Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmiths in Fairbanks

Default Gunsmiths in Fairbanks

Im looking to get a peep sight put on my rifle and was wondering if anyone could give me info on a reliable gunsmith in the Fairbanks area. Thanks

Arctic Gun Works is one of the few shops that still has a gun smith. He is located behind the new Safeway at Airport & University in a small log cabin.

Call Doug Albright,formerly of Down Under Guns @ 687-8500

Gary a gunsmith???
    IF you were to have Gary Junk install a front sight,mention to him that the threaded holes need not go down into the bore!!!!!

+1 for Doug Albright, had an ejection problem with the wife's Remington 700. Gave Doug a call, he said bring it over. When I got there he said that he had seen a similar issue with another 700, the ejector spring looked cut and was shorter than the replacement. He installed the new spring and it is spitting them out like it should. Great guy and work.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    Arctic Gun Works is one of the few shops that still has a gun smith. He is located behind the new Safeway at Airport & University in a small log cabin.

Good work, but very unfriendly.

Arctic Gun Works is a joke. I don't understand how that guy is still in business. Call Doug instead.

Jeremiah

yep....Doug gets my approval too,,,,,Gary still has not centerd the rear NECG masterpc. rear on my Sako L61R , twice over mind you....shameful. Doug has done sights for me on other rifles and has done commendable work, great thing about him is if he can't do it he will let you know.

Gary tried to pass off a shotty recoil pad installation, meaning he ground off too much material in a spot that exposed the brass backing plate that you're not supposed to see. He got pi$$ed when I wasn't satisfied and asked to install a new pad. I mean really pissed. Yup, he threw a tantrum right there in his shop.

C-mon man, it's a recoil pad. What gunsmith screws up a recoil pad? It's alright to screw one up, but don't try to pass off screwy work to your customer as it's in a "perfectly fine" status. Just admit the mistake, say a couple of choice words under your breath, and pull another pad out of the drawer and try again before the customer comes back to pick up his rifle. It's not a difficult concept.

Anyone who has ground a bunch of pads has cut into one that way, but you're right, the correct thing to do is grab a new pad and start over before the customer gets it, and chalk it up to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post

Gary a gunsmith???
    IF you were to have Gary Junk install a front sight,mention to him that the threaded holes need not go down into the bore!!!!!
    + 1 million on going to doug. Dont get me wrong, ill occasionally pick up some .451 cast from gary but i wont let him work on my guns.

Doug is just a good guy and does great work. I talk to him about every week or so and always has something interesting/new going on. Cant say enough good things.

Went to Gary and asked to have my 30-06 reamed to AI. Gary laughed and said "Why?" My reply, "Because I want it reamed to AI for the improved performance". His statement, "You won't get that much improvement, I'm not going to do it". I left thinking if the guy does not want to do it, why argue and have him screw it up.

I took the gun home, rented the reamer and did it myself at home. Not a big deal. The only reason I went to Gary in the first place was the "Guns Down Under" had closed and Doug was waiting for his FFL.

Wife had a problem with one of her 357s, Cylinder would not advance. I had lost some parts to one of my Blackhawks. Took them to Doug yesterday. 5 minutes he had the 357 working properly, another 5 minutes he had replaced the parts on the Ruger (what surprised me was the had the parts on hand). Doug also inspected another pistol I had purchased for proper operation and serviceability. 15 minutes and I was on my way, one happy customer. Doug is the only gunsmith in the Fairbanks area I trust, and will let do any work for me anymore. I've been burned by too many others.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I took an H&K USP Compact to Gary in March to replace the bobbed hammer with a spurred hammer. When he called me to tell me it was finished, he left a message saying "You need to call me back immediately because this thing is taking up room on my workbench."

He's a world class *****.

Doug is a great guy. I had him do something super minor, (find me a screw for a front sight). He showed me how to take apart and reassemble my new to me M1 garand. Inspected it and lubed it up. No extra charge. I bought a few things, but that was very nice of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post

Gary a gunsmith???

Listen to what Dan has to tell you. Take his word for what he has to say. Dan of Dan's 40X is a leader in his speciality al over the U.S. No man in Fairbanks that I know of would I trust more than Dan.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    I took an H&K USP Compact to Gary in March to replace the bobbed hammer with a spurred hammer. When he called me to tell me it was finished, he left a message saying "You need to call me back immediately because this thing is taking up room on my workbench."

He's a world class *****.
    +1 on this comment. I did not have a good experience either, PM me if you wish.

Gentlemen. Could we refrain from bashing any particular smithie.

I have used four gunsmiths in the Fairbanks area and I can and will always recommend Doug, AKA Gunbugs.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I too cast a vote for Doug. I dropped my rifle off this afternoon and he had it ready by five. I couldn't be happier. Why would you go anywhere else...good rates, timely and professional.

Richie

I bought a Springfield Armory GI 1911 new in the box. Took it out, fired it, and it would not cycle properly. I took it to a gunsmith in Fairbanks without knowing a thing about 1911's or pistols in general. Told him the problem and he said no problem he could handle it.

I paid 68 dollars for my education on gunsmiths. I took that thing right out to the range and had the exact same problem I was having before.

I started some internet research and found out 1911's come standard with a 16 pound spring. I looked on Midway and ordered a $10, 18 pound spring and the gun cycles perfectly now.

The moral of the story is, always try to get the word on the street about the guy you let work on your guns.

Is there anyone in the Fairbanks area who can port a barrel or attach a muzzlebreak????

Check the KDF website as they list the installation centers for their brakes. There should be one "nearby". Or give a call to 687-8500 for more info.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast