Thread: Ft Rich Bow Hunters

Default Ft Rich Bow Hunters

Well the good news is I finially have seen the Big Bulls makin' their way down Eagle River Valley. As a matter of fact some lucky hunter is going to have a chance at a Bull that is ~60" plus with 8 brow tines. I am guessing body weight over 1700 pounds. If the weather holds or gets cooler it will keep them moving.

I am hoping to see him tomorrow so I can get a picture to post up. The things you see while driving a School Bus.

For anyone hiking/hunting out Eagle River Valley way. I have seen at least 1 bear (Browns mostly) every time I drive out there especially morning time.

8 browtines and 60"+????? sounds freaking huge!!!! what was he, 4X4????

Default bus route

sounds like a monster....what exactly is your bus route...are you on post picking up the kids
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    sounds like a monster....what exactly is your bus route...are you on post picking up the kids

I run to the Nature Center, Eagle River Road, everyday, twice a day. I watch the moose work their way down the valley every year. I use to work on the bases and am very familiar with the area the moose travel down from the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    8 browtines and 60"+????? sounds freaking huge!!!! what was he, 4X4????

He has 8 brows on one side. A beautiful brow paddle with what looks almost like a sunburst of points coming out. This is not unusual. I watched 2 bulls in the mid to upper 50's come down the valley last year. Happen to spot one crossing the highway onto Ft. Rich and I believe it was taken by a forum member here. As it was taken within a day of me watching him cross. Not far from where I seen him cross. I believe the 2nd one got wiped out in traffic. Couldn't make a positive ID on that one. Just knew it was a large bull that had got hit by pickup at the same crossing point some days later.

I am carrying my camera everyday now, so I am hoping to get a picture here soon before he makes it into the zone.

Good Luck to all.....let me know if you guys hear about a big one getting dropped or see if you can get a pic to post up.

If you every get a chance to visit the Elmendorf Wildlife museum they have got some awesome drops, pictures and mounts that were taken on Base. Say hi to Mark for me. He knows my handle from here.......

Default one bull i know has been taken

a 43 incher by a muzzleloader hunter...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Seen a total of 7 bulls working the way down the Valley. Most disappeared below mile 7.4 parking area as of Wednesaday. So this weekend and beyond should start hearing about some decent takes on the post.

I believe 3 have been taken on Elmendorf. I saw one of them, a spike/fork, and heard the others were also small. one of my subordinates is a conservation officer on base that keeps me in the loop. I give him time off work to do conservation stuff, he gives me the hot spots. Works out great for both of us.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default A total of 5 have been taken so far on elmo

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    I believe 3 have been taken on Elmendorf. I saw one of them, a spike/fork, and heard the others were also small. one of my subordinates is a conservation officer on base that keeps me in the loop. I give him time off work to do conservation stuff, he gives me the hot spots. Works out great for both of us.

I wonder who that guy is?

I spotted the big bull two days ago and the bad news is he is not close to Rich yet. He was with 4 cows above the mile 7.4 parking area. He was spotted down around the PM Gardens area about a week ago and it seems he moved back up the Valley again. The smaller bulls (1 of those was over 50") seem to have moved on. No sightings in 2 weeks on those.

My bear sightings have dropped off. Did see a wolf last week over by Powder Ridge......

Good luck, Fort Rich Bowhunters, this may be the weekend!

Had the cow permit last year, and if I recall correctly the bulls started walking into arrows on the 27th.

Well all you bull hunter need to check the 40ish inch bull hanging out at the front gate!!! lol saw him bedded down north of gate and had cow with him Good luck to all ya'll

Well guys the Bulls are moving hard today. I seen 7 Bulls today. Two about 40" were south of Powder Ridge housing development. Caught one crossing this morning on to Ft Rich in ER. The others are still working their way down the Valley.

This is the most Bulls I have seen ever in one day out here. Actually my moose sightings are quite a bit higher this year.

Good Luck!!!!