Thread: pros & cons of 6x6

Default pros & cons of 6x6

looking at buying a Polaris sportsman 6x6, could I get some pros and cons of owning and using one. Thanks

Pro- Nearly unstoppable. 800# capacity in the cargo box is sweet. Tough as nails.

Cons- Heavy. It'll toss you around like a rag doll. Lots of moving parts, although mine doesn't break (thank you Lord!). Even in 4 wheel it'll eat turf during a turn. My right lower leg sure gets warm! I guess that's a pro for the winter months.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

CON... rescued 2 of them in the Nelchena river after being flipped by the current.. where 4 wheelers had just crossed...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Pro-1. Can haul all your moose camp.
    2. Can by tracks for rear tires.

Con-1. Chain driven.
    2. Hard as hell to turn in a tight spot.
    3. More tires to buy.
    4. More parts.

Last but not least it's a Polaris. (Couldn't help it.)

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I've had mine since '04 and wouldn't trade it for anything but a new one!

Pros -

Hauling capacity

Comfortable

Handles rough trails MUCH better than a short wheelbased 4x4

Will climb out of a creek where 4x4s just teeter on their skid plate (I've climbed a 3' vertical with no problem)

Will comfortably climb MUCH steeper stuff than a 4x4 (notice I said "comfortably") very little risk of coming over backward

Will go places a 4x4 won't even think about (except between really tight trees...but that is what a chainsaw is for!)

Cons -

Chain drive requires more maintenance but is easy to do. I got over 1300 miles out of my original chain/sprocket set.

It's big (have a good winch 'cause it takes a lot to pull you out of a muck hole)

A little light on power but changing the drive sprocket to an 11 tooth from a 12 brought back a lot of torque for me.

The new 2010 6x6 is all shaft drive/independant suspension with an 800 EFI motor which fixed my two complaints about my rig.

You will find two kinds of people usually when it comes to 6x6's - love em hate em. The hate em crowd usually consists of those who abuse the machines or haven't kept up on the maintenance and their rig let them down. The love em crowd knows it is a machine and needs to be cared for.

Like I said, I wouldn't trade mine for anything but a new one!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I will go ahead and agree with what has been said, Chain driven is a major con. If you can afford it, get one of the new shaft driven ones.

I've never ridden a 6x6, but I've ridden with a few. One place I noticed they were getting left behind was going up a hill with a lot of technical turns. Hard right, hard left, rock in the middle, and uneven terrain. I think it was the extra length making the turning more difficult and the extra wheels being affected by the uneven terrain (took longer to get over stuff and the impact lasted longer). Also, it seemed they couldn't power slide around corners like the 4 wheelers. When it comes to hauling, going through mud, and riding the majority of the low land trails up here they should excel.

Lightbulb

i'd of gotten one but that "chain drive thing" got me down... that 2010 shaft drive sounds like the ticket!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default why turn ?

Hard left, hard right? What's that nonsense? With a 6x6 you just point it straight up and go. There is no way a 4x4 will climb what a 6x6 does or go where a 6x6 goes. Ask my hunting partner. I have several thousand miles on a chain drive 500 and yes, it requires more TLC than my new 800 6x6. But the new one is another step above in terms of performance. It rides better, handles better and naturally has lots more power. But it's also quite a bit thirstier, especially in low range. Packing an extra 5 gallons is mandatory for an off-trail, low range kind of day hunt.

I havent ridden a 6x6 but Ive followed one with my rzr, and pulled him out of stuck about 5 times..lol My exhaust was able to keep both our hands warm..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Pro- Will out preform any 4 wheeler made.
    Con- All your 4 wheeler buddies will want you to carry their extra gear on trips.
    Con-You have to pull the broken 4-wheeler up Monument because their buddies are afraid to.
    Con- everybody expects you to go cross country to haul out the moose they just shot.
    Con- Everybody will want you to cross the river first if it looks deep.

In all seriousness if you don't take your maintenance very serious don't buy a chain drive 6x6.

+1 on the 11 tooth sproket as well.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I havent ridden a 6x6 but Ive followed one with my rzr, and pulled him out of stuck about 5 times..lol My exhaust was able to keep both our hands warm..lol

Follow me....I promise to winch you out and not leave you walking out! There is no way a rzr will go where the 6x6's do. The chains should not be a deal breaker for anyone. Yes, more maintaince, but very dependable if you do. Yes, the newest on with shaft drive have alot more ground clearance and will go that much better. But like what was said above, I love my 700 4x4 with 28's on it, but when it is time to haul or the going gets real tough, the 700 stays home and out comes the trusty 6x6 tank!

I ride with a buddy that has owned three. The first was a 400cc 2-stroke. I named it the "Teflon Polaris" After several thousand miles he only stuck it once and it took three 4-wheelers to get him out. His second was a 500 4-stroke. He liked the motor but felt the machine was a little underpowered compaired to the 400cc 2-stroke. ( he should have tried the gear change mentioned above) His new toy is the 2010 800cc all shaft drive. He loves it so far. We will be riding several times in October. I'm looking forward to trying it - the ride is supposed to be much better then the older chain drive models.