Thread: Kenai float, after Jims

Default Kenai float, after Jims

How diffucult/ rough is the float in a cataraft if you continue down past Jims? Compare it to the float from Sportsmans to jims if you could.
    Thanks

Default Not too bad.

It's not too bad if you're comfortable on the oars. There are several areas where you definitely need to be paying attention, but if you can handle the princess rapids and schooner bend above sportsman's, you should be fine. The difference in the canyon is that the faster water lasts for quite a distance with some big rocks barely submerged that could suck you-in and roll you below them if you hit them wrong. The worst part about the canyon for me is the hour boat ride at 3 mph to get to the boat launch. I think I would classify the fishing above Jim's as better, overall, but the canyon is beautiful and there are certainly some good fish down there. If you go, go early as the guides like to hustle down and get to the best bars at the bottom and hold them for the rest of the day.

the worst part is getting accross skilak
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Time

How long would it take with a little electric trolling motor?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    How long would it take with a little electric trolling motor?
    about 4 hrs, and you might have to row some of the last part
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Default I don't think I'd try it.

Sounds like trouthead has some experience with this, so he should know better than me, but I know that even with a 6 hp I'm just barely putting-along and even small waves make me pay attention. If you're going to try the trolling motor, I would definitely not push it if the lake is anything but flat and I would stay very close to shore the whole time. You should know in advance too that if the lake is choppy, it can get worse in a matter of minutes, and for much of the middle section of the trip, there are steep rock walls that don't offer any easy way to get off the lake. There are also many coves that do offer protection and places to pull-out, so just keep your eyes open and always be thinking ahead. I like to bring a couple of sleeping bags in a dry bag, a little extra food in the cooler and a tarp, just in case the wind picks-up and I get stuck overnight. (It hasn't happened to me yet, but I know a few that have spent a cold and miserable night because they weren't prepared.)