Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fish in an aquarium?

Default fish in an aquarium?

Does any one know if it is leagal to keep sport caught fish in an aquarium?

i dont beleive it is, what are your plans? i once kept a whitefish in my tank for about 2 months and i kept 2 alaskan blackfish for maybe 4 months, but they dont do that great.

Without a permit from the state, I'm pretty sure that's completely illegal.

Coho Slayer is right. But if you do decide to keep some fish as pets it is absolutely essential that you invest in a chiller unit to keep the water temperature low. Ocean critters like it around 7c and freshwater is more like 4-5c. Wouldnt it be fun to catch some salmon fry and smolt them out? Just dont release what you keep in an enclosed aquarium. Safer for the environment to just flush it.

I was considering building an insulated aquarium with a double glass front and chilling the water with an old refridgerator down into the upper 50's F. From what I have read that should be sufficient.

If it is illegal then it is a mute point. I knew it was illegal to then release them, but I didn't know if any one realy cared what you did with legally caught and retained fish.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    I was considering building an insulated aquarium with a double glass front and chilling the water with an old refridgerator down into the upper 50's F. From what I have read that should be sufficient.

If it is illegal then it is a mute point. I knew it was illegal to then release them, but I didn't know if any one realy cared what you did with legally caught and retained fish.

oh yeah try that with a PIKE!!!

you can get in trouble for having a LIVE one
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lol yea they would probably think it was one of those illegal stocking operations.

aww but fish and game does it! why cant we?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    aww but fish and game does it! why cant we?
    Fish and game has to get a permit too. Go to the Rasberry location and there is a permit number displated on the aquarium that they raise smolt in.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default i'm going out on a limb here....

but i think that if you have fish with no size limit you <might> be legal as long as you did not exceed your limit... so if you had one king smolt, you couldn't fish for kings in any area where the limit was one... but i guess a smolt would be a king <20" , so maybe the limit would be 5....
    i'm probably wrong, though...
    as for blackfish not thriving in captivity... that's a new one on me. they are illegal to transport or possess, but i have heard they do well in a tank.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I knew some people in Bethel that had blackfish in an aquarium for at least 3 years.

That was kind of what I initially thought as well.

you might be able to get a permit
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Get some freshwater sticklebacks. If you do your research on them you'll find that tweeking the water temp. sends them in to breed mode and they'll pair off and build cool egg nests. They won't eat their young either so if you start with two pairs you could have a tank full in a year or so.

Default live fish in your aquarium

Since the fish would be alive, and not in a preserved state, wouldn't they count against your possession limit?

ClearCreek

Smile male and female steelhead

I've got a 12' long "tank" with a spawning male and female steelhead, babbling stream sounds and all. Sure helps the winter months go by easier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When my daughter was in elementary school, they had a field trip to campbell creek with fish and game. They collected eggs and row from spawning silvers. The smolt actually hatched and they started getting pretty big but they didn't survive a real long time. They had a chiller hooked up to the aquarium and the aquarium collected quite a bit of condensation on the glass. So with a permit or maybe as an educator...there is a way to do this. It was a pretty cool project for 5th graders.
    That's what she said...

Yeah, you might be able to get the permit. Not sure what the requirements are, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

There are probably a couple of exceptions, anyway. Herring, for example. You can use them in saltwater as live bait, so how else would you keep them alive??

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Yeah, you might be able to get the permit. Not sure what the requirements are, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

There are probably a couple of exceptions, anyway. Herring, for example. You can use them in saltwater as live bait, so how else would you keep them alive??

Not sure I want to have Herring in my aquarium.
    That's what she said...

Default Look here...

Instead of guessing at regulations, try Googling "alaska live fish permit"....

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/genin.../forms_sci.php

This is off the F&G website regulations.

Possession or marking of live fish or live fish eggs: It is unlawful to possess, transport, and release live fish or live fish eggs or in any way mark any live fish before release, except in accordance with the terms of a permit issued by the Commissioner under 5 AAC 41 or AS 16.05.930(a).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast