Thread: Any last words of advice?

Default Any last words of advice?

Hello all,

I heading out in a few days and figured this may be my last chance to post until I return.

My father in law and I are embarking on what may be the greatest adventure either of us ha ever had. We will be floating 80-100 miles of the Iditarod river in search of the mighty Alaskan Yukon Moose (and a few other critters we just happened to have tags for) . We are scheduled for 10 days on the river and then its back here to Kodiak for another 10days (hopefully it wont take that long) goat hunting. Before you say it I already know...... we are defiantly setting our selves up for an "I'll never do that again moment". I have spent the better part of a year planning for this epic season we have ahead of us and the time has finally come, only one problem..... Iím scared S**TLESS. I cant sleep because all I can think about is "WHAT AM I FORGETTING!!!"

Anyways,
    Iím looking for any "last words of advise" things that are commonly left behind or items that you may have forgotten on one of your trips so I donít make that same mistake.

Thanks a lot, and with any luck I will have a few pic's of my own to add to the 2009 hunting photos thread

If you've been planning this for a year, I'd bet that you have everything you need. Yeah, there might be one or two things you'll realize later on that would have been nice to have, but I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're still concerned, read through Michael Strahan's float hunting book. He provides a pretty thorough packing list that should cover the essentials.

My bit of advice is to take lots of pictures. LOTS and LOTS of pictures. Most hunters will pull out the camera once the animal is on the ground, but I really enjoy looking through pictures of the entire experience when I get home and throughout the years, from packing the plane to cleaning the meat back at home. Document your story....and relax and enjoy the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ducks n' dogs View Post
    Hello all,
    I have spent the better part of a year planning for this epic season we have ahead of us and the time has finally come, only one problem..... Iím scared S**TLESS. I cant sleep because all I can think about is "WHAT AM I FORGETTING!!!"

Anyways,
    Iím looking for any "last words of advise" things that are commonly left behind or items that you may have forgotten on one of your trips so I donít make that same mistake.
    Don't forget the toilet paper.... And good luck! You are lucky to have a father-in-law you can stand 20 days with (I'm also blessed that way)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default don't forget the...

How about your toothbrush and your belt. I always seem to forget them!!! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Don't forget the toilet paper.... And good luck! You are lucky to have a father-in-law you can stand 20 days with (I'm also blessed that way)
    Forget the toilet paper...get the small Baby Wipes packages as they fit in a pocket, are water proof, and do 1000% better job where you need it
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Seems to me that 80-100 miles of river is an awful lot of river to float hunt in 10 days. Am I missing something here?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Good stuff, keep it coming....

Brian M,

I have lived by that book! Probably read it through a dozen times. Mike is actually helping to plan the float hunt portion of our trip and has been a huge help, (That guy is a wealth of knowledge). As far as documenting the hunt I purchased two small digital camcorders (1 for me and 1 for pops) that way we will get plenty of good footage and from two different angles. We will also have point and shoot digital cameras. I canít wait to get out of here but looks like I will be socked in with weather for a few days (ops. normal for Kodiak).

Thewhop

I made sure to pack plenty of wipes and TP but now that you mention it.....I donít think I packed a belt.

Time to re-re-re-re-recheck the list

It is a bit of ground (ok water) to cover in 10 days but we have narrowed it down to about 4 solid areas to hunt. Our plan is to float/camp/hike and glass these four areas then motor down to the next stretch of what appears to be good habitat on our maps and repeat.

The hardcore float hunters will have something to say about our use of a small outboard on a "float" trip but it was the best way for us to meet our goals.

Cool. Sounds like you have your bases covered. I did a float hunt in the Brooks several years ago and we had rib eye steaks and ice cream on day 9. Dry ice is awesome...hint, hint.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Dry Ice..... Nice

Awesome

Can you fly with dry ice? (Alaska air)

Default Best Advice

I've done several floats and here is my BEST advice - HAVE FUN - enjoy the entire trip - even the tough parts - and follow Brian's suggestion - LOTS & LOTS of pictures.
    Last edited by Phil; 09-10-2009 at 16:20. Reason: poor typing skills

great advice - you'll enjoy the pictures for years. have fun!

Default Dry Ice

As long as you let them know you have it and it is less than 5 pounds in weight

I know you said you have 10 days here and 10 days in Kodiak. Just don't let time constraints rule the trip. Its the reason I always take at least a couple extra days on the back end of every hunt to make sure you get back safe and on time.
    The picture thing is key. Not only from a good digital camera, but keep a waterproof disposable handy at all times. The quality isn't as good but you will catch photos you won't when digging out the camera that can't get wet. Have a great trip.

Thumbs up

Sounds like your ready now go and have a great hunting trip

Thumbs up Baby Wipes!

I second Baby Wipes. You do not want to risk an irritation because of poor hygene. Plus, they smell really good.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

relax and have fun... my feelings are that if i forgot it... i really didn't need it.

make sure you have the correct ammo for your rifle on the last check more then a few friends have show up with 300WM for the 338
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds like a fantastic trip and I can't wait to see the pictures and report.

Things to remember............Tumms.