Thread: Husqvarna chain saw question

Default Husqvarna chain saw question

Any Husky guru's out there?
    I picked up a used 61 last fall, and it always leaks its bar oil out over time. Any thoughts before i tear it apart? I have heard this can be a "Husky thing" and not to fret.
    Thanks
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have a brand new one that does the same. I park it in a rubbermaid bin to keep the oil from my shed floor

I've heard alot of good things about Huskys but have yet to see any of them for myself....

I never sold a saw that was worth a crap.

I picked up a husky 181 about 10 years back. Yup, it leaks bar oil when stored. But I can tollerate that as the only thing I've had to replace in that time is the starter cord. I'm still using the same spark plug and haven't had to rebuild the carb. I have completely worn out one chain in that time.

Gotta love a saw that had been used hard when I got it, and should last me my lifetime. I did pick up some carb rebuild kits and a spare carb off of e-bay. I just need to get a couple more loops of chain.

Just run the heck out of the saw, don't waste your time tearing it down.

Thanks for the info gents.
    Its a fantastic saw. Tore it apart last winter and cleaned her all up, everything was fine, all seals appeared fine, runs very strong. Just pukes out its bar lube. Like you said, i can live with that. I put a 24" bar on it and it just eats up logs.
    Cheers
    Paul
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

some of the newer ones have an adjustment for the bar oil to increas or decreas the flow... check your is not wide open...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

One thing that MIGHT help is to remove the oil resevoir cap after heavy use until the saw cools down. Pressure buildup from heat might force oil out.

Default stand it up

I had rebuilt and old worn out L 77 back in the early 80's.
    That joker was a serious chip tosser
    It never leaked a drop, of anything.
    About 8 years ago I picked up a little 141, It is a fine saw with the exeption of the bar oil running out.
    I got a steel building and I store it on the purlin with the bar up, sitting on the handle.
    Decided to try this after it oiled up the back of my John deere, I have a peice of 2x4 bolted to the roll over bar and it sits in there with the bar down, holly crap that thing leaks BAD in that position.
    Stand her on her tail and she won't let you down.
    I will say this.
    I also have 6 stihl saws, 018 021 2-025 029 super 046 magnum- dry as dry can be..... I may have to give up on the high speed orange wood monster next time I buy a new one.

None of my Stihls leak, or my Makita.
    I got such a good deal on the 61 though, it was hard to pass up. And it just gobbles the wood.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have a Stihl 031 that doesn't leak a drop, the trim saw, a homelite (FREE from dump) leaks like a siv; as does the Husky saw that my ma owns. So some saws do it, others don't. Had a Poulin trim saw that leaked until the gears stripped and no oil came out when running.

Enjoy the monster, both Stihl and Husky are wood eaters

With the newer models they have oiling adjustment knobs (or screws), make sure that you turn yours down a bit. I have a smaller husky and it doesnt leak at all, its an awesome saw.