Thread: Mushrooms...I'm sure I'm no the first...

Default Mushrooms...I'm sure I'm no the first...

I've got a lot of mushrooms growing in the yard. Landlady says some are edible, but she's not in town to show me. I've also seen an older couple collecting along the Chester Creek Trail. Very curious to find some tasty edible wild mushrooms without dying. Any guidance/resources would be helpful. Probably need someone to go with me. Could give you some fish for the lessons.

Anyone up to help?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by new2town View Post
    I've got a lot of mushrooms growing in the yard. Landlady says some are edible, but she's not in town to show me. I've also seen an older couple collecting along the Chester Creek Trail. Very curious to find some tasty edible wild mushrooms without dying. Any guidance/resources would be helpful. Probably need someone to go with me. Could give you some fish for the lessons.

Anyone up to help?

me also... New2 town if you get one that makes you die.. .please take photos of it and let us know to avoid it...

thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

dont eat the colorful brite pretty ones and youll be fine
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up

shagy manes are all over.. yum! i been eating them for a month! do a yahoo for a pic ...the rest in the yard should stay there....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by new2town View Post

Anyone up to help?
    Go to Barnes and Noble (or online if you're not where they have a store) and look at the books in their Alaska section. They have one on Alaska mushrooms that's excellent. It's called Alaska's Mushrooms: A Practical Guide by Harriette Parker. I think she's from down on the Kenai somewhere (sorry if I got that part wrong, Ms. Parker!).

It's getting late for mushrooms, but there are plenty out in the woods right now. I only pick shaggy manes and puffballs (before they spore out) if I'm not sure about identifying a mushroom. Morels should show up next summer in the areas where we had wildfires this year. Other than that, I'd rely on the book and never eat a mushroom I wasn't sure about.

Most of us have Bolettes growing in our yards and gardens. Baby Bolettes are called Porcini in Italian and go for about $60 a pound dried.

They look like seedless hamburger buns with dirty white stems and the underside resembles a sponge with tiny holes instead of the typical ribs.

The underside will be white to yellowish. Older Bolettes will probably have tiny maggots in them but make no difference once saute'd.

Slice them 1/4 inch thick and saute in butter & garlic. Yum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

When in doubt, ask an expert. In this case, The Mushroom Expert.

Particularly, go to this page, where photos of mushrooms commonly found growing in people's yards are found: What Is This Thing in My Yard (Garden, House)?

Cool site, with a decent dichotomous key for identifying mushrooms and a good search feature.