Thread: How long in the pressure cooker when jarring/canning salmon?

Default How long in the pressure cooker when jarring/canning salmon?

Got a bunch of jars in the pressure cooker now. How long do I need to leave them in? Also, the lids are supposed to just be barely finger tight right?

I am going from memory, but I am pretty sure it is 100 minutes at 10lbs pressure. Yes, the rings should be just fingertip tight, and the lids should be boiled so that the seals are soft before they are put on the jars.

Tighten them after they cool a bit and check that the lid is indented in to make sure the seal is good. We usually have one that does not seal and this goes in the fridge for eating right away.

Oh yea, and the 100 minutes does not start until you reach the 10lbs.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This is great for first timers or just looking to refresh.

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/preservingala...y/canningfish/

Smile semperfi

Did you smoke this batch or are you doing it plain? Remember, if you smoke it, only do about 3 pans of wood chips. It will get the smoke flavor but will also cook in the pressure cooker. It will also garauntee that your fish won't be dry. Too long a smoke and then jarring will dry and toughen your fish.
    Try olive oil and a half jalapena in each jar. People often offer to buy jarred fish from me. try it and you won't regret it. I also do mine for 110 minutes on the pr/cooker. good luck

Check the pantry Forum. There are lots of thread discussing it. I seem to recall 110 minutes at 10 pounds.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Got it. Thanks guys. I am jarring the smoked salmon that cooked too long. Most of the jars I put jalapenos in. I covered it to the top with olive oil in the hopes that it adds a bit of moisture. Trying to save a batch. Hopefully it works and doesn't make it worse.

Red face semperfi

Only need a tablespoon or two of olive oil. But if you fish is totally dried out, filling up to the top might work. Just leave room for expansion and other moisture leeching out of the meat. Hope it works. PM me on the results, Ken

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

to answer the question

fish...

10 lbs for 110 minutes (starting from the time it reaches 10lb)

i currently have 2 canners going with meat of moose
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well first batch came out. All of them sealed. Should have a little room for expansion. I had an oily mess waiting for me. There is some juices (separated) at the bottom of the cans. I am assuming that this is from the peppers and normal?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
    Well first batch came out. All of them sealed. Should have a little room for expansion. I had an oily mess waiting for me. There is some juices (separated) at the bottom of the cans. I am assuming that this is from the peppers and normal?

Yeah and what ever moisture left in the salmon... will run to the bottom.. as the olive oil is usually lighter then the fish oils...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Talking semperfi

If you have a quarter jar of juices, you are about spot on. Fish oil and olive oil will seperate but moisture in the jar and you can't go wrong. You just scared me when you said you filled the jars full w/olive oil. Olive oil adds but does not take the place of natural fish oil. That is why you only smoke @ 3 pans full. Don't want to dry out the fish.
    Smoking and canning and smoking and freezing are two differant animals. Canning continues the cooking process, freezing does not. I have a few brine recipes if you want to branch out. Ken

Yeah I figured extra light olive oil was a good choice considering. I sure hope this helps it rather than hurts it. Taste wise, it wasn't bad, just really dry. Either way, I am taking some home to my folks next week. They won't know the difference either way.