Thread: Highbush Cranberry Recipes?

Default Highbush Cranberry Recipes?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any HB Cranberry recipes they would be willing to share? This is my first year using cranberries, found some last weekend and planning to get more. I would be interested in making jams/jellies but also saw online some references to cranberry butter (sounds yummy!) Making "Cooking Alaskan" cookbook has tons of recipes for lowbush, but not for highbush

Thanks!

Default High bush cranberrys

Those large seeds make them less desirable to me, so I'd rather spend my time harvesting the low bush variety. I did harvest a gallon of high bush cranberries two weeks ago and turned them into cranberry juice which I then mixed with rhubarb and honey. After cooking the rhubard in the juice, this sour mess turns into a tasty cranberry/rhubard sauce that goes well with french toast or pancakes. If I ever juice any of these cranberries again, I'll try making cranberry vinegar.

I've tried doing Ketchup. It works very well. Also you can change the recipe (add liquid smoke, brown sugar, etc) to taste to make BBQ sauce.

ketchup-

Cook until soft: 1 lb onions chopped fine, 4 lbs (8 cups) highbush cranberry, 2 cups water. Rub through a coarse sieve. Add 2 cups vinegar, 4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon each of ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice, salt, celery seed and pepper (white pepper if you have it.) Boil until thick, pour into sterilized jars and seal. Serve with poultry, meat or baked beans.

Cranberry Rhubarb

Simmer and mash together: 1 qt. cranberries, 1 qt. finely cut rhubarb, 3 cups water. Strain through wet jelly bag. Add 1 cup sugar to each qt of juice. Heat to 170 degree for 1 minute. Pour into sterilized bottles, cap and cool quickly, store in cool dark place.

Jelly-

To extract juice: Add 3 cups water to 2 cups berries, simmer for about 5 minutes, mashing berries while they simmer, and strain through a jelly bag.

To make jelly: Use commercial pectin and follow the recipe for currant jelly, or use 2/3 cup sugar to 1 cup juice and boil until jelly stage is reached.

http://www.veseys.com/us/en/learn/re...ipes/cranberry
    That's what she said...

Default ketchup

I also make ketchup with the highbush cranberries. I use the recipe in Cooking ALaskan, and it is wonderful. It is especially good on gameburgers. It can also be used in a marinade for wild ducks, goose, ptarmigan or grouse. It isn't easy to find enough of these on POW, but I'm slowly finding enough patches that I should have a fairly steady supply of them.

Cook cranberries in a pan a bit with some sauce, wine, pine nuts, spices, whatever you like, then dice it up. Then stir this mixture into some rice. Sounds weird, but good stuff and is a different way to use cranberries.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Cook cranberries in a pan a bit with some sauce, wine, pine nuts, spices, whatever you like, then dice it up. Then stir this mixture into some rice. Sounds weird, but good stuff and is a different way to use cranberries.

i have made a tart jam with them similar t yours there... ( minus pine nuts) and put a bit of crushed red pepper ( the sweet one) in there and used it as a rub for salmon before grilling.

also do the on the rice... except will use evapo. milk for 1/3 the water to make it stiffer
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds like it would be good on salmon, thanks!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.