Thread: Cataraft (1-man) from Skilak to Bing's

Default Cataraft (1-man) from Skilak to Bing's

I was just wondering if this is safe to do in a one man cataraft. I realize there will be a mile or so of rowing before reaching the river, but sometimes that's the price you pay for good fishing.

Default Just watch for power boats.

It's actually a very enjoyable and easy float, but you need to watch-out for power boats, particularly in the lower section.

should be fine. just be very careful on Skilak, the weather there can turn pretty quick. It can get pretty nasy out there!

Default I have done it

in a 2 man cat.....long long turn on the oars. Stop and fish the dunes just at the mouth of the middle kenai before you pass it....that is a great hold up spot for fish.
    The middle itself is pretty flat, and as everyone has already said, watch out for the motors. They are pretty good at watching out for you as well. Didn't have a single motor boat come close enough to jump me around with a wake.
    Enjoyable float.

Thank you for the responses. Is the middle Kenai deep enough to run with a prop? I have a 16 foot SmokerCraft with a 50 hp Honda on it.

Default Yes, but...

Yes, it is definitely navigable with a power boat, but it will start getting skinny from here-on-out. I have more experience on it with a 16ft jon boat than with a raft, but I prefer the raft. If you motor it, watch for gravel bars, and rafters