Thread: What is Happening on upper Canyon Creek...?

Default What is Happening on upper Canyon Creek...?

I went into the Weibel Mine site yesterday and it looks like a XC-Ski trail system is going in. They are limbing the trees up 12' high. And there is red & white stripe flagging all over the buildings and machinery.

Bump.........

Bump.............

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I went into the Weibel Mine site yesterday and it looks like a XC-Ski trail system is going in. They are limbing the trees up 12' high. And there is red & white stripe flagging all over the buildings and machinery.
    That figures! They'll cheerfully spend tens of thousands on skiers and hikers, but nary a dime for prospectors...

Are you talking about the old Wibel diggings at Mile 53, on the East side of the Seward Highway? I didn't know there were any buildings or machinery still left there. Their old hand-dug ditch for water is still visible from the Seward Highway....a long straight line about one quarter the way up the mountain-side, totally overgrown with alders. At first I thought it was an old wagon road, but no, it's how they got the water for their hydraulic operation some 100+ years ago...

Marshall/Ak

Default Not exactly sure...

...but it could be part of the restoration of the Iditarod National Historic Trail. They have been piecing away at this for years and I think I recall it goes right through that area. It isn't a cross country ski trail, but rather a wilderness trail meant for year-round use.

Here is a link to the website for the work. Looks like the website is slightly out of date, but still gives you an idea of what they are/were doing. http://www.iditarodnationalhistorict...g/Projects.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Bump......still hoping for an answer.

maybe call the forest circus and ask them? strange idea, i know, to ask the landowner what's going on....