for the colt, as the 360 load mentioned above. do go into bear country, and yes the 375 Ruger is reassuring, yet, the 45 colt is kept by the pillow, just in case.
    As for your question as to what to get? what gun do you really want with you when trouble comes your way? Made my choice with Ruger products.

It boils down to personal taste and technique, but I despise the way the Anaconda handles in double action. The Redhawk is much more controllable. And as others have pointed out, the Redhawk stands up much better to a steady diet of heavy loads, which you'll need to do if you have a hope in hades of shooting it well enough to do the job in anger.

Among the folks I know who were Anaconda freaks, there are two consistent trends. They put a fair number of shot-loose Anacondas on the used gun market. And they're all shooting Redhawks now.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Pretty isn't everything!

My old buddy "Butch" bought one of those big Colts at the same time I bought my 4" Redhawk. Now thousands of rounds later through both guns my Redhawk is still tight while his Colt has gotten pretty sloppy.

Cylinder play was about the same on both when new. Now the big Colt is much looser. The ring on the cylinder is much nastier on the Colt than on the Ruger.

My honest opinion would be to buy the Ruger and spend the difference in price on ammo/loading components!

Butch's Colt may have cost nearly twice as much as I paid for the Redhawk way back when, but I wouldn't trade him straight across now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I went through this last year. IF you can find a 4 inch Anaconda in 45 Colt it will cost you. I did find one a guy had in Anchorage for 900 bucks but I couldn't look at it. He described it to me and it had been shot quite a bit. If you can find one like new they go for 1200+. Well, I bought a new 4 inch Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt for 650 bucks. It shoots 360gr Cast Performance at 1155fps as accurate as I can shoot it. I did replace the Hogue grips with some pachmeyers, they fit my hand better. I also got a hold of some wood Redhawk grips as well which I like also.
    Quote Originally Posted by COUTRO View Post
    Had a Colt in 44 magnum, sold it, no regrets, have a redhawk in 45 colt 4 inch, trouble free, and grips are available.
    Need some good reloading data for the colt, as the 360 load mentioned above. do go into bear country, and yes the 375 Ruger is reassuring, yet, the 45 colt is kept by the pillow, just in case.
    As for your question as to what to get? what gun do you really want with you when trouble comes your way? Made my choice with Ruger products.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It boils down to personal taste and technique, but I despise the way the Anaconda handles in double action. The Redhawk is much more controllable. And as others have pointed out, the Redhawk stands up much better to a steady diet of heavy loads, which you'll need to do if you have a hope in hades of shooting it well enough to do the job in anger.

Among the folks I know who were Anaconda freaks, there are two consistent trends. They put a fair number of shot-loose Anacondas on the used gun market. And they're all shooting Redhawks now.
    Explain to me the difficulty with the Anaconda's double action Brown Bear. Why is the Redhawk much more controllable?

Decision made. I'll go with the Redhawk! Thanks a million guys!

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Explain to me the difficulty with the Anaconda's double action Brown Bear. Why is the Redhawk much more controllable?
    It boils down to preference and training, as well as fit in my hands. I grew up shooting lots of double action including a fair bit of PPC competition. Colts (including Pythons, Troopers and Diamondbacks) just never suited me, yet I did well with the Smiths. Still own the Colts, but they're nearly museum quality I've used them so little over the years.

Transitioning from the Smith action to the Ruger has been pretty straight forward and easy, and I can shoot my Redhawks double action about as well as my Smith 629's. But for my background and hands, the Anaconda simply magnifies all the things that didn't work for me with the smaller colts. It's a personal thing, but real enough. The friends who bought the Anacondas (including the one who bought my barely used 44 from me) were died in the wool and very good Colt shooters. They shot them lots and shot them well, but eventually all have been traded in on the stouter Redhawks. And they shoot them just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It boils down to preference and training, as well as fit in my hands. I grew up shooting lots of double action including a fair bit of PPC competition. Colts (including Pythons, Troopers and Diamondbacks) just never suited me, yet I did well with the Smiths. Still own the Colts, but they're nearly museum quality I've used them so little over the years.

Transitioning from the Smith action to the Ruger has been pretty straight forward and easy, and I can shoot my Redhawks double action about as well as my Smith 629's. But for my background and hands, the Anaconda simply magnifies all the things that didn't work for me with the smaller colts. It's a personal thing, but real enough. The friends who bought the Anacondas (including the one who bought my barely used 44 from me) were died in the wool and very good Colt shooters. They shot them lots and shot them well, but eventually all have been traded in on the stouter Redhawks. And they shoot them just as well.
    At this point I'm not a revolver guy. What are the actual differences. Trigger pull? Grip shape? Balance? Just curious. I recently shot a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel. I liked alot, and was getting the swing of it before going through all of the 50 round box of 158 grainers I was shooting.

The Colts do have a long hammer arc. There are so many add on grip choises out there you can make any handgun fit you

Quote Originally Posted by COUTRO View Post
    ..... have a redhawk in 45 colt 4 inch, trouble free, and grips are available.
    Need some good reloading data for the colt, as the 360 load mentioned above. do go into bear country.....

Here you go. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=45+colt

Thumbs up Ruger Redhawk v. Colt Anaconda

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thank you for the info, have more Ruger guns than any other gun manufacture. They all work and give good groups down range.