Thread: Haul road adventure 2009 :-( - long

Default Haul road adventure 2009 :-( - long

LONG AND MOST ABOUT BOAT WOES IF NOT INTERESTED SKIP DOWN TO RED WED AM ABOUT 3/4 WAY DOWN???
    Well home from my Haul road trip some info already posted
    Was suppose to leave to head north on 20 Aug. running behind as frequently happens getting ready for these expeditions. Called my hunting partner to explain it would not happen until next day. Found out he could not go.

I left alone about 1 pm following day. Made it to just past Healy about mid night slept till 5am and headed out pulled into mile 50 boat launch at midnight, whoopped!
    Launched boat, forgot plugs realized right away , crap! Put them in and got bilge pump on. Oops.
    Water level was not bad. River course had changed a lot though and very shallow area to get into main channel. had to slide across 8-10 feet of small rocks. I then ran up sag and located roger45 and his hunting partner. Hunted up river from their camp, 7 seven cows and headed back to my nice old man camp at launch.
    Day 2 headed to roger45’s camp and hunted close to them left early and went up Ivashak to explore. Saw small jet boat on way up on return there was guy carrying meat out. Went to say hi. And offered to haul one of the 3 guys out to launch, they gladly accepted and asked to follow me back as they were unsure of best route.
    At above mentioned shallow spot I slide across gravel and stopped to try and deepen channel to make trip easier. After that was complete headed out…boat would not get on-step.
    Tried 2-3 times. Pulled boat with other guys help no visible problem relaunched still no help. Told other guys to head back as I would look further and they hung around to assist me getting boat out of water and blocked up so I could look further. Remove first two sections of jet unit and the impeller, no obvious problem reassembled jet unit and gave it a try. Push longer and got on step just at last moment before Water got very shallow.
    Day 3-pulled boat major task with no help and low water.
    Disassembled jet unit, filed front edge of new impeller Minor wear relaunched boat improved slightly but still very hard to get on step went to Deadhorse and made calls to get ideas and maybe have parts gold streaked and to put hold on my son coming up when he returned from his horseback sheep hunt. no reason for him to come up if boat is not working.
    Seems I’m missing day in this chronicle around this point is when Jerod shows up with his very nice grizzly he had just arrowed his 3rd griz/brn bear in 3 years WOW

Day 4- boat got on to step very sluggishly. Went and hunted for day with roger45 on way back to my camper took wrong side of gravel bar slide 15-20 yards across cleared stomp grate and boat would not get on step again, limped to access road to PS2 and walked to Dalton thumbed it to camp, thanx to guys from OR for the ride. I thought it was 3-4 miles….it is 8.
    Day 5-Friday- OR guys gave me ride back to PS2 got boat partially out of the water blocked up and again very time consuming job solo.

Disassembled and filed again. Noticed outer slat of stomp grate was hanging down ?1/2 inch. Pushed back in place. Saw that front of grate was hang down loose but it did not register as an issue????? Roger45 and Rudy came by in airboat and assisted, relaunched boat. Still would not get on step! Limped back toward camp all went well until I got to beginning of side channel to get to boat launch. First shallow area well over an hour to get boat thru it. First part of what I call the s curve- minor heave ho and thru then second portion 30-45 minutes as I recall it was 6 pm ish maybe later decided this old fat man was wore out. Pulled and while blocked boat again to re look in AM. Was amazed when phantom or that type of boat went by with 5 guys and did not even slow to see if I might need a hand. just pointed , videoed and joked about my situation. 1.6 miles back to camp. Jerod was there waiting. We had couple hours daylight so when for road hunt. Saw 3 bulls heading toward road and set ambush they decided on different path.
    Day 6- Jerod was there to hunt with on Saturday well we dealt with the boat went to it and discussed stomp grate issue tried to repair not possible on the spot. Got boat back in water and still would not get on step. motored and muscled it to launch really only one bad spot with the two of us. Pulled boat decided what we needed to repair stomp grate ( the 2 bolts that secure it to the housing were gone) and headed to Deadhorse NAPA store my ill mood was better as this had to be the reason for problem. Called home lifted no go for son’s coming up 2-3 days later. Got parts and headed to boat installed them and was NOT the cause. NO HELP. Jerod headed back to Deadhorse and would contact family again , put son on hold and have daughter gold streak old hosing impeller. Got part Monday noon and went back to install …YEA IT WOULD GET ON STEP but not as well as it had during spring bear hunting before sleeved housing and Solas impeller were installed for this hunt.
    Drove 35 miles toward Deadhorse and made phone calls. Contacted son who was coming now but got him in contact with ChrisO and he got housing and different impeller off ChrisO’s boat.
    Early next PM (Tues) I headed back to mile 50. took guy from PA up Ivashak to see if he could catch an Arctic Char ( he got two) the boat his party had was not able to get up river. we also got a number of 18-20 inch Grayling.
    Wed AM 2ND SEPT- when I got up my son and friend had arrived (0530) and were sleeping in their truck cab. to this point I have not made a stalk ( except ptarmigan)and it has been 10 days
    Took son for test run with old impellor pulled boat and installed housing and impellor from ChrisO. Much better , the way it is suppose to perform
    That evening my son and I played cat and mouse with a small bull. i shot this small 8 point , 18 month old bull

we got back very late 1030ish kind of dark only one oops coming back in dark .....15-20 feet across gravel bar and 18 inch drop/ jump luckily water on other side never missed a beat.

went up Ivashak ?25-30 miles no caribou except 2 at distance on eccooka
    just not many animals saw more moose than bou on that trip

we moved to ice cut, exciting running rapids too foggy and only ran 1/2 hr up.

7th packed up, son and other guy to head home and i was going to slowly work my way down to Coldfoot to moose hunt....but go home at 3:30 AM the 9th
    vehicle my son was in rolled 2-3 times just over south side of Toolik "pass" vehicle totaled i'm sure. drivers chest tender and my son's right shoulder and upper arm srewed up, shoulder widith is 2-3 inches shorter. also some bACK AND NECK SORENESS lucky they were not killed

day we left ice cut (7th) less than 2 miles down road 11 bulls 8-9 nice ones 3 of those were very nice
    i missed a shot. at one of the really nice ones looked to be 20 out , ranged 29....still looked 20 re ranged 29 used 30 yard pin......went over its back

always fun trips to slope. This one was frustrating with the boat issues and no partner for first 10 days. Great time with my son and our friend (younger guy not bowhunter) scary with the accident.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

few more pictures
    Ptarmigan i shot with my Black Widow

fog in lower valley and moon just north of top of Atigun Pass

abandoned airboat on Ivashak just up from high bluff near guides camp.
    recovered next day
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Cool

Wow. That's quite an adventure. So are you going back up for moose or calling it good for the year?

Taylor

-[]------->

Man, I knew most of what happened, but I ended up staring at the picture of the truck for a few minutes in disbelief. I sure hope those guys don't end up with some permanent injuries from that wreck. By the looks of the truck, they really took a hit. Just glad they walked away and made it back home to their families.

Sorry you had to cut your 4 week hunt short, and hopefully you'll have some good days chasing deer and bear down that way. I enjoyed seeing you again and being able to lend a hand.

Default Next trip

As long as everyone made it back to their families there is always next trip. The pictures and time spent in the outdoors with friends will last far longer than a caribou in the freezer ( it just won't taste quite as good).
    Sorry about your misfortune wish you luck on future hunts.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

thanx guys, just got back from moose hunt see post here.
    truck frame was bent from what i heard
    son is doing pretty good still very stiff and sore when he gets up then seems to do pretty good.