Thread: Problem with my new 07 660 grizzly!!

Default Problem with my new 07 660 grizzly!!

I only have 22 miles on my new 07 660 grizzly. I think my plugs may be fouled. I had it out on the lake the other day and it started to run like****. It was back fireing we I gave it gas. It wanted to die if I tried to go. It Ran fine at idle just couldn't get going.

Anyone have any ideas?

Would using the choke to start it foul the plugs?

Default Ice

Sounds like an iced up carb/injector or a water in the fuel problem. Pour some Iso-heat (the red can) in the tank and put it in a warm place for a few hours and take it out and see what it does............

Default 660 grizz

OK thanks. I dropped it off at yamaha and toild them to look at it. Man I tell you if its something bad I'm going be pissed. I'll keep that in mind if it still has problems or starts to again in the future.

Is it bad on the machine to leave it in the cold all the time? I didn't think it would hurt it but man 22 miles and already a problem!

Default Cold

The worst is back and forth between warm and cold. You can end up with condensation/water in the fuel. On a carb machine the idle circuit will run fine but pilot curcuit and the mains will suck the water from the bottom of the float bowl or better yet freeze up. This makes the machine idle fine but bog and want to die when you go. You can get water from anywhere. Who knows what the dealer did with it, left it outside in the rain with the gas cap off or something. Water can be hard to get rid of. It will sit in the bottom of tank and not drain off depending on the design of the tank. Snow machines can be bad for this. If there is enough water you can turn the lights out and shine a flashlight into the tank through the fill hole and see it in the bottom of the tank. I small peice of vynil tube and a stick and you can suck it out. Make sure the vynil tube is long enough that you don't get a snort of unleaded.....that will ruin your day.

Default Careful

After sacrificing some yard toys of the kids to siphoning gas from a U-Haul to the pickup this summer on the ALCAN, I second a ďa snort of unleaded.....that will ruin your day Ē.

I know how you feel but don't get too bummed. Myself and two other guys I know have 660's and they are a great machine. Probably something simple having to do with the carb and weather like these other guys said. Hang in there. Here's a small sampling of what your griz can do. This is me on my 02 660.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Its probably even simpler than that. With only 22 miles on it I doubt it would be water. Could be, but unlikely. I had some small plastic shavings from the assembly of the gas tank get in my carb on a brand new wolverine back in 02. Took it back to the dealer after less than a week riding it and they cleaned the carb and installed an inline fuel filter and it cured the problems. I changed the filter out every 2 months or so until I quit noticing the little green shavings in it and it has been fine ever since. Did pretty much just what you say yours is doing and I was ticked! Hopefully yours is that simple too! I had been thinking about the grizzly as well, but I got a smokin deal on an arctic cat 500 TRV right before I moved up here, so it will be a while.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I am guessing you have water or debry in your fuel system, but I would suspect either of those nasty trip spoilers will be in your carb. Primarily the float or jets. There is a possibility that your choke might have frozen open.

Let us know I am interested to see how close I am.

How's the Griz doin?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Yamaha 660

It did it again the other day, but this time letting it idle for about 20 min while I fished did the trick. It ran great after that. I put some heet in it 2 days ago and will be running it this weekend. Thanks for all the replies.

Thumbs up Reserve

I run mine on reserve all the time, that gets rid of water in the tank.

Snyd

Why be so hard on that ATV?

ABM
    Alaska

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    I run mine on reserve all the time, that gets rid of water in the tank.

Snyd

Why be so hard on that ATV?

ABM
    I'm really not that hard on it. In this pic I'm just doing a slow water wheelie. I only do it now and then. It's nice to know what your rig can do if you need it too. I have the rear tranny vent rerouted to the front so no water gets in the belt housing. If you ever find yourself having to do a water crossing and all the sudden it gets deep you can hit the gas, bring the front end up, the rear tires stay on the bottom giving you traction and away you go. It beats the alternative of the "float and roll" It pretty fun too! What's hard on it is pulling a meat wagon full of moose through 2 feet of mud!

I would just like to add a comment here. I can not think of any time when we are doing a group ride with ATV's or snowmobiles that someone in the group didnt have engine problems that were corrected by adding Heet to the fuel system.
    If you ride either an ATV or snowmobile carrying a red container of heet will save the day more often than you can believe. Slip a can of it in the sled or ATV now.
    Tennessee

Default Ran it today

It started fine and ran great. I don't know if it was the heet but i will always carry it now. Man this machine has power. Thanks for the insite guys.

Default well whoop dee doo!!

good fer you!

Default Hey JMH wwe need to fish!!!

Hey man lets go fishing next sunday or sat. or when ever I'll drive.

let me check the dossier, ill pencil you in. where you thinkin? out to the valley? hehe, you should weld a ring on the end of that bar at the shop. my auger kinda sucks.

Default why be so hard?

well hey this was an accident...i felt bad for my king quad
    Attached Images Attached Images