Thread: 45 Colt/Old Vaquero

Default 45 Colt/Old Vaquero

Can I work up loads marked Ruger/TC only for an OLD model Vaquero?
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

yes you can. Old model Vaquero ONLY. It has the same (reletive) strength as the blackhawk.

years ago I pushed mine to the limit, and found it to be painful and totaly Un-fun....

for bear protection side arm loads (45 colt) I now load 300 gn semi-hardcast (BN 16-18) over 9.5 gr of unique.. pretty slow to be sure, but recoil is very managable, accuracy is ok, and pennitration is far more than you would expect! And they dont put my little finger to sleap after the first shot!!!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I should probably mention that there are many powders better suited for full house 45 colt loads than Unique... I use it because I happen to have enough of it on hand to blow up the world a couple times over and because it is economical in the extreeme!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    Can I work up loads marked Ruger/TC only for an OLD model Vaquero?
    ** actually the old model vaquero and "new vaquero" are proofed with the same loads.

this great revolver has been tested on big game and with "heavy loads" for years. it's reliability is unquestioned.

HOWEVER, it's always wise to start with a moderate load and work up, using the same components through-out the test (change in brass or promers for example, can spike pressures).

in my experience, loads on the high side of maximum seem to be more accurate, but with the proper bullet, game never seems to notice the difference.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    yes you can. Old model Vaquero ONLY. It has the same (reletive) strength as the blackhawk.

years ago I pushed mine to the limit, and found it to be painful and totaly Un-fun....

for bear protection side arm loads (45 colt) I now load 300 gn semi-hardcast (BN 16-18) over 9.5 gr of unique.. pretty slow to be sure, but recoil is very managable, accuracy is ok, and pennitration is far more than you would expect! And they dont put my little finger to sleap after the first shot!!!
    Some time ago you posted about converting your Vaquero to a bird's head grip. Did you use a Ruger part, or was this an aftermarket grip frame.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton