Thread: Interarms Astra 44 magnum problem

Default Interarms Astra 44 magnum problem

I've just traded my Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 for blued Interarms Astra 44 Magnum because I'm hunting a bit more then I use to and a 45 caliber pistol just doesn't cut it for bear protection. I've tested the 44 magnum pistol out at the rang and did not notice a problem until I got home.

the Problem is while setting the hammer back, and gently touching (not tapping) the trigger, it would release and engage the hammer. Sometimes when touching the trigger, the hammer would release 1/4 of the way in, then I would have to completely press the trigger in order for the hammer to engage. I'm not sure if these revolvers are made like this for safety issues or if its a trigger problem that needs to be fixed. Also sometimes when I pull the hammer back, it would immediately release/engage by itself.

Any help if fixing the problem or suggestions would be great because the hammer issue is starting to really annoy me and I'm thinking of returning it. Was this a good trade off despite the problem?

Thanks in advance

If you can get your gun back I surely would. These guns were made about 7 years I believe and had many mechanical hickups.

Sounds like its had a home gunsmith trigger job, you can bring it by and we can see if the engagement surfaces can be recut, if not, its a parts gun probably

Thanks for the tips guys. The person who traded me the pistol is suppose to drop by in a bit to give me a case of ammo for the mag so I'll ask if he could fix it, if not then, I guess we'll end up trading back.

By the way WILDALASKA, do you happen to know how much I would be charged if I brought the pistol in to try and get it fixed. I just wanted to know if the fix would outweigh trading back my firearm.

More help will be great though.
    Thanks

If salvageable, you are into it for about $75,,if not about $25...get your PT145 back, sell it to someone and buy a new .44

Default Be rid of it

The Astra revolvers, .38/.357, .44 mag were always second rate, no comparison to Smith or Ruger. If you want a .44 mag for defense while fishing or whatever, something you can depend on, then get your money back if you can. It was more than 7 years ago.

They were made seven years,80 to 87

Default missed the point

Will,

sorry, I missed what you meant. The guns looked good, good finish and all, but they were prone to timing going off, especially in .44 mag. Just don't hold up. Would never use one of the heavy loads in one of them, so they wouldn't be best for defense.

No problem,my fingers often don't do what my mind it telling them to

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I will be getting my PT145 back today.

Just out of curiosity, I took the pistol apart and noticed that someone had chiseled down the lever that connected the trigger to the hammer making it very sensitive. I'm not totally sure if someone had purposely done that or if it was from usage throughout the years. I did remember that the magnum worked fine at the range, but during the last couple of shots, we used Buffalo Bore +P+ rounds which I think may have caused the pistol to do what it is doing now. Bad idea, and don't ever used heavy loads on a cheap pistol.

But foolish of me lol, I now have a slight problem of putting the pistol back together since they are in like 20 pieces. I know where each piece goes, but fitting this one single piece in became a problem. I'm not too worried about this because I tend to be pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back, but it just takes me some time longer. The problem piece is the Bolt inside the frame that connects to the Central Pin of the Cylinder. The whole seems to have shrunk while putting this piece back together then when taking it out. But of course it always does this when I'm taking apart things and putting them back together.

Yes, yes, I know, I shouldn't have taken it apart in the first place, but that's just me. I like to take apart things (cars, guns, computers etc...) troubleshoot the problem and put it back together, though it does give me a slight headache when things don't easily fall in together.

Thanks again for the answers guys.