Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: An Age Old Way To Keep The Bugs At Bay!

  1. #1

    Default An Age Old Way To Keep The Bugs At Bay!

    [Cross post... figured it deserved it's own thread!]


    Hi All-


    It was just brought to my attention that many are not aware of this, so I thought I would pass it on.


    In regard to keeping bugs / mosquitos / bees at bay:

    Thiamine, or Vitamin B-1 gets excreted in sweat and is an offensive aroma to bugs, yet not detected by humans.
    An extra dose of 50 mg a day should suffice, but PLEASE - check with your doc and pharmacist regarding any meds you may already be taking or any other possible reasons to steer clear from this age old Rx.


    Not a medical reference, but a link:


    http://www.epinions.com/review/Vitamin_B_1_Thiamine/content_158058974852


    And, for those who wish to pay more $$ to NOT swallow an inexpensive pill:


    http://www.insectpatch.com/products.php


    NO affiliation, just a 'fee-free' bene...


    Happy pest-free hunting and fishing!

    Doc

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    another old and easy way is to tie a fresh spruce branch to your head, it looks hilarious but it works!

  3. #3

    Default Welcome Aboard!

    Quote Originally Posted by @MB View Post
    another old and easy way is to tie a fresh spruce branch to your head, it looks hilarious but it works!
    First -- Welcome Aboard, @MB!

    I must inquire as to the meaning of your screen name... call me curious.

    Also -- regarding this 'technique' -- who needs camo -- just wear the tree and swat the flies! AND -- don't smoke! Love it!

    Got pics??
    Doc

  4. #4
    Member Nukalpiaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Another natural insect repellent that a person can use is Labador Tea. Eskimo people in Alaska, Canada and Greenland back in the day used to pick the leaves, rub them in their hands, then rub it on to their skin. Probably hang a few twigs of it on your hat too to ward off the mosquitos, then later in the evening make tea with it. Good thing to know when you are out of bug dope.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    - the name @MB means pretty much at Manitoba, where im from.

    sorry no pics, i dont think i could bring myself to post pictures of it, its just way to funny. especially to people who have no idea what your doing LOL.

    Nukalpiaq, that sounds like a great idea, labrador tea is quite good also.

  6. #6
    Member fishnngrinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    296

    Default Mosquitoes away

    Thanks for the info. I like the B-1 and spruce branch ideas much better than loading up on garlic. Avoiding mosqitoes is more than just avoiding irritation. I recently read from a reliable source that HIV can be transmitted through mosquito bites.
    NRA Lifetime Member

  7. #7
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Exclamation wrong and ignorant

    Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    ...a reliable source that HIV can be transmitted through mosquito bites.
    this ridiculous belief is totally wrong.

    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  8. #8

    Thumbs down

    If they can spread malaria, typhoid, lyme and other blood borne diseases, then it is only logcial that they could spread HIV as well. Too many people out there don't want to admit the truth. They would rather lie about it and cover up a taboo.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    206

    Default

    And your information source is . . .?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    I have to admit I do not know if Mosquitoes can or can’t transmit HIV. If you believe I mean really, then you will have no problems having Mosquitoes bite a person with HIV and then bite you.

    Who would like to be the first?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    206

    Default Read this if you're unsure

    I'll repost the link that a previous member added- have a look if you're unsure.

    http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm

  12. #12
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    I'll repost the link that a previous member added- have a look if you're unsure.
    you can't fix stupid... but points to you for trying.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I agree-
    Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770
    US diplomat & politician (1735 - 1826)

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Using a single peace of information to prove something is stupid and you know it. In stead of attacking the person, prove your point. If you can’t find any other information, repeating the same information or attacking a person only go to show you are more interested in promoting the lie.

    In your defense you may not have known at the time the information is wrong. If that is true, I will expect a public apology.

  15. #15
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Can...nsmit_AIDS.pdf

    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa32.htm

    http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/docu...sApril2006.pdf


    Rutgers University, University of Hawaii, Center for Disease Control...all credible sources.

    FWIW, the Army uses the Rutgers study as their formal stand. Rutting moose, here's the question: Is the Army intentionally misleading or is the Army stupid?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  16. #16
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Using a single peace (sic) of information to prove something is stupid ... prove your point.
    yep exactly.
    see RM, a university study is NOT a "single piece of information", it is the result of studying hundreds, if not thousands, of examples and experiments and coming up with a comprehensive analysis that is considered conclusive.
    as far as proving a point, any but the most devotedly ignorant would find the NUMEROUS studies cited proof that mosquitoes do not transmit HIV.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  17. #17
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    only way to be safe....only go out in winter....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    Using a single peace of information to prove something is stupid and you know it. In stead of attacking the person, prove your point. If you can’t find any other information, repeating the same information or attacking a person only go to show you are more interested in promoting the lie.

    In your defense you may not have known at the time the information is wrong. If that is true, I will expect a public apology.
    If I understand your point, Homerdave linked to a study refuting the idea of HIV transmission via mosquito. You castigate him, and I suppose me, for relying on a single study for verification of his stand. Yet you quote no sources, scientific or otherwise, for your contention. Am I missing something here, or did you quote sources that support your view?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    There is a history of certain people on this forum who prefer to attack (bully) a person, instead of presenting facts. There are rules on this forum against making personal attacks, and I would never call a person stupid because we all know that is wrong.

    It makes me wonder why the moderator keeps giving them a free pass when the attacks continue.

    Phish Finder:
    Thank you, for taking the time and making the effort to find more information. I will read the information you found. I hope other people learn from your example.

    Anc Guy, Why?
    If I do, homer dave will just call me more names.

  20. #20
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    instead of presenting facts.

    my very first post on this thread was presenting facts, which for some reason were ignored... not refuted, just ignored. nobody said
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I will read the information you found. I hope other people learn from your example.
    why phish gets thanked for going to the trouble (trouble? google "HIV transmission mosquitoes") of posting MORE documentation is beyond me.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •